Swear words need refreshing

19 posts in this topic

I was thinking without engaging brain on the u-bahn this morning about swearwords. All the best swearwords appear to be a combination of harsh sounds a lot refer to sexual organs but not all. If harsh sounds are a condition of swearing why cant we adopt other harsh words as swearwords like "Volvo" and "Tax Officer". some common swearwords have lost their impact we need some new ones

My father used to tell of his brother getting angry with another brother and going up to his room and punching a pillow saying: "This is so and so".

It was suggested that I partake in similar activities when I got angry. To no avail.

There are alternative words that exist already. I just cannot see myself being angry and shouting

• Oh Balderdash
  • Poppycock (now that even has a nice ring to it)
  • Fiddlesticks
  • Blimey
  • golly gosh.

I could try but when it comes down to the crunch ... I go back to my Pick n' Mix:

J***s F***ing A****L**hC****t

Kreizkruzinesen

Schlawiner

Uhu, greisliche

Waagscheitl, bsuffats

Can't really agree, they're all fairly soft and smooth and non-genital. Ok, I grant you Zipfiklatscher, containing genitalia and onomatopoeia.

Hmm, I like poppycock. Flowers AND male genitalia; might have to start using that one. Thanks, Orla!

when im close to saying Shit or Scheisse and suddenly realise that kids are around, I extend the SH into Schande... still comes off the lips but is parent friendly and carries a similar meaning to what I initially meant.

Around friends kids, im trying to say FAAAAAr out ... when annoyed, but im still working on my success rate there

J***s F***ing A****L**hC****t

I brought this up some years ago - and I know this isn't really on-topic, but I've never understood the use of stars to substitute letters in swear words. We all know what you're trying to say and in fact, swear words are highlighted more and more easily visible if you write f**k or c**t in the middle of a sentence. If you write it out as fuck or cunt, then you're not likely to see it unless you read the actual text. Easily testible in this particular paragraph, where the star substitute word jumps out at you when you glance at the page and the fully written out version does not...

Maybe someone can explain why people do this...

when im close to saying Shit or Scheisse and suddenly realise that kids are around, I extend the SH into Schande...

Sugar was the word over-used at our house for exactly this purpose when I was a kid. A small child would be forgiven for thinking it was spelled Shhhhh-ugar.

...why cant we adopt other harsh words as swearwords like "Volvo" and "Tax Officer". some common swearwords have lost their impact we need some new ones

- I always thought that "Tax Officer" was swearing! :rolleyes:

Another thread on swearing , and likely to hit the cutting floor like others before it.

The whole point of swear words is they get a reaction. I find it fascinating that they do. Even more interesting is the cultural difference a word can have. Take the 'C' word. My favorite. A term of endearment when used in some context , probably the worst swearword when used in others. Indeed just a change in the way you say it takes it from one to the other. But some cultures seem to only have it as a swearword so you can get an interesting reaction when using it. I got told of for describing a train driver who went through town blasting his horn at 4AM a 'Fucking Cunt' , can there be any better time to use it? Somehow using proxy swearwords wouldn't have got the emotion across.

@ SB but those are all German words ...

When in Rome ... actually, they are Bavarian, a wonderful language for swearing. Most of their swear words have a religious background, e.g. Zacklzement = Sakrament; Zäfix = Kruzifix.

And don't forget: Swearing relieves pain

When the kids were little, I came up with an alternative swear word that had appropriate hard sounds - Turtle Turds

The kids liked it and it was ok to say around grandmas and polite company.

Swearing relieves pain

I know. I've been suffering from horrible back pain since the last time I went for a bike ride. Ive also increased my daily swearing quota accordingly. Thats why I started this thread. I'm getting bored of the same 30 or so swearwords :)

From what I can remember from seeing Vagina Monologues, in the "old days" to call someone a cunt was a compliment. This was the usual name for the vagina and to say someone was a cunt was to acknowledge they were as magnificent as the female organ that has so much to do with reproduction of the human race. Well, sometimes I can question the reproduction of some of the human race BUT if I ever do use that word, and I do ... I have a feeling of betrayal towards my fellow women kind?

Milbertshofen ... So right, not only does swearing relieve pain but it promotes a longer life!

I've heard that Arabic is the best language for insults, and that is a pretty harsh sounding one to my ears. Anyone else know a language with good swear words? Hijo de Puta always sticks in my mind from South America and Fiz de Put from some French chefs. Much better sounding than son of a bitch/whore.

I swear much less now with little kids around, but that just makes them even more valuable and cathartic when used. Someone once caled me the most foul mouthed person he'd ever met, but I think he just didn't get out much ;)

Take the 'C' word. My favorite. A term of endearment when used in some context , probably the worst swearword when used in others. Indeed just a change in the way you say it takes it from one to the other. But some cultures seem to only have it as a swearword so you can get an interesting reaction when using it. I got told of for describing a train driver who went through town blasting his horn at 4AM a 'Fucking Cunt' , can there be any better time to use it? Somehow using proxy swearwords wouldn't have got the emotion across.

Annoys me too as it is a great word and in Ami E people get all whiney as its considered about the rudest word in the language.

The referee's a Weinkeller... !!!
I mentioned the word Weinkeller this morning and my German colleague asked if I had just said 'Wanker' :rolleyes:

And that was my first post in about 6 or 7 years :ph34r:

Shell (the oil company) have (had? ) a training centre in Hittfeld near Hamburg and I used to co-run seminars there for their employees in the 1990s.

Almost free wine and plenty of it...the bedrooms were simple, private but almost hostel-like..and on the pillow cases was the word " Wank " (I think the name of the cleaning service but maybe I´m wrong ):)

The wine was SO cheap  and good and plentiful..I don´t think anyone on those courses would have been able to..well, you know, after crashing into bed!!!:P