Is Kunsthaus Tacheles closing down?

45 posts in this topic

We organised a legal, 2 day benefit party there last Summer. It was very busy and the cops turned up and told us to turn it down because it was too noisy (really?). We complied and had the music on disgustingly quiet for the rest of the evening. The next day, they turned up right at the start and threatened to seize equipment. They are making it a struggle.

I love Tacheles and the insane, twisted, creative culture in Berlin! It is in itself an artform; sprayed and splattered it stands as a raspy and defiant beacon of underground culture in a tepid sea of trendy hotels, delis and tourist attractions. If we lose it we may never see something like it again.. sure it has some serious characters haunting its halls but that is the charm of Berlin, no? I will be sad to see it go.

Fully agree: Tacheles is a dinasaur and isn't what it used to be, but is still a stiff middle finger in the eye of mediocrity and gentrification - just like the Rote Flore in the Hamburg Schanzenviertel. When it goes, a good part of the very soul of Berlin Mitte will die and be lost forever.

Actually, Tacheles is a tourist attraction in itself. I don't know if people have tried to 'market' it as such already (I expect it has been tried considering how long this has been going on)

If the local government could be convinced that it does actually bring tourism to the area surely it would give you a stronger footing.

I wonder what they plan on putting there in place of Tacheles. I hope it's another Apoteka or Imbiss because we don't have enough of those in Berlin.

It looks to be all over.

http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin-aktuell/article1934488/Rangeleien-nach-Gerichtsvollzieher-Besuch.html

A shame certainly, avoid the Saturday nights in summer when it was full of tourists and there was lots of fun to be had there.

I know the history (however brief) is important to the place, however there are so many buildings that could easily be turned into a 'professional' artist's enclave in the city. Maybe not such an attractive location, however around Saarbrucker Strasse there are a few old industrial buildings with an internal courtyard that could easily be turned into something special.

Most cities have this type of place where fringe artists, exotic food vendors exist. It becomes a tourist attraction in and of itself, boosting the surrounding area economically, and then you get the residents defending it.

Seems to me that it is the artists, their friends and drug dealers defending this place, more so that the local residents. And if an artist can't pay the rent, then maybe it is like a dancer who can't pay the rent, or like me, an inventor who can't pay the rent... I have a 'real job' so that I can indulge me passion. IMHO of course....