American married to German, legal to work in DE?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've seen some similar threads but haven't found anything that covers my specific question:

My wife is German, I am a US citizen. If I find a job in Germany (fairly high-level), can we simply move there and I start working? I am looking in Frieburg, have made many contacts in the Environmental sector and will be there in August to meet with them. I was under the assumption (actually this is what my wife believes) that because she is a German citizen I can simply work there, but now I think that may not be true. If the answer is no, how complicated is it to make it happen? Can I do it from here (NYC area) or only once we are there in Germany?

Thank you very much in advance for any help/advice you can give.

You are right in thinking it is a bit more complicated than just showing up to work. It isn't too hard though if you are being offered a job and your wife is German. Probably just have to fill out some papers or some such.

Typically they will give you a residence and work permit for 1 year, then for 3 years and then permanent. I suggest when you send your CV, next to mentioning your nationality, also mention that you are married to a German citizen. This gives HR a little relief that your residency will be a lot smoother than someone who does not have a right to live here as you do. If they do not know this when you apply then you might not get shortlisted because they will see it as a burden. Good luck on the job search.

Yes you would get residency with spouse and included with that is your right to work. But it is a process. Mine took 3 months, and you will need things like proof of insurance here. The length of time and papers required vary greatly per city, per office, even per beamter.

I believe you would have to move here, do that process and then find work.

Best bet is to have your wife call the auslanderbehorde and ask for information in your specific situation.

I can only speak to the experience of having done it within Germany.

I was in the same situation 6 months ago. My German wife and I moved to Heidelberg for work. I had verbal confirmation of a job and I showed up without any preparation. When you show up, fill out the company forms, "register" at the local cityhall, take them to the Ausländer office. It only took us about an 30 minutes on two different days.

Thanks so much for the helpful answers. After I first posted this, I grew a brain and called the German Consulate. They told me I would just need to fill out a few papers and that it would probably take a few weeks and I'd be done. 30 minutes sounds even better, 3 months not so good. This would be in Freiburg in case anyone knows someone who is hiring there in the environmental sector!

Thanks again.