Portable air conditioning units

29 posts in this topic

As our office is about 30 degrees now, the people complain about the heat so now we need to find a supplier for two mobile air condition appliances which they would give us for two weeks for free to test them. If they are good we buy them.

Of course this is urgent and again my boss wants an urgent solution...

Can anyone help me?

Have seen those Tower AC units at Toom an OBI- costs around 25Euro

Does Baywa have actual shops in Munich? Do they deliver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baywa has shops all over the place, never been to one though.

I would start by going to their web site, click on 'Haustechnik' and 'Kontakt' and send them an 'Anfrage' - or maybe just call them up.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good portable air conditioner? We bought one last night at Hornbach, just a small one for 25qm, cost 189 euros. We tried it in a room of 18qm and it was pathetic. Not only did it sound like a jet airplane taking off, we ran it for over two hours and it did nothing - the temp outside the room was the same as inside. We're going to take it back today, but I would really like to have one when it's hot at night. Last summer was a killer, and I reckon this one's going to be the same. If anyone can suggest a decent, not quite so loud, and more effective portable air conditioner that would be great!

If it costs less than 1000 eur, then its not really an air conditioner, its more of a swamp cooler..

If you want something thats actually going to make the room cold, then you gotta pony up the cash. The ones that will actually coll a room

are usually in 2 parts. Not one of those 1 piece jobs on wheels.

Yeh, back in Australia we'd have the split systems, but I can't make a big hole in the wall of my rented apartment. Surely there is something on the market that can cool 18sqm effectively..

Thanks for the link to the thread there Katrina.. after reading it, I'm thinking the problem with mine might have been the length of the hose coming out of it. I reckon it was about 3m long (we extended it), and it got fecking hot during operation. Maybe this was radiating enough heat to stop the process from working. Either way, I gotta take this air con back cause it is so unbelievably loud, and I have no other solution other than to use a long cable right now.

Can anyone recommend a good portable aircon unit which is quiet and suitable for an office? The choice is mindboggling.

Thanks! PQ

Whatever you get, make sure it is powerful enough. If you have to get one for 100sqm, make sure the aircon says it can do 200sqm. Further to that, make sure that you can place it close to the wall with the exhaust pipe as short as possible. We had one with a 2 meter exhaust pipe, and it heated up like a radiator, totally negating everything the air con unit was doing.

my colleague bought 2 one for office 1 for his apt...each for 200E on ebay ...think the company is heller or smthn like that....i would say it works fine...not for the super large rooms and apartments but for small office it's ok i think

We’re looking for cooling units for bedrooms...split units wouldn’t be suitable.  Not sure about the mobile units with hoses attached to windows. Can anyone recommend a mobile unit without hose ie with cool blocks? Would only be used for a couple of hours or so during the night so quiet function preferred.  Something between a standard fan and AC.  Many thanks in anticipation.

37 minutes ago, emkay said:

We’re looking for cooling units for bedrooms...split units wouldn’t be suitable.  Not sure about the mobile units with hoses attached to windows. Can anyone recommend a mobile unit without hose ie with cool blocks? Would only be used for a couple of hours or so during the night so quiet function preferred.  Something between a standard fan and AC.  Many thanks in anticipation.

The laws of thermodynamics do not allow to produce "coldness" itself. At most, one can transfer heat from one place to the other.

So, the only thing possible to "cool" your bedrooms is to transfer the heat to somewhere else. Either by a split unit (Transfer -> the outside unit gets hot, and the inside unit gets cold) or by a hose towards the outside (Transfer -> the cooling block and the heating block is within the bedroom, but the heat of the heating block is blown to the outside).

What you want (A standalone device that gets plugged into the wall socket and produces "coldness" without producing heat somewhere else) is physically impossible.

At least they now have systems for covering a tilted open window when one puts the AC hose through it. Twenty years ago, we had to stuff the hole with styrofoam and fix it with duct tape. It was ever so lovely. The hose itself radiates a lot of heat so you want to keep it as short as possible and wrap it in a blanket or something. 

We broke down and got a split unit some years ago.

I can highly recommend a ceiling fan over the bed - a big one with 5 blades - the others don't work. We have 3 in our flat.

(ETA - Ceiling fans use very little electricity so are cheap to run)

The bedrooms aren’t very big and kept cool during the day with the Rollladen closed. We can‘t have a split unit unfortunately.  Just wondered if anyone has experience of this type of unit...like a fan/humidifier where an ice pack is inserted with water. Some require ice cubes though that wouldn’t be practical. 

https://www.amazon.de/Klarstein-Highrise-Luftbefeuchter-Ventilationsmodi-Oszillationsfunktion/dp/B085LK8TNF/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=Klarstein+klimagerät+mobil+ohne+abluftschlauch&qid=1590844869&sr=8-10

The reviews don't look so great. It seems to me that, if these things work, everybody would have a couple.

How about a ceiling fan over your bed or are you afraid of getting neckmonia?  :D

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The reviews don't look so great. It seems to me that, if these things work, everybody would have a couple.

How about a ceiling fan over your bed or are you afraid of getting neckmonia?  :D

Thanks for that suggestion...husband looking at options as I type :D

The ice cube/humidifier units actually make things worse. After brief cooling, the rising humidity will make you miserable - there's a reason why good A/Cs also *dry* the air.

- I can't have A/C at home either, so in the worst nights I run a fan on low at a good distance from the bed.

- Get high thread count sheets, they tend to be cooler.

- I also have a mattress topper with cooling gel from IKEA, works beautifully! We had similar gel toppers in Florida.

I got mine slightly used from kleinanzeigen.ebay.de .

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/knapstad-matratzenauflage-weiss-20383347/