Life in Regensburg/Ratisbon

51 posts in this topic

I was also in Regensburg for several months. the earlier comments are spot on, but I would like to add a couple more.

Apts. in city center can be hard to find (especially if you are in the same price range as the students).

there is a great library on (I think) Haidplatz (where Rote-Hahnen-Gasse ends).

summertime brings a surprisingly large number of tourists to town (a lot of them seem to be Dutch - but that was just my perception).

on the west side of town, there is a cool swimming pool (West Bad), with both indoor 50m pools and outdoor "fun" pools.

there are also a couple music festivals during the summer. Jazz fest is the big one. (when is that?)

in total, R-burg has all you need to live a quite normal life. but don't expect too much excitement.

oh, and the European Baseball championships are played there too. :-)

Jazzfest is this upcoming weekend. The library you mentioned (yes it's at Haidplatz) also has a fairly respectable English section. Worth noting.

And yeah, the tourists do tend to be quite Dutch. The baseball is fun. Highschool level, but fun notheless.

Yeah I admit the library has a good selection of English books on hand. I go there so often I forgot about it. Its right around the corner from where I live and that is nice.

Really I run into more American tourist than anything this summer. But in the winter I saw more German tourist.

Jazzfest is this upcoming weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the link for the jazz festival in Regensburg, if anyone is interested.

Are there any other festivals in Regensburg? How much is the entrance ticket to the swimming pool?

Sounds like a nice but quiet town. Not as scary as I first thought, especially if you guys are around to hang out sometimes too. And if there is satellite tv, and DSL internet, I can hibernate over winter too.

Colleague moving there just got a place near to the train station (10mins) for €325 a month for 40sq m warm, with a underground parking lot too. If I have to move there, can save some money to buy a car. :)

with the baseball, I saw 2 games last year and enjoyed them. The Irish team was VERY good (at least college level, maybe even minors). but yea, the team from Finnland was still working on some of the basics. but they were more than welcome to the competition and everyone was supportive of them - that really reminded me of the Little League days :-)

wow didnt know i had fellow tters in the town! thats crazy. I might add for english books jokers just off heidplatz (nicknamed pfaffendorf by some) has a selection of english books for cheap. Robert runs the english selection and is definately up to date with those sort of things, he's quite a nice guy despite the apearance. :) cinimaxx has an original version monday and some of the smaller theaters such as garbo have ov's on occasion you just have to watch out for them.

A lot of the ex pats hang out in murphies law, which is more of a winter (or this kind of weather hang out) tends to be a good laugh down there, especially since dave bonny has been banned.

apartments in regensburg tend to be cheaper to find if you speak very good german and have a obviously reliable source of income. finding a suitable apartment in the altstadt can be hard though, the locals guess an average searching time of three months (but that is a german time frame)

why kfc? who actually eats there? are you not dead yet? its across the river anyway and takes a long time to get to. deffinately not a drunken stop by.

anyone who spends any time in regensburg should get to know wurstltony! its a little sausage stand that opens at five in the morning! filled with wierdos drunkards and people off to an early shift. its a good laugh and fantastic people watching!

thats all i can really think of saying about good old regensburg besides if you want to go for a beer pm me, will be stopping by on sat. I am staying in munich doing a course right now, which finishes on tues, so after that i should be in town normally.

My wife did University there and was forever complaining about the grey skies - if you are a sunshine lover, Regensburg ain't your town. I loved visiting, though - one of the easiest cities to just waste time.

PH: What did you do to waste time in Regensburg? Saw a lot of guys just hanging out at the shopping mall near the train station when I was there last week.

Too bad I had to rush back to Munich, otherwise I'd love to spend a hour or two just walking around that place.

Wasting time ... well, there's a Media Markt ... a few beer gardens, some sightseeing, wandering around the Old Town, boat trip down to Valhalla ... Thurn and Taxis ...

thats all i can really think of saying about good old regensburg besides if you want to go for a beer pm me,
Well reading your profile you are Canadian but will not hold that against you(J/K). But I will not watch hockey

PH: What did you do to waste time in Regensburg? Saw a lot of guys just hanging out at the shopping mall near the train station when I was there last week.

Too bad I had to rush back to Munich, otherwise I'd love to spend a hour or two just walking around that place.

Aldtstadt is where to go...

@iain or kermit

Do you know whats going on at the main plaza? Just passed there and there about 50 copss there. They are also not wearing the usual attire. They are dressed in blue attire but still armed. They are sitting around in there vans (10 vans I think) looking around...

FYI Regenburgers.

I just wanted to pass on an experience here from the last two saturdays at Bismarkplatz. There is a German/Mexican couple there operating a food cart which is pretty darn good. Now there are limitations on what they offer but what I had was more than enjoyable(tacos con pollo) for €2 and a special 3 for 5. I also walked away buying two cans of refried black beans for about €5. Not bad cheaper and better than Edeka or Kaufland. So anyway check them out at bismark platz on Saturday morning/afternoon during the farmers market.

Hey dude... Sounds gooood.

I'll have to find an excuse to come down for the day soon - to eat some proper mexican food for a change...

We've had their tacos (and Corona) too - so yummy and REAL Mexican food. Oh, how I'm missing that these days! Do you know of any other hidden gems like that around??

Well I will post some up later along with info for the english play group.

Now Regensburgers remember Bürgerfest is coming up. Great food great beer along all over the aldtstadt along with that the best beer in the world will be there( Weltenburger Kloster cooking burgers as well as their potion). So if you do not know the aldtstadt very well I recommend getting a map because it will be packed on both sides of the river and it will be very easy for a newcomer to get lost. I am seriously thinking of vacating my place in the aldtstadt to for a week because it will be sheer madness.

Uh-oh. We are in the aldtstadt as well - with 2 little ones... So, what is Bürgerfest?? How long is it? I am in need of the scoop here. Thanks!!!