Toytown website improvements/suggestions

793 posts in this topic

And lastly, dear reader as you fall asleep reading this, always remember that there's the hidden "Staff Room" forum where any Mod not quite sure how severe/lenient to deal with a transgression gets advice and input from the rest of the team. Nobody is a wild cannon.

And please, please, always remember that a Mod is doing the job for free; to protect you from the hooded claw and keep the vampires from your door.

So then why is there post on my removed post page, but when I went to the topic the post was still viewable within the topic? ;)

They could not make up their minds then?

How about an automated 'welcome to TT and here's the search function' type reply, the first time that new members post?

If you're unhappy with a Mod then that's what the report buttons are for.

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. For one thing, the TT report button serves a different purpose:

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectional content, etc and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons.

Second, since there's no transparency it is impossible to know which of the mods has, for example, removed a post or locked a topic. Contacting the moderating team means picking a mod from the list more or less at random (since you don't necessarily know which one(s) is/are online at a particular time), which makes the whole exercise even more random, not to say pointless.

I think some of the earlier posters might also be alluding to recent instances of some mods making disparaging remarks about other members, made worse by the fact that the posts in question were allowed to stand (or at least stand for some considerable time) whereas other members' posts are summarily (as in: barely seconds after being posted) removed for such grave offences as making a "lame joke" or commiserating with someone on a no-chat thread.

Nobody said any different, did they? I certainly didn't. The point I was making in my reply to fgth is that the report button (as the quote would seem to indicate) is to be used only to report objectionable content in a specific - linked - post, not to dispute an unrelated action by an unknown moderator. The fact you are bringing up - all mods having access to all reported posts - is quite beside the point.

@ SB - I think the point Kay was trying to make is that you cannot tell when a Mod is hovering online - quite often their status reads "offline".

Thus, when you want to contact a Mod, firstly you surf around to see who might really be online and then when you finally find one, you send them a message - all time-consuming and to my way of thinking, stupid!

So, on the one occasion when I felt a desperate need to contact a Mod quickly, and "apparently" nobody was online at the time, I took drastic steps - I "reported" Editor Bob! (he forgave me the next day!)

Yes, I would definitely seem that all Mods receive all reports, (my "report" spread like wildfire!) so why not make the whole system easier for all of us and simply have a "contact" button?

With the risk of repeating myself (sorry Bob), opening links in the same window is silly to me...

@ SB - I think the point Kay was trying to make is that you cannot tell when a Mod is hovering online - quite often their status reads "offline".

Thus, when you want to contact a Mod, firstly you surf around to see who might really be online and then when you finally find one, you send them a message - all time-consuming and to my way of thinking, stupid!

I am not contradicting. As you don't know which mod may be online at which time just contact them all with a report. It's the least time-consuming method and reaches us all; we then deal with the reports.

If you want to contact a mod you can always e.g. report your own profile if you are not referring to a specific post.

EDIT: I have been informed that members cannot report their own profiles, I must have misinterpreted one of my experiments.

Report a random post, possibly by the moderator you are attempting to contact. Any method you choose, the mods will all see it.

How about an automated 'welcome to TT and here's the search function' type reply, the first time that new members post?

That TT software already exists: Keydeck 1.0

Perhaps the 2.0 version will be a bit more "welcoming", thanks for the suggestion.

Perhaps the 2.0 version will be a bit more "welcoming", thanks for the suggestion.

I highly doubt it...

How about banning the Moderation Robot, or at least teaching it some of the most basic rules about the English language?

This thread caught my eye, and didn´t appeal to it:

Short-term Jobs (no German necessary

- so, I tried in vain to correct the mistake:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/xtra/scripts/topic_title_edit.html?tid=181605

- and the Robot wouldn´t let me!

Now you see it; now you don't!

Sorry about that, couldn't get the link to go to the right post in a thread.

As previously stated, it sometimes amazes me what ends up in Nirvana, and what rubbish is actually left!

Edit: it was Kay herself playing at being a Mod! :rolleyes:

You can say that again...

This is the post I was trying to link to earlier because I thought it fit in very nicely with what PES was saying above about ueber-control and the like:

Let's have a restart without anything that says "G_tty _m_g_s" on it, please.

Thank you.

My reaction to it (pity you don't have the background but it was deleted, n'est-ce pas?) was expressed in the following terms:

Was it really necessary to delete the whole exchange? I think it would have been much more useful to let at least a part of it stand because it was a good reminder of (1) the need to steer clear of copyrighted material, (2) the 20-minute editing window (that many members seem unaware of), and (3) the possibility of using the report button to contact the mods for reasons other than its stated purpose.

... and has since been removed.

Q.E.D.

What was the point? What was wrong with the thread I started? I am sorry, and I do not mean to be petty, but it pissed me off as it points to some sad changes in TT's management. Seems like members are being over-ruled by control freak mods and admins. This a a worrisome trend.

Your thread was just fine as the lead-up. Once the game was on I started a new thread to prevent people from having to go through four pre-game pages until they got to the current status. The same thing was done for various other matches over various other tournaments.

Referring to Hellfire's post (number 37), am I the only one who doesn´t know what NSFW stands for?

Which of these is it then?

NSFW = no sex for weeks

NSFW = no sense for wit

NSFW = not seen for weeks

NSFW = nothing stolen from work

NSFW = nice skip forward

NSFW = non - sexy fat women

NSFW = nice Sara finds it witty

NSFW = not something for women