Favourite British foods not available in Germany

142 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Deutschified said:

I went into The English Shop in city-centre Cologne the other day and was amazed to be met with the prices of:

• Heinz Beans: €2.38
  • Double Decker Chocolate Bar: €2.29
  • Walkers Salt and Vinegar: €2.20
  • Twix: €2.25

I did a really quick scan and left. When I lived in California it wasn't so expensive and they'd traveled much further! 

Ahh well. 

Yep, I avoid that shop. Even the beans you can get in real for half the price. Total rip off. 

1 hour ago, Adem137 said:

Yep, I avoid that shop. Even the beans you can get in real for half the price. Total rip off. 

I can't say I miss anything from home that much to pay a 200% mark up on it! Be cheaper to fly home and gorge myself on it.

You can buy Heinz Beans in Rewe and Mcvities Digestive biscuits.

The fridge Heinz Baked Beans packs are also available in Kaufland.

Lay's crisps/chips are also very delicious :) It seems that they are walkers crisps just have a different name in Germany. (See link below)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay's

What I really miss are pork pies, sausage rolls and scotch eggs.

On 2/3/2017, 9:45:25, Uncle Nick said:

Chio have an acceptable version of Salt & Vinegar crisps

Liddl do some pretty good Salt & Vinegar Kettle crisps

kaufland beans taste better than heinz in my opinion, special offer on heinz beans in pennymarkt at the moment

12 hours ago, garry entropy said:

kaufland beans taste better than heinz in my opinion, special offer on heinz beans in pennymarkt at the moment

Thanks for the information. I will try them. (Kauflands own)  I love baked beans!

14 hours ago, Anna66 said:

What I really miss are pork pies, sausage rolls and scotch eggs.

- have you thought of making your own?

The sausage rolls and scotch eggs are easy enough - not too sure about pork pies, but then, I am vegetarian, so wouln't touch them with a bargepole anyway!

Having said that, I have been known to make Sosmix rolls myself, and they were very good!

Found a pork pie recipe here that sounds good, if you are into that sort of thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/may/23/nigel-slater-pork-pie-recipe

15 hours ago, garry entropy said:

EDEKA also sell their own brand of baked beans, which in my opinion taste just the same as Heinz, which they also sell. The EDEKA ones cost about 90 cents whereas the Heinz ones cost about €1,60

There was a recent offer of "4 for the price of 3" Heinz Baked Beans at our local Marktkauf.

I grabbed the last 4.

If you're particularly lazy, you can buy a variety of Heinz beans products (and Tomato soup) online from allyouneedfresh.de. Still on the hunt for somewhere selling Branston Pickle and not pricing it by its weight in gold.

beanz.JPG

Why it is so hard to find normal stuff like fresh baby corn, fresh Kale, Washed baby spinach etc. in Germany.

Baby Spinach I have found some times in Edeka, but have never seen Corn and Fresh kale.

All of these were so easily available in UK in normal stores like Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco and even Aldi and Lidl and not very expensive also.

Baby Corn is something I always miss here. Found some frozen ones yesterday in Edeka, but again not sure why there is a hate relationship with fresh baby corn here.

Fresh kale is a seasonal vegetable in Germany, it's available during the winter months. I find it at the weekly farmer's markets.

Baby spinach I can find at Tegut and Rewe. 

Never looked for baby corn. 

@Lavender Rain Yes I found Kale in Farmers shop once, but why its not available in supermarkets like other veggies.

Also, baby corn used to be there in all supermarkets for even a pound, but never seen it here :

34 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Baby Corn is something I always miss here. 

mk.jpg.275daa5a20c06e126d7ed80017497005.

fresh baby corn

At Asia stores...

51 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Yes I found Kale in Farmers shop once, but why its not available in supermarkets like other veggies.

Season calendar for kale:

Gruenkohl_Saisonkalender.jpg.1bb1ed2f58f

You'll only find it at Farmer's markets in the season...

And that's how it looks in the supermarket:

gk.jpg.8f1b7abfcee7f3d3afad938aff0a64b7.

(Leftmost and rightmost product is to be found in the fridge for frozen food, the glasses (in the middle of the picture) on a shelf)

At least in the north, Edeka very often has baby spinat. Occasionally fresh baby corn (Famila too)

Kale is Grünkohl and is widely available during Grünkohl season. Frozen, jar canned all year long.

Baby corn is mostly imported from places like India/Ghana/Thailand.   We have a Thai store that has all the exotic vegetable imports flown in and refrigerated, if that is what you like.  Have the tried the Orient shop in Munich?  They say they have a wide range of imported exotic "fresh"vegetables including baby corn cobs.

http://www.orientshop.net/exotisches.php

Rosenheimer Str. 38
81669 München