Complaints from a neighbour about cooking smell

179 posts in this topic

yeah jmls got the fancy schmancy dunstabzugshaube. Our DAH vents to our own ceiling so it's not much use. Doesn't even keeps the onion fumes out of our eyes very well. We've not had any complaints yet, but the wind flow in our building takes all the smells out to the street side where there're a couple restaurants anyway.

she actually said "i dont mind a foreigner living in the building as.blah blah blah.."?

ffs... thats outrageous!

you'd be surprised how used you get the smell of your own culture's cooking though. Really. I cook Indian a couple days in a row and the house smells weird. Cook Japanese a couple days and the house smells weird again. Cook fish and we try to leave town 'cause we can't stand it ourselves.

yup Schottes...stopped to chat with me when I was waiting outside. That was the polite version...she let me know the landlady had advised the building a foreigner would be moving in and how some people were quite upset but so far I seemed ok enough to her. She commented on my clothes, my nice smile...i felt like a horse at the auction block. gave me advice on how to fit in with the neighbors, smile, be quiet and stay out of trouble. Helpful really since I was planning to have raves and curry orgys or whatnot.

Usually Indian cooking creates the strongest odors, I have heard of people in the UK being evicted for stinking up flats with pungent curry odors. If cooking lentils can disturb a neighbor, she must have very sensitive olfactory nerves.

It has been my experience that Germans (esp. older) use a chance to complain about anything primarily to have contact with others. Many are lonely and not very good at having positive contact, so they find another way. I always try to remember this when I am yelled at here (in Ludwigsburg) for parking poorly or the kind. :rolleyes:

I would just ignore her... I would imagine the Police couldn't do a lot...

Although, if you have a BBQ and the smoke irritates your neighbours the police may say something... A friend of mine had a small BBQ outside her flat in Starnberg and a neighbour upstairs called the police... When they came, she was able to get away with it since she was a trainer of the police diving team there... LOL

Hi all,

Thank you for all the comments.

Am not sure if the filter thing helps alot as a next door neighbour has and i could always smell her cooking somehow.The landlord said i should ignore the lady as i informed him just to hear if he is willing to fit in the filter thing.

Since i only cook like 4 times a week (cant give up the spices), never done any barbecues on the balcony or had any party,she has no reason to complain as i also intend not to open the door again for her unless we meet on the stairs. <_<

Will report back if she comes again to contact me.Since am away for two wks she can have her peace till i get back...

:lol:

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello All,

I am a International student and live on a ground floor flat while my German flat owner lives on the 1st floor. I was invited out of the blue for a short chat with them concerning unnecessary tips concerning maintenance of the flat etc ..all this 4 months after I moved in.. While I found that strange but tolerable the owner asked me also to stop cooking Indian food since the smell reaches their flat and disturbs them immensely! She also urged that I cook only European food nowon. I dont know what to do in such cases. I leave the windows of my flat open and he exhaust on since I was told during the Schlusselaufgabe that the house should be ventilated properly.

DOes anyone know what rights the flatowners have in such cases?

I am also thinking of talking with the International students service at the Uni and registering a complaint. Am I overreacting?

Please help!

You are over-reacting. Ignore this unreasonable suggestion, or wait for the next time your landlord cooks sauerkraut, and complain about the smell to them.

I suggest finding some kippers (smoked herring from UK), they are therefore european and extremely smelly when cooking

I dont know what to do in such cases.

You don't do any thing other what you've been doing and that's living your life in your flat cooking the food you want to eat.

oh ignore them...they are so small minded. cook what you want and enjoy it.

i'm a landlord and can tell you with out a doubt that she can't say or do anything against the smell of your cooking.

make sure the you leave the windows open and let the air circulate so no moisture collects.

keep the place clean, pay your rent on time and ignore the unhappy people

Your landlord cannot force you to change your cooking style but, at the same time, they do have the right to give you notice at any time. I would recommend that you start looking for something else (not in such close proximity to your landlord) now before you have a dealine.

I'm pretty sure he has no legal right to stop you from cooking your own food. There was a thread on TT about someone complaining about a neighbour smoking some time ago, which I guess is similar in that it's a smell from one neighbour disturbing another.

I found this article, when something similar must have gone to court, which is a few years old now, but probably still relevant:

The judge said: "Dass Nachbarn zu den unterschiedlichsten Zeiten und jeweils nach ihrem Geschmack kochen, ist grundsätzlich zu dulden, auch wenn dies nicht unbedingt den Vorstellungen der anderen entspricht."

Basically means that people have to tolerate the fact that their neighbours will cook at different times and to their own taste, even if it doesn't suit their own tastes.

So ignore it and cook whatever you like. They can't legally do anything about it

Your landlord cannot force you to change your cooking style but, at the same time, they do have the right to give you notice at any time. I would recommend that you start looking for something else (not in such close proximity to your landlord) now before you have a dealine.

No - this is completely wrong. Landlords in Germany can't just "give you notice at any time".

You must be breaking the terms of the lease for them to do that - and even then, it's very difficult.

@Hazza: That is balls. Every rental agreement I have seen has had a notice period written into it. No landlord would ever rent a property out if they were unable to ever terminate the rental. Sure, they have to go through the process of giving due notice unless you break the terms of the lease - but they can do that.

As someone above said, ventilate well, and maybe hint to your landlord that an extractor fan might mitigate the smell (if you haven't already got one, in which case maybe ask for new filters).

Old E, you made it sound a bit like the landlord could give immediate (i.e. two weeks termination) notice. Technically, your landlord can terminate at any time but he has to stick to the regulations of your lease.

Prepare for the demand to repaint the whole apartment when you move as the cooking smell will have oozed into the paint and wallpaper.