A week-long manhunt in England ends

68 posts in this topic

Has anyone been following this manhunt? Raoul Moat had just come out of prison.

He had spoken of his plans while serving two months and two days of an 18 week sentence

Moat only had the one conviction for which he was in prison although he had been arrested on 12 separate occasions

He had warned that he would kill someone on his release. Two days later he had killed his ex girlfriend's boyfriend and shot at his girlfriend and a police officer.

She lied and said that her now boyfriend was a police officer - hoping to keep him away. It obviously had not worked.

As an excuse for his actions, Moat says that his girlfriend was partly to blame for it all.

Moat said he was sorry for shooting Samantha Stobbart but claimed she was partly to blame for his actions after having an affair.

I am reminded of the thread about stoning a woman for allegedly committing adultery.

A woman's testimony in Iran is worth half that of a man's

If Moat had been in Iran his statement would have been doubly correct?

Why is it difficult for people to take responsibility for their own actions?

Amazing the support and misogynistic comments this piece of scum has got/is getting on facebook.

I've been listening to the interview Gazza gave to the radio station after he turned up with some chicken and a fishing rod to talk Moat down.

There's a bit where he says, I guarantee he wouldn't shoot me ... with my luck he'd probably miss.

That's a bit worrying, was he planning suicide by psychopath?

I've been following this story and yes, he was a scum bag and it's probably a good thing that he shot himself, but I found myself very saddened by his Mother's comment during the week.

She was contacted by some of the media, she hadn't seen her son for X number of years, but knew of he trouble he has been in and her only comment was "He'd be better off dead".

When your Mother thinks that, what chance do you have?

I tuned into BBC TV News yesterday knowing hardly anything about this news item. I was bemused by the whole saga of "live TV-at-the-scene" coverage that went on and on.

After a good 10 minutes of it I switched off and left them to it.

It's just a summer media circus for media careerists, welcome fodder for them to feed their docile viewers with. If you're mug enough to let them.

I'm not!

(Bully for them that the guy killed himself - the whole circus has come to a sudden unscheduled end. Have to go and find another story instead).

That interview is painful.

He's killed someone, and that's not nice.

(I shouldn't laugh but .... )

He's a nice guy, a gentleman but it is not nice when your ex girlfriend's run off with another guy.

This "gentleman" was in prison for assaulting a family member. I guess Gazza can empathise.

Tap. I know where you are at ... but we have no idea what his mother/family have been put through by this guy. He does not seem to me to be a nice guy.

No sympathy my end.

I think it's very sad and tragic, especially as innocent people were killed in the process. That guy may have been a scumbag, but the fact that he is now dead only adds to the tragedy.

The media circus is perhaps the worst part of it all. I think it's just sensationalism and in poor taste. It also exploits the grief of the people involved. Yes its is dramatic and yes it sells, but in reality there are much more important things happening that deserve greater press attention.

Orla, I'm with you on all this, it really was awful, but I can't help thinking that if your Mother or family think you would be better off dead, they could at least keep that to themselves and not broadcast it on national TV.

I actually hated the media coverage, they seemed to be more up to date than the police and it was constant, there seemed to be nothing else going on in the world these last days, except this guy, and that annoyed me.

Anyway, it's over now, until the next sensation.

Yeah, the guy was probably watching it all on tv himself as the police - and media - net closed in!

The media - at least the "old media", thrive on these "events". It's their bread and butter.

If they can't find them, then they have to create them themselves - hence all the reality tv, "crime-watch" (=instant crimis) and car-crash tv cr*p they put out.

Can't understand the sympathy for this guy or the criticism of the police. He could have caused a bloodbath. Have people forgotten Cumbria? They're even now trying to blame the police for tasering him and thus causing his death, although he was the one who chose where to point the gun. :rolleyes:

"They" is only the brother, who is now claiming that he could have solved the entire problem even though he hadn't seen Moat in several years. There were however a series of cock-ups along the way on the part of the police. Apart from failing to act on the initial warning that he was likely to perpetrate violence, they also failed to watch the house of the friend who passed on Moat's letter, and so were not able to arrest him when he later visited his friend for a second time.

On top of that, it took them several days to find Moat even though they had a relatively small search area, and it also took a journalist to discover the t-shirt – a bright orange t-shirt – that Moat had discarded earlier in the week.

guy wanted to die and in a blaze of glory...probably he became disappointed/disillusioned in his chosen profession as a doorman and his dwindling standing amongst the locals as he got older/slower etc...final straw when the girlfriend had an affair...I could be guessing here but he possibly wasn't all that intelligent either!

You reckon? In fact she hadn't had an affair (as far as we know). She told Moat that she was dating a policeman because she was afraid of him. A lie that had terrible consequences.

agreed STB...but the "implication" to him was she had an affair...

And yes...I do think he could've been a few sandwiches short of a picnic...

Bit of a public execution regardless of who pulled the trigger..gave the boys in blue something to do (hundreds of em) bet you wouldnt get any attention if you called them to remove vandals or noisy neighbours..but from the amount of coverage I saw must have cost millions to find this guy...not saying he didint deserve the ending he obvioulsy wanted but I had big worries when the police warned he was danger to public after his letter stated categorically that his target was police...that was the day his execution paper was signed...

better off dead than alive?? You couldn't even take this guy home to mums for a telling off...

Lots of people would be jumping up and down if millions weren't spent on trying to apprehend this guy...he had shot 3 people thats a bit different to noisy neighbours or vandalism.

Tragic really - another clearly mentally unstable prisoner is released into the wide world and immediately goes off the rails resulting in his death, the death of a totally innocent man, and serious injuries to two others. The system failed him badly. Sure, it was a criminal act, and one that can't be defended, but it's a gross oversight to characterise him as a cold-blooded killer - quite clearly he'd suffered some sort of breakdown.