Complaints from a neighbour about cooking smell

179 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Got a visit last Friday from a neighbour who is pensioner (woman) when i had just started cooking my lentils...That the smell was bothering her and that i should be closing all the doors and windows when cooking. :angry:

She leaves 2 floors ahead and i live on the ground floor.She further said this cooking smell started since i moved in (2 yrs ago) and that the whole treppe is now like a restaurant.With my limited German i mentioned that somebody also just cooked when i was at the balcony so it could not only be from me and she said that she hasnt noticed mayb its frm another block.So far she is the only one who complained in this whole block of like 10 families.

I am a vegetarian so mostly what i cook is my veggies and fish.I do not cook daily bt mostly weekends.Mmmmm and the smell is mosly with spices, garlic moslty close to indian disches.

My question is, is there a law for this and has anyone experienced this.If yes, how did they sort this out.I am a peaceful person and i dont want to be taken advantage of just cause i am the only auslander in this street so far... :angry:

ignore it. you have to cook and eat. in all my time here i've not heard of any such claim being taken to court.

Just ignore her. I admit that a strong smell of curry in the hall on a constant basis might annoy me a bit as well, but I would live with it. If you do want to play nice, try either opening a window in the stairwell or closing a couple of doors in your flat. But really, don't worry about it.

Yep- Just ignore her and carry on. She cannot do anything about it at all and if no-one else is complaining then it sounds like it is just her wanting a moan.

I do not know what you can do to stop the smell in the stairs though.

Just ignore it

I agree, nest thing is to ignore. My mother-in-law (German) cannot stand the smell of any cooking in her house... always has to have all the windows open to 'get rid of the smell'... even when it is fresh baked bread!! Crazy lady...

Next time she cooks cabbage, tell her it stinks.

Many Germans do not like the smell of "foreigners" cooking or otherwise. If it is during normal eating hours, then don't worry about it.

I was thinking about this when I made a curry the other week. I was almost hoping someone (particuarly the nasty witch Blockwärtin on the ground floor) would complain so I could tell them to f*** off! :lol: Cos the VERY penetrating smell of her sauerkraut of course doesn't bother anyone but a curry does. <_<

Eurovol was a bit quicker than me! :)

Next time invite her over for supper. :) Maybe that softens her. Otherwise, ignore it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats incouraging.Maybe a curry night at my place is the key.Then when she knocks we all open the door for her.I can just imagine her look. :lol:

Well, i think i should igone her though her visit had bothered me.I never imagined in a million years that someone could complain about food smells.

Too bad since she is two floors ahead i can compalin when she make her Sauer Krauts.Maybe she doesnt even cook and leaves on bread who knows.

Thanks all for the positive views. :D

we had a similar experience at a camp ground at Lago de Garda a few weeks ago. we loaded up the tent, sleeping bags, and charcoal grill for a weekend of camping. for most meals throughout the weekend we cooked on the grill (breakfast, lunch and dinner). after two days, an old woman stopped by (before she spoke, i thought how nice, she's going to say hello and try to make friends...WRONG). without ever making introductions or even saying hello, she launches into 'are you people going to disturb us with your stink the entire weekend' and tell us how the charcoal and our food stink! i must say, it's a good thing that i didn't fully understand her insults or she would have gotten some real redneck rage. LOL. the fiance ever so calmly explained to her that 'yes, we will continue to bother you with our stink because grills are allowed and for christ's sake you are in a camp ground! if you don't like it, find a hotel.'

not exactly the same, but kind of strange and funny nonetheless.

I am a vegetarian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In that case I'd be more worried about your farts!

Seriously though, maybe she's just lonely and complaining is her only contact with other humans.

Wasn't aware lentils smell. I've a good recipe for Dal soup (spicy indian dish) if you're interested.

the law actually specifically allows cooking smells. Neighbours have no right to complain about the smells of normal domestic cooking. Only if you happened to open a restaurant or similar could she legally do something against it.

Just keep cooking and also make sure the more she complains the smellier you cook!

If you create the smell in your building, You could add/replace the filter in the ventilation on top of the stoves. It would collect fat and odour. There are special filter that collect the smells I think.

A simple solution with benefits for everybody.

I would ... as most people have suggested ... ignore it ...

Or maybe you could reach out to her and buy her a gift in an attempt at friendship ... I suggest one of these should do the trick for her ... :D

post-3569-1119270519.jpg

BlueSte, not sure the gift ideea is really that good an idea (if you meant a serious gift). She may feel justified in her complaints then. She actually has no right to complain and should be told so, not placified with bribes.

The nose clip is a superb idea, though.

I'd ignore her too and add to the ignore list.

Jehovahs

GEZ

Annoying lady.

I never imagined in a million years that someone could complain about food smells.

Oh you'd be surprised what people will complain about. Food smells is probably only the tip of her iceberg.

Sup peeps. I got the old lady seal of approval in my building on this exact issue - in short i was advised that she didnt mind a foreigner living in the building since I was obviously good quality and didnt smell up the building. <_<