Portable air conditioning units

29 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Metall said:

I run a fan on low at a good distance from the bed

Ha! I run an oscillating fan that is about 2 ft. away from me on high all night on the boat. It is actually on the bed. It blows the air from head to toe. Wunnerful!

I also enjoy the white noise even though it is pretty quiet.

It's a miracle that I never got neckmonia.

I've seen ads from Dyson; their purifiers also cool - or heat - the room, they claim.  Would love one myself, but alas, they are very pricey. 

29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It's a miracle that I never got neckmonia.

Only Germans can get that ;)

Aldi Süd prospect for next week   have a mobile  air conditioning  set from AEG  . The Ventilator costs €499 and  a flexible tube and adaptor for a window costs €69,99 including delivery. Worth having a look at.

You can double the efficiency of a portable AC unit by separating the hot circuit (on the bottom of the unit) from the cold circuit (on the top of the unit). The hot circuit should draw from the outside and exhaust to the outside. The cold circuit can then be left open to the indoor environment.

It's a big DIY project, but considering how expensive electricity is, it is worth it. A portable unit can use up to 3000 watts per hour and it will run the compressor constantly if you don't do the conversion. There are instructions on the internet on ways to do it.

2 hours ago, Elljay said:

I've seen ads from Dyson; their purifiers also cool - or heat - the room, they claim.  Would love one myself, but alas, they are very pricey. 

Not worth the money IMO. We got one last summer because a friend works there and we got a good discount. I’ve yet to be impressed 😒

Bonus with a ceiling fan over the bed - I put my laundry rack on the bed under the ceiling fan and dry clothes in 30 min. which is a fraction of the cost of running my dryer. Plus, it is out of the way.

Pro Klima portable AC from Bauhaus. Bought last year for 200 Euro. It was a floor model with a few scratches on it so amazingly they took a bit off the price. It was a little bit tricky to hook the vent hose up to our window with the attachments they came with it but thats what duct tape is for ;). Not sure how many sqm its rated for but worked great in our 22sm bedroom. Also has a noticeable effect on a much larger area with the proper arrangement of a couple fans. Was 34C outside but slept like a baby as soon as I kicked that bitch on.

Being a former resident of Florida I can tell you that this thing is pretty decent. Its not as powerful as one of the huge american style units that you put in the window. But even though I have only used it 3 or 4 times so far I actually consider it one of the best investments I have made since living here. My only regret is that I didnt buy it sooner. It is a must have if you have a roof top apartment that gets sweltering hot or any flat that has a bunch of windows and gets hit by the sun all day. 

Have a look at  Lidl offers next week,  on page 14 selling from Monday 8 june  an airconditioner  mobile for €179 instead of €249 both in stores and online.