How to find an apartment or room in Munich

141 posts in this topic

what about http://www.cs-wohnungsagentur.de/amikaro.html

does anybody have any feedback about them?

My experiences of moving to Munich (from Frankfurt):

I used a similar site to the above called Vermiet Dienst which costs EUR25.95 for 90 days, which like a few other sites sites contain a list of provision-free apartments advertised elsewhere eg Suddeutsche Zeitung. I found it helpful in the sense that I did not have to spend a lot of time scanning other websites or buying newspapers.

But the website is not as user-friendly as cs-wohnungsagentur updated link

You cannot put any specific requirements like Balcony or Garage as you can with cs-wohnungsagentur. And the price for cs-wohnungsagentur is EUR29.95 for 6 months which is cheaper in the long run. Athough had already registered with VermietDienst so was did not bother with registering with cs-wohnungsagentur as it seemed to have the same ads.

You can view the apartment ads of both sites without registering, but to see the contact details of the landlord you need to register.

Hi!

I'm going to work in DoCoMo for a period of 3 months, starting on 14/09/2007, and I'm having huge problems finding a place.

Does anyone know someone that has a room available?

Thanks!

What are your problems? There are loads of apartments available. What's your budget? In what area would you like to live? Roughly what sized apartment are you looking for? Do you want furnished or unfurnished?

Presumably for 3 months you'd be wanting furnished. So...budget, size and location?

And what is DoCoMo? I'm guessing it's a company of some description rather than a little-known Bavarian village.

Hi,

DoCoMo is a research lab in Munich.

One of the problems is that I don'tn speak german...

Another problem is finding something without having to pay to a relocation agency.

I'm looking for a studio or a room (furnished), the nearest possible to DoCoMo (or in a such way that it is to get there by public transportation; I think that there is a train station nearby: Liam...). The address for DoCoMo is

Landsberger Straße 312

80687 Munich

Probably it is easier to use GoogleMaps: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...p;z=13&om=1

Related to budget, as cheap as possible :-) For a room, it could be something like €300, €350. For a studio, I would say €500.

Thank you!

I have been looking for 3 weeks and only one lead. But when i called the guy it was gone... I just cant afford provision. I have a work/residance permit good for the next three years!! Does any one know if I can get help from the wohnungs amt?

I just had my first experience with apartment searching and renting today.

OMG! I am, for certain, not in Kansas anymore.

About 30 people filed into this small apartment and milled around looking at, and into, everything. It was a bit disorienting, actually. For me, looking for a place is easy. Besides the obvious neighborhood/location/style choices, I have two criteria about any apartment I will rent: a separate eating area from the living room, and a good sized bathroom. This place had both. So after seeing the apartment for 15 seconds, I was all set to rent it. The other prospective renters were studying the molding and floors and door jams, everything really. So I went and asked my real agent (who was with me representing me) how do I do the deal? She said we have to fill out paperwork, send in a letter about what a great tenant I will be, my income, how long I will be renting it, etc. I asked how a landlord decides who gets the place, and suggested we offer 100Eu per month MORE than the asking price. Boom! I thought she was going to throw me down the stairs, she hustled me out of earshot so fast. Apparently, bidding up the asking price is a big no-no.

I work for a big German company and make a decent living (and the company pays all the bills here), so I guess I should be hopeful about getting the apartment. But I don't think I can do much more of this apartment hunting. If my experience was typical, then I wish everyone out there the best of luck in landing a place to live. You'll need it!

I have a question about pets. I own a cat with my girlfriend. And we are looking for flat at the moment.

Often landlords ask if we own an animal in the application. I was wondering how important it was for them and therefore should we tell the truth about?

How often people with pets get rejected?

I found an awesome place and I do not want to miss it. So should I tell the truth or not?

Thanks,

Koubiak

hello,

i got a mail from someone who says he is in "west africa". while searching , i found it's a scam.

is there any such scam while searching for aprt?

We had great success using http://www.cs-wohnungsagentur.de

You must pay 40 or 50 Euro to join initially, but when compared to the Provision an agent would cost, it is well worth it. It has all Provision free listings in one location, with tons of listings! We actually found a great 5 room apartment, that was listed on Immobilien Scout through an agent...but the agent through which it was listed wouldn't call me back because I was asking him if he could speak English since our German isn't very good (and this guy spoke perfect English mind you). Turns out the SAME apartment was listed on cs-w through the owner directly. We not only got out of paying provision, but ALSO were able to negotiate on the price of the apartment!!!

I didn't think it would work, but it did. I assumed all great apartments that met all of our requirements, would naturally have an agent representing them. But not so - Praise God!

Wanted to share with you all, because someone else had asked earlier in the thread if cs-w worked and I don't believe their answer was ever fully satisfied.

Good luck!

Dunno if this one was mentioned before, and don't have the inclination to read all three pages, but I found my last two apartments here Provisionsfrei.

Wohnungsboerse

It cost (I think) €60 for a lifetime membership, all listings are without Provision.

I had great experience finding furnished flats for a great rate for myself when I first moved here and for guests (cheaper than most hotel rooms). You can rent an apartment for one night to several years.

www.statthotel.de

They have an english site as well.

Hi Everyone,

Im viewing an apartment later today, a really great apartment that I would love to take, but Im not sure what to bring.

In Canada, its typical to bring banking information (for the credit check) and names/numbers of a few references. Is the same info required in Munich???

Thanks in advance,

emac

I moved in to a place 5 years ago and all that Ms. Landlord wanted was to fill out a paper with information about me,

like Name, actual address, pets, musical instruments. I heard once that it is illegal to ask about pets or musical instruments,

but nobody cares about that. That is called Selbstauskunft in german.

Basically you don´t need any banking information. For most people in this part of the world, your - and also their - income

or possession is very private. So it is o.k. if you state that you have some income.

Hey all,

Just incase you have come into contact with a certain person who is scamming in Berlin AND Munich

I think this person is a total con artist . She calls herself Catherine/Sherry (clearly not a skilled con artist, keeps forgetting her own "name") and asked me firstly to send money to her secretary Rueben Duckworth in Berlin and then her boss James Peter in China. She sent me pics of a sweet 1-bedroom apt with a nice kitchen, bathroom and livingroom for €550 + €550 deposit, gave me loads of details of the place but never an exact street address. Also first asked to have money transferred to her secretary in Berlin firstly and then China. She also is talking about sending me keys by post ... as you can see I kept the email conversation going for quite a while and she just dug herself deeper and deeper. Watch out for her - she works at least partly through TT and is up to tricks in Munich too: http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t24795.html

Very, very suspect ... take care while apartment hunting folks smile.gif

One day I spent several hours searching for apartments on the web by cut-and-pasting adverts into Babel Fish, and using the Google translation tool... it works well enough. I would e-mail landlords/owners asking them (in very poor German) to please respond to my e-mail in English if possible, and most of them would. I wanted to try and avoid the evil provision fee and so I registered with http://www.cs-wohnungsagentur.de, which cost about 40 Euro (through paypal), though the selection on that site is not as good as www.immobilienscout24.de (which is free to sign up).

I also paid about 35 Euro to place an 'apartment wanted' ad in the paper, Sueddeutsche Zeitung, and got a few bites but not too many. It seems best to leave a local/Munich phone number for interested people to call; I hardly received any replies by e-mail. I think though it's also worthwhile to post an 'apartment wanted' ad on Toytown, every few days or so (but don't forget to delete your old ads)!

I found a great apartment in Munich via the Immobilien Scout24 site. Unfortunately a lot of the flats/apartments advertized on that site are not provision-free, but there is a large selection available and once you set up your preferred search criteria, you are kept up-to-date with respect to new apartments that come on the market. It seems pretty difficult (but not impossible) to avoid paying the provision fee here.

My ignorant newcomer questions:

What is the difference between Provision and Kaution? I thought they both meant "deposit", but some ads mention both. If an ad mentions nebenkosten, is that amount per month or per year?

Thanks for the advice here - I will shortly be transferring to Munich and have no experience in Germany.