How to find an apartment or room in Munich

141 posts in this topic

Question to all: my wife and I are moving to Munich in September and I've found that many places, which could comfortably room a young couple, are often left for one person. I've inquired to some landlards if an exception could be made and for some reason they don't want married couples living there. I know this may be considered wrong, but has anyone here lied about being a couple and then rented a place? Just wondering, not saying I'll try it, but I've heard from a couple people saying they've done this.

Hello , I wonder if any of you had dealed before with Immobilienscout24

http://www.immobilienscout24.de

I have find an apartment and we have asked the owner to meet and see the app. She told me that we are supposed to put an amount consisting in first rent and a part of kaution into a bank account of imobillienscout , and they will send us the contract and the keys by post . I do not really trust the procedure . My question :are there any information or previous customers of this site among you who can add some references? thanks in advance! rodica

Immoscout is great, but you do need to be aware that there are - unfortunately - also scammers operating on all accommodation sites, who will offer you an amazing flat at an unbelievably cheap price. Anyone wanting you to transfer money and they'll send you the keys, forget it. That's a scam, 100% sure. Anyone offering you a flat with air conditioning, forget it. That's a scam, 99% sure. If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is just that.

See the threads Beware of accommodation scams and Apartment rental scam suspected for some hallmarks of scam accommodation adverts.

I have find myself also , 'Betrug mit Wohnungsangeboten

Eine tolle Wohnung zu einem Schnäppchenpreis – ein Angebot, das zu gut ist, um wahr zu sein. Gerade bei Immobilienbörsen im Internet können Wohnungssuchende auf Betrüger hereinfallen. Die Masche läuft fast immer gleich ab: Die Scammer geben sich als Engländer oder Amerikaner aus, die die zu vermietende Wohnung geerbt hätten. Oder sie erzählen, sie hätten mal in Deutschland gearbeitet und wollten die alte Bleibe nach einem beruflich bedingten Wechsel ins Ausland vermieten. Nach einer Vorauszahlung der ersten Miete und der Kaution per Bargeldtransfer beispielsweise mit Western Union sollten dem neuen Mieter die Schlüssel über den Paketdienst DHL oder eine Agentur geschickt werden. Bei Nichtgefallen könne das Geld ja später wieder erstattet werden. Doch das Geld sehen die Opfer nie wieder, und auch die Wohnung existiert oft gar nicht oder gehört einem anderen Eigentümer, der vom Betrug selbst nichts mitbekommt.

pretty easy to understand , Ja it was a'' tolle'' one :unsure: keep searching! Thank you!

Hi,

I'm starting a Job in Munich from 1st July and therefore i'm looking for a small apartment for me and my wife for 2 months during which we will be looking for more permanent one. I found some short term rentals on property4you.de , does anyone know that company, is it reliable? It's a bit weird for me that they want you to send request along with scan of your ID or passport.

Hi guys,

I'm new in this form and I'm happy to find a so great community for sharing German experiences.

I'm moving from Italy to Munich at the beginning of August to start a new job. My wife and my child will join me in September.

As you can imagine I'm looking for a FURNISHED accommodation (a 2-bedrooms flat/apt.) but I'm struggling to find something reasonable.

I'm willing to stay up to 15km from the city center (in a well-connected area) but still accomodations seem really expensive. At this point, following suggestions also from this thread:

- Mr Lodge: not some many 3 rooms apts, prices (at the moment) starting from 1400 euro and they seem to be located in the city center or close to it (so no way to find something cheap)

- Liz Frey: astronomical rent/fee and a very few offers

- HomeCompany Munich: small offer and expensive

- immobilienscout24.de: lot of offers but I really can't understand if/when accomodations come furnished. Agency fees are insane, usually 2-2.5 month rent, private do not respond to contact requests.

So, I'm getting a little desparate. Can some of you answers to these questions, please?

- if I would like to stay up to 30min by train to the city center, 2 bedrooms accommodation, in a nice but not chic area, how much am I supposed to pay as monthly rent? Is it feasable 1100-1200 euro for a furnished apt?

- any suggestion on how to avoid paying high agency fees as 2-months+ rent?

- any siggestion about areas to search according to what I am looking for?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much

Hi everyone,

a friend of mine who recently relocated to Munich from Basel is looking for an apartment there. Has sent 100+ Emails to adverts in WG Gesucht / Immowelt / Immobilienscout!!

The responses he receives are very direct enquiry about his country of origin (every single).

While most of the rejections thereafter are silent, one particular person has very explicitly mentioned that he would share his flat only with German / Austrian. (His original Email indicates that he is new comer in Germany, however does not provide any information about his origin.)

Is this something which can be forwarded to Antidiskriminierungsstelle? Apparently a clear breach of Allgemeine Gleichbehandlungsgesetz.

PS: Non-smoker, single, no pet, Wochenendeheimfahrer, Netto Salary approximately 7 times of the rent of the apartments he is applying for, - does not tick almost any of the undesirable checkpoints

Could anyone please let me know if the rule is going to change regarding the commission/provision? I heard that from June 1st, tenants don't need to pay any commission. The agents can get the commission from landlords

Is it true?

Hello everybody!

My boyfriend and me are moving to Munich soon (in middle September). Right now we are searching an apartment (near the city centre).

Our problem is the next one: everyone has told us that a apartment costs near 1200 euros, but we have seen in Internet apartments near 500 euros (furnished). How is this possible? Anything that should be have in consideration?

How do we do to be sure that after paying the reservation we will not be scammed? (because we live in South America). Is there anyway to make this thing safely from the distance?

Thanks for your answers

Topics merged by admin

Hi Gsch

EUR500 in the city center is a nearly impossible feat if you are looking for a two-room furnished apartment. Chances are very high that it is a scam.

Gsch, can you post links to these apartment listings for 500 euros? We could then examine them and give you an opinion as to their plausibility.

Sorry, I don't want to let you down, but I don't think it is possible to find an apartment in Munich from the distance. I'll give you the big picture: 

- It is almost impossible to find an apartment near the city center even if you are living here.

- For 1200 euros, you migth get near the city center around a 50m2 app. 

- 500 euros is witout any doubt a SCAM. 

If you end up asking yourself: Is this too good to be true? then you don't need an answer; it is a scam. 

I wish you luck in your search! And althought the search is depressing, Munich is worth it!  

If they tell you you're a good Christian, are out of the country, and a friend will let you see the flat/handover the keys after you pay a deposit by western union then it's a scam.

Basically you never pay anything until you have actually seen the apartment. 

If they tell you you're a good Christian, are out of the country, and a friend will let you see the flat/handover the keys after you pay a deposit by western union then it's a scam.

Basically you never pay anything until you have actually seen the apartment. 

​This is so straightforward but never too often repeated... 

I would like that some "Vice"-like news team would try to sum up the amounts these scams actually gather 

Our problem is the next one: everyone has told us that a apartment costs near 1200 euros, but we have seen in Internet apartments near 500 euros (furnished).

​You sure that's a monthly price and not a weekly one? Apartments aren't normally rented furnished except as holiday or short-term lets, which are usually priced weekly. The only two other options are that it's not actually in Munich, or that it's a scam as suggested above.

Thank you everybody for this helpful answers!!! 

Actually, what brought us more suspicion was that everyone that answered us was living in the UK and not in Germany. What a coincidence! 

Definitely we have to wait until we arrive to Munich to look for an apartment or WG. Or at least to start a contact near our arrival date.

Once again, thank you. You have saved us 500€. Ha ha

Hi guys,

I'm new in this form and I'm happy to find a so great community for sharing German experiences.

I'm moving from Italy to Munich at the beginning of August to start a new job. My wife and my child will join me in September.

As you can imagine I'm looking for a FURNISHED accommodation (a 2-bedrooms flat/apt.) but I'm struggling to find something reasonable.

I'm willing to stay up to 15km from the city center (in a well-connected area) but still accomodations seem really expensive. At this point, following suggestions also from this thread:

- Mr Lodge: not some many 3 rooms apts, prices (at the moment) starting from 1400 euro and they seem to be located in the city center or close to it (so no way to find something cheap)

- Liz Frey: astronomical rent/fee and a very few offers

- HomeCompany Munich: small offer and expensive

- immobilienscout24.de: lot of offers but I really can't understand if/when accomodations come furnished. Agency fees are insane, usually 2-2.5 month rent, private do not respond to contact requests.

So, I'm getting a little desparate. Can some of you answers to these questions, please?

- if I would like to stay up to 30min by train to the city center, 2 bedrooms accommodation, in a nice but not chic area, how much am I supposed to pay as monthly rent? Is it feasable 1100-1200 euro for a furnished apt?

- any suggestion on how to avoid paying high agency fees as 2-months+ rent?

- any siggestion about areas to search according to what I am looking for?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much

​you were looking for furnished 2-bedrooms apt and then got surprised when you get prices ?!!??

hmm those italians

Do you have any tips how can I  increase my chances to make appointment?

Any things I should/shouldnt mention in the message?

So far I answer approx. to 20 adverts a day and it ends with one appointment. Here is the text I'm sending:

Guten Tag! Ich interessriere mich in Ihre Wohnung. Ich möchte mit meiner Frau dort zu leben. Wir denken die Lokation ist perfekt fuer uns. Ich arbeite als IT Teamleiter<company name>  (gehalt 3100euro/Monat nett) und meine Frau ist Komputerentzwikler. Wir sind seit 3 Jahren im Muenchen. Wir suchen zwei oder drei Zimmer Wohnung. Wir hätten gerne Ihre Wohnung besuchen. Bitte schreiben Sie mir wenn das möglich ist.

Maybe there are things I can improve in my template so I get more responses?