Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Solar Panels or Solar Energy

10 posts in this topic

Over the past couple of days I have been trying to decide to use or not use solar panels...

Does anyone on here have any knowledge in this area... We live in an apartment on the first floor... I looked into using the portable ones, but i cant find any information if it would be worth to use it for the money their asking... Then i also really dont know how they work...

Any advice is appreciated, thanks... :)

I think solar pannels for producing Electicity are very ineficient and therfore not very cost effective.

but the solar pannels for producing hot water are very eficient!

However... who needs lashings of hot water on a scorching hot day.?

Granted in winter on a clear sunny day, there is still lots of hot water produced.. but not so much when its cold and damp...

I too wish there was an easy answer..

thanks for the reply... Maybe next year when we move into a house that would be possible... For now i quess we will be stuck with a nice electric bill... :(

I have a "diy" solar set-up..

It produces 15v most days, but only "mili-amps" its not very efficient.

I think you can save more money by cutting back on your useage

SP

The Landratsamt in Starnberg holds a solar energy information day at least once a year - maybe your Landratsamt does too - you could at least give them a call and ask!

Having never been to one of these information sessions, I really don`t know a lot about it, but what I do know is that our neighbour produces too much power in summer and sells it back to the electricity company(!)

Adding to this...

Well, solar kit has become much more affordable!

I have just built a semi portable power station for a buddy of mine who has his wn gardening/house maintenance company...

He needed a 200m extention cable for a particular job... ( dont ask me what it was)

He than asked me if there was a way of making a portable power stattion that doesnt run on fossil fuels!

So... 40W soöar pannel, 100ah Solar Battery, Regulator and invertor!

This afternoon was spent drilling holes in a plastic box and fixing all the kit in there!!

2 x Volt meters... One incomming voltage and one for outgoing...

Cigarette lighter socket.. 12V socket to plug an inverter/Coolbox into

2USB sockets 1amp and a 2.1amp for charging handys etc and 

Just waiting on a 12v to 19v DC convertor so he can run a 32" Flat screen TV !!! 

Will post a piccie or two when completed and in situ!

SP, a portable power station is what I have...  A 1990 VW T3 with a solar panel on the roof.  Enough juice to run items at or below 700W.  Aye, a 100cm flat screen is inside, coolbox, radio and lights.  I did install a power-strip for convenience.  The TV is installed within a cabinet, attached to a BMW window unit (fensterheber) to raise it up and down.  Having the additional power is quite nice.  I have three car batteries to store energy.  It will hold for about 48 continual use hours when it is cloudy.

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

So, day 5 of solid sun!!   

15 KW produced... by my home system ( Just 4 pannels)

Great, one more reason to move to electric cars!