Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Archaeological dig in Grünwald

24 posts in this topic

The report and associated time-lapse video were published a little while back and I thought locals might be interested in seeing them. The report is in German of course but has plenty of pictures :D whilst the video is self-explanatory.

I did not work on this site (I was in Friedburg by Augsburg and the site is still being dug and therefore not yet published although if anyone wants to see some pics I can certainly put them up - we had a very very nice high status Bronze Age burial - dagger, a big chunky bangle and big bronze chain around the neck - as well as a probable WW2 trench system/Flak battery on top) so I cannot really answer any specific questions. Still, I hope it interests you.

Taff

Report:

http://www.singularch.de/referenzen/gruenwald_bericht.pdf

Youtube video:

Thanks for posting that. Here I was all excited about our Graves of Harheim and they only date back to the 400-600 A.D.

Have you gone to the Isis Temple ruins in Mainz? I really enjoyed that, especially cause it is free.

Not been to Mainz yet Moondancer, although being a bit of a Romanist, it is on my list. As for your graves only being from about AD400-600, thats fine, all interesting stuff - they all have their stories to tell. When was the dig?

Do you want to play a game that involves skeletons? Yes? Cool.Look at the photo and tell me what is wrong with the one on the right. (The one on the left was also interesting although you cannot really see why in the pic)

This was taken just last month "somewhere near Munich" ;)

post-22802-12800394272786.jpg

They both look like they are busting a move to thriller.

The leg bones look too long in comparison to the arm bones? Also, the left leg bone looks funny at the knee cap? I am guessing someone was in this grave before and moved bones around, added some to look good. People aren't usally buried in anything but a straight position or a flexed position, so all those bent bones look weird (see Serenas post above)

Some good answers here. Thriller? LMAO - I like it. Spider Pig - I apologise for the lack of scale in the photo - the one on the left was about 1.70m high. Moondancer has hit the nail on the head though - on the right, the leg bones are very long compared to the arms and torso. The bones are all in situ - they have not been moved by either animals looking for tasty snacks nor by myself. This person lived to be about 20 years old. They had Polio. The other one was buried in a coffin (a sign of some status - you can see how we were able to dig out the shape of the coffin. They had typical female grave goods of the period.However,what raises a few questions is that if we had not hadthe grave goods,we would have said that this individual was male - the shape of the pelvis, skull (particularly the forehead) and the chin/lower jaw all pointed towards a male. A biological male anyway.

So we have two individuals who stood out as being different - one with a severe disability and one who was either a very masculine looking female or a fella who was buried - for whatever reasons - with female gear. Interesting, nah?

More details on this and other digs here:

http://www.dark-history.eu/latest%20news.htm

(Just scroll down)

Taff, it's very obvious to anyone knowledgeable in medicine that the foot bone connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone connected to the leg...

I am really sorry. That was awful.

Whereabouts in Grünwald? My inlaws live in Pullach near Linde.

@jeremy - if you look at the report (follow the link) you will see aa aerial photo and a map.It was near the golf course.

@moondancer - I will have a looksy and see what if I have any more pics to tantalise.

Right, off to dig up more stiffs.

Ok, quiz number 2:

We found this lass today. Have a look at the bones - have a LOOK. Notice anything which could tell us a little about this individual? Answers on the back of a full crate of Augustiner...

post-22802-12803369245341.jpg

Ok...

I presume that is the lower mandible...

Assuming it is Female ...

German Perhaps??

Is it My Ex? She had a fucking big gob on her like that too! :lol:

Meester Spider Pig, I assume that your ex was a talented girl then? Best say no more on that as this is a family show...

As this person was found "near Munich" they would probably consider themselves Bajuvarian rather than German. Female? Yes. Lower manidible...ohh you are very warm...what about it?

@Serenajean - no hooks here, only hooky-shaped bones :)

It sort of looks like some kind of blade thru the neck. Like a small ax? I wish I could see it closer, but that is my best guess. At first I was gonna say she had a hole in her forehead, like maybe she got beat to death.

hmm.

Half of her face is missing left eye and entire lower jaw. Was her jaw ripped off?

Moondancer - no blade through neck for this individual. If only we had found something as dramatic as that!

Serenajean - the jaw is the "U" or "C" shaped bone under the skull. The fact that that it is detached like that is further proof that this person had a coffin. When the jaw muscles rot, the jaw falls off. It can do this because there is a void in the coffin. When you just bury a body in the soil, the earth prevents the jaw from dropping off - although the bones are frequently disturbed by animals.(It depends on how deep they are)

Ok, gonna narrow this down a bit...any indications of how old this person was when they died?