Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Weiterstadt

24 posts in this topic

Hi, there are some English speaking people living in the quiet and silent town of Weiterstadt?

Also other half Italians like me are well admitted!

:) :)

Well, if you count the some 800 Brits that work for the European Space Agency or the couple of hundred one at Telekom and the couple of hundred American DoD types. Yes in the Darmstadt area there are.

I don't know about TT meetings but, a good meeting place that I enjoy is the Crossroads Bar and Grill(Kopernikusplatz 1, 64289 Darmstadt) the food is good, owner is Brit and the clientel is almost only English speaking. They're at the edge of Darmstadt nearest Weiterstadt.

Iam also living in Weiterstadt (Gräfenhausen) and it's really hard to find English speaking people, does anybody know of any groups for english speaking children in this area?

I think in Darmstadt or Mainz the situation is better, especially about children groups.

And about Adults' speaking groups? you know something? :D:D

Iam also living in Weiterstadt (Gräfenhausen) and it's really hard to find English speaking people, does anybody know of any groups for english speaking children in this area?

Carolyn, how old are your children?

Here is some info on the English-speaking playgroup. My oldest 2 used to go there when they were little, they are 17 and 16 now!

Hil

-----------------------

The International Kids' English Club e. V. celebrates its 35th anniversary

The non-profit organization The International Kids' English Club e.V., previously known as Internationale Kindergruppe e.V. celebrates its 35th anniversary.

Since 1975 the Darmstadt based club has offered English-speaking children the facility to maintain their English mother-tongue from birth onwards and offers various groups where children can keep up their language skills, by doing arts and crafts, singing, reading and doing reading and writing exercises. Furthermore, the organisation holds family events, such as a trip to the Vivarium, a summer picnic, a barbecue and a read-a-thon. The groups and events also offer a nice atmosphere for families who have newly arrived from English-speaking countries. The club is unique in the Darmstadt area and currently has approximately 60 member families originating from countries such as the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, England and India. New members are welcome to the club, which recently relocated to premises in Hügelstraße 75 and Frankensteinschule in Darmstadt.

The anniversary celebration will take place during the annual summer barbecue at the Oberförsterwiese in Darmstadt on September 5, 2010 starting at 3 pm. English-speaking families can bring their own food and drink and have the opportunity to get to know the organisation better. Desserts will be shared and various children's games will be offered.

Interested families should feel free to contact membership@ikevonline.de or check the website www.ikevonline.de for more information.

Also if you are interested in English-speaking babysitters, my oldest daughters (aged 17 and 16)would be happy to oblige.

AND... if anyone has English-Speaking kids around ages 12 and 8 who are looking for playmates, also drop me a line, my youngest daughter and son would be pleased to have some friends too. :-)

Hil

Thanks for the info, We are already members of ikev and my 5 year old starts the English class in a few weeks. We already have a regular babysitter but thanks for the offer.

Are there people still checking this discussion? We're moving to Weiterstadt end of February with a 1.5 year old so we're also looking for play dates. Are there children's parks in the area? I saw forested area but I'm talking about slide and swing set type places. Thanks.

My family just moved to Weiterstadt and we have 2 girls( 9 and 3) and a newborn son. We're looking for other couples with english speaking children for play dates. Any takers?

We are moving to the area in late April 2013 from the US and have a 2yr old, we would be very interested in meeting other parents when we get there. Can anyone tell me about Weiterstadt?? We do not have an exact town picked out to live in yet since we will most likely try to find temp. housing for a month and than take the time to explore while we are there to settle on a town, but Weisterstadt was recommended to us by one of my husband's coworkers. If there is anyone on here that could share there opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

See you in the spring!

A lot of where you should live depends on where you or your husband will be working. I would want good train connections. Frankfurt has a huge community of Americans, but if one of you needs to be in Darmstadt, Weiterstadt is better.

I live in Weiterstadt :) I really like it. Especially now we have Loop5, there is also an excellent chinese resturant near loop5 as well.