Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Landshut

33 posts in this topic

Hi

I am seriously thinking of moving to Landshut (Weihmichl and Altfraunhofen) in October, but I need some insight on this town.

The way of living, people... how will life be for a young family of three?

There's a river there I think. I've only passed through on the train. Looks like an old city type place.

much like many towns in Bavaria/Germany, there are a couple of very nice streets in the center with well cared for and nice buildings. the river stretch is quite nice too. Have only been there for a few hours though - seemed fine but no idea how the people are so to speak. Maybe you should wait and see if you get an airport based job before ending up there

"just that no-one wants to go there.. "

Why doesn't anyone want to go there?

What other place would you then recommend?

I was to work at the MUC Airport?

What's wrong with Landshut? :huh:

Sorry, just saw this post. Landshut is my Lieblingsstadt. I think it's gorgeous. To visit. Wouldn't really want to live there.

The old town is spectacular, described by Rough Guides as, "One of the most visually striking towns in Germany". The rest of the city is relatively modern and doesn't have so much to distinguish it from any other German town.

One reason I wouldn't want to live there is that it doesn't have a great deal of nightlife for its size. I realise that this may not bother you too much. The other reason is that I find it a great place to visit, but too much of a good thing... My favourite excursion is cycling along the river from Freising to Landshut (you can start in Munich if you're fit), then having a look around the town, then heading to the Volksfest (Dult) when it's on in spring and autumn.

I think it would be a good place to live. I know someone who's just moved there to start up a family. It's not much good if you want great nightlife, but when you get a bit older...!

I have to say I'm *not* surprised that no-one's commented on this post; my experience with ex-pats in Munich is that very few of them have been to any of the beautiful towns surrounding Munich; Wasserburg, Landsberg, Freising and Landshut being the ones that spring to mind, and all within an hour of Munich.

I think you'd be happy if you moved to Landshut, it's a nice corner of Germany.

BTW, the Landshuter Hochzeit starts this weekend. It's the largest historical re-enactment in Germany, and there won't be a Münchner Expat in sight!

:D

Thanks so much for your reply Small Town Boy.

Your reply has been very helpful. I would not mind to stay there, I think!

At the moment we will not be going out so much.. But once in

a while we would probably like to go and have a beer at some kind

of a pub.

If you should rate Landshut's nightslife out of 10. How much

would you rate it?

Is it a great place to raise a family...?

At the moment we will not be going out so much.. But once in

a while we would probably like to go and have a beer at some kind

of a pub.

Well I mean they have pubs! It's not THAT quiet! :D

I'd maybe give it a score of 5 or 6 out of 10 for nightlife. But it has enough pubs and restaurants to keep you going if you don't want to go crazy every night, which I imagine you don't.

I'm not really sure about the ins and outs of raising a family there. There's probably quite a few English-speakers lurking there, what with Landshut International Airport (as they like to think it is) just down the road. I think it would probably be a good place, but I can't really be more specific.

If it's any consolation pixie, I work near Landshuterallee in town, and there are some really impressive buildings there, the famous Mercedes building at one end, Ernst Young's offices and a great Indian restaurant. If Landshut is anything like this cool street, it must be a great place.

I have quite a number of colleagues who moved to Landshut from Munich (and now commute to downtown Munich every day), because real estate is much cheaper there and they prefer to raise kids in a more "countryside" sort of environment. For all I know, they are quite happy there (they are all German, though). I think it's a beautiful town, and very livable. Of course sort of small-townish compared to Munich, but not overly provincial. However, I do think you need to be reasonably proficient in German if you want to take part in local community life.

I know quite a few people who work at the airport but live in munich (or Johaniskirchen, or leuchtenberg s-bahn stops).

I spent my first two years in Germany in a smaller city - my bet is you will be more likely to learn the language in that environment - provided you want to learn the language.

@ Small Town Boy - I will be at the Landshutter Hochzeit ! (But I'll be the ex-pat speaking German ) :ph34r:

This really helps, thanks. I did not know that Landshut had an airport,, I'll check it out.

How would you compare Freising with Landshut?

Hmmm. I guess the reference to "Landshut Airport" was a joke (i.e. refering to Munich Airport, because it is as close to Landshut as it is to Munich).

yes landshut is absolutely beautiful town..very fairytale like i think. I am actually thinking about moving there myself but as a student to learn german...or brush up on the little german that i know. i was there in the summer 2005 and fall in love with it, kept returning to it for day trips and biking from munich. so if any one is looking for a room mate or know of some one who has a room in landshut please let me know it would be really appreciated :)

Been living in Bavaria now for a long time.Landshut is a nice place.Very historic and has a famous catherdral there.A lot of expats live there actually idf you class 6 families a lot and some have even bought houses there.Long way from Münich but then again you could go in the other direction to visit beautiful places like Deggendorf.

hi everybody..i lived in landshut when i was 9-10 and i went to Carl-orff Schule.Landshut was amazing for me because i went there from Turkey and there was not delicious candys,ice-creams,pizzas and chocolates in my town :) so at first,i lost my mind :S

i dont remember very well but i guess,we were living beside of a little hill or something like that..Landshut was very big for me or my horizon was very tiny..i don't why but when i remember somethings about landshut,my eyes to fill with tears.. :( i know it's stupid..i wish go to there one more time.whatever..(i am sorry about my bad English)go there..

I realize this is an old forum, but as someone who has been living in Landshut for almost two years now, I felt it was time to qualify this discussion with an opinion from someone who actually lives here for any future readers. Most people's first impression of Landshut is a great one. It is a beautiful city. I never get 'used to' the beauty, or tire of it. It is much smaller than Munich, and obviously there will be great differences because of that. However, many of these differences are what make it so great! Very little traffic, in fact many people bike everywhere. Nothing is too far away, or a big problem to get to. Real estate is cheaper, parking is cheaper, etc The people, I find, are much nicer as well. Munich has that big city, I am too busy to talk to you vibe, often, and you will never find that in Landshut. Everyone is happy to small-talk, be it at the store, gym, wherever. As someone mentioned, speaking German definitely helps your case, as some of the older generation have problems with English, but I haven't had any problems (and when I came here I spoke about 5 words of the language!). Many people would hear my horrible German in the beginning and just started speaking to me in English, realizing it was so hard for me. I come from a large city so adjusting to the smaller city was different, however, I can honestly say that I love it here. The people are amazing, the city life is amazing, and the scenery is beautiful. Oh, and as for nightlife, it actually has improved! There is at least a range of places to go now ranging from an Irish pub, heavy metal pub, supper club, to a north american style "club". There aren't 30 places to choose from, but there are definitely enough to keep it interesting whenever you want to go out. If anyone has more questions about LA (as the locals affectionately call it!), feel free to message me!