Air conditioning and wifi in Berlin?

14 posts in this topic

Hey, I just got to Berlin and was wondering if anyone could tell me where one could find an air conditioned place to hang out, preferably one with wifi. I know it's asking a lot to find both in one spot, but maybe someone out there has discovered some such magical place. Would prefer to find a place in the Neukolln/ Kreuzberg area, but oh man, will definitely travel anywhere for air conditioning and wifi in one. So, if anyone has any good ideas, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Cue the crickets. I made a similar posting asking if there was AC in a theater here...no replies. Air conditioning seem to be two words not in a European's vocabulary. It's 2010 right?

Try American hotel and restaurant chains: e.g., Starbucks. Starbucks has air conditioning and 2 hrs. free Wifi at some locations. Husband found a cinema in Berlin with A/C, will post about it later.

I went to the movies today, and there was no a.c. They did have cold beer. To get a.c., hunt down American chains that are a bit on the pricey side and see how long you can sip a drink in the bar. They usually have wi-fi also. I have also found every other Irish bar has a.c. Whether they actually turn it on, or set it to a degree that would actually make a difference, is a different matter.

It's not that AC hasn't been invented yet. The Germans I've talked to seem to genuinely believe that AC causes health problems -- and at the arctic temperatures we used to run it in the American south, they're probably right. The prewar building I work in has a nice water-based cooling system that takes the edge off, but you don't need a sweater.

St. Oberholz (U8 Rosenthaler Platz) has free wifi, though, and it's popular with the anglophones.

I don't know about wi-fi, but I spent an entire day at Alexa (the shopping center) for the air-conditioning this summer. I'm offering it as a suggestion, but I wouldn't entirely recommend it.

It's not that AC hasn't been invented yet. The Germans I've talked to seem to genuinely believe that AC causes health problems.

Agreed. But not only AC, they believe "moving air" hot or cold makes people sick and have a profound fear of it. I've read articles about the urban myth floating around Germany how forced or moving air (again hot or cold) like an AC, fan, open window, convertible car, ect. causes colds and flu (even during the summer). This is complete nonsense. Moving air does not cause a cold or flu, viruses do.

The Starbucks on Rosenthaler has good A/C (esp. upstairs) and free WiFi for as long as you want it. In order to use the restrooms, though, you have to make a purchase (the PIN for the restroom keypad is included at the bottom of your receipt).

As for movie theaters, the Sony Center (Potsdamerstr. 4) has A/C and shows original version (OV) movies without subtitles.

One more thing, the Spagos restaurant/lounge in the Park Inn (Mitte) has lovely A/C. Like Orlagh said, try to sip your drink or eat your food very slowly :D