Letter that shows marital status

27 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am German my fiancée is not, we live in Sweden and we want to marry here but they need a letter that shows my marital status how can I get this letter without going to germany and what are the documents required. I read birth certificate of my fiancée is required, but why? he can't get birth certificate. is there any solution? thanks.

One of my good friend is a German. Her bf is from Cameroon. They both live here and it took them more than 12 months to get a certificate from his own country to prove thta he was never married and his birth certificate verification took a very long time too. I don't know how different it is in Sweden.

Certificate Of No Impediment To Marriage is what you and your Fiancée have to provide. you can get an International birth-certificate and the No impediment certificate from Standamt where your birth was registered, .You don’t have to be present all you need to do is make a call and make the payments not so expensive. For your Fiancée he would be required to provide both documents ask him to contact the Embassy of his country and enquire how they can assist him.

When I got married (in Germany) it went like this: You need an Ehefähigkeitszeugnis from your home country. Since no country in the World (except maybe Austria or Switzerland) has ever heard of an "Ehefähigkeitszeugnis", you simply can't produce one. In this case the German rules say you must apply for an "Antrag auf Befreiung von Ehefähigkeitszeugnis". There are fees for this Antrag and the fees are based on...wait....you guessed it... your income. So you have to produce your last three monthly income statements which gets passed around several Ämter until enough Kraut Bureaucrats have satisfied themselves that you as an Ausländer have some sort of job and aren't just marrying a local to go straight on the dole. Fairly clever little system actually. They really just want to know you've got a job and not whether you have five different wives back in Tijuana.

Why can he not get a birth certificate from an African country, how did he get into Sweden without a passport? you need a birth certificate to get a passport in all African countries.

Before you get married why not visit his homeland and get the required certificates there? in alot of countries they register marages onto the same certificate as birth cert, so when he gets this from his African country, it will have both, his identity and marage status. Or is there a reason to hide his identity or marage status. You claim he can't get this, is it not amatter that he chooses not to get it, or that it is too much effort or costs to much.

surely it would be prudent to visit the family of the person you are to marry, before you marry them!

Slightly irrelevant I know..but there was a well-known story in the 70s of a Swedish guy travelling around Africa using a Swedish hotel bill (with a glued on picture of himself) as a passport. Not sure it would work any longer..but this posting made me think of it! :D

he never had one, he is from Africa.

If he is African living in Sweden he must have identity papers such as a passport. To get such papers he must have shown the necessary authorities sufficient evidence of his formal identity and origin, maybe not a birth certificate, but he must have been able to prove who he was. Those same authorities should also be able to supply any additional certification you may need to enable marriage.

you can save yourself a whole lot off hassle if you take a "cheap " flight to Africa, or elsewhere that dosn't have the same requirements, get married then come back and register your marrige here as a done deal.

This happened to me last year when I got married here in Germany. The law required a letter that proved my martial statues. Well, being from the USA we have no such forms and no real way to prove it either. When I explained this sitution to our Notary ( the person that married us) all I had to do was swear an oath before him stating that I was not currently married in my home country or any other country.

you can save yourself a whole lot off hassle if you take a "cheap " flight to Africa, or elsewhere that dosn't have the same requirements, get married then come back and register your marrige here as a done deal.

I have to agree on this. You can for instance get married in South Africa. All you need is both your passports. Gets recognised immediately by the German authorities, you must just have the South African full marriage certificate translated here in Germany by a certified translator. We had similar problems. Although the German authorities could check my marital status online via the official South African Department of Home Affairs website, they refused to acknowledge it. No they wanted the paper. I am still waiting for that paper today and applied for it 2 years ago. So we rather went to SA and got married there. No fuss, no mess. And no, I had already been living in Germany for 16 years at the time, have a permanent residence permit and can have a German passport tomorrow if I so cared to have one, earn my own money etc and they still had to make it impossible for us to get married here. Just thinking about it again makes my blood boil.

At any rate, good luck to you both!

Wanted the clever forum peoples' opinion on the pickle I am in. I have gone through the archives but I still think if anyone has been in a similiar situation, their experiences might help me.

Fiancee and I are Pakistani citizens. I live in Germany and she lives in Saudi Arabia. I would like our marriage to be recognized in Germany so that I can bring her over. I was a student in Germany until very recently and have been offered a job in Nuremberg starting in October. This means I have a little more than a month to get married if we want to be together soon. Going to Pakistan or Saudi Arabia to get married would be too exhaustive/long/complicated.

After going through the archives, I thought of bringing her over on a 2 week tourist visa, going to Denmark and getting married there. She just got the 2 week visit visa and will be here mid-September. We plan on going to Denmark to get married in an express wedding. After getting my 3 monthly Einkommen slips, I should be able to apply for a family reunion visa.

Now, the questions: I found a Danish wedding agency's name from the forum (heiraten leicht gemacht) and spoke with them. They said I need the single-ness certificate, the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis. Where do I get this Ehefähigkeitszeugnis? The agency said I could go to an English speaking notary in Germany and sign an affidavit saying I am not married. I imagine such an affidavit might be sufficient for the Danish authorities but is it sufficient for the Germans too? I don't want to go through the whole thing, spend 1000 EUR and find the German authorities rejecting the Danish wedding certificates. Is only an Ehefähigkeitszeugnis from the home country's embassy acceptable in Germany even if the wedding was in Denmark?

In any case, does anybody know where do I find an English speaking notary anywhere in NRW and how much it would run me.

I am reviving this old thread. My Swiss pension needs proof I am not married. They said just go to an "amt".

So I emailed the Munich Standesamt and they said they can provide me with my registration that says I am "single". However, this isn't enough as I already sent this to the Swiss pension. How do I prove I am actually not married???

I also checked the US consulate in Munich and the website also said to check with local amt. I haven't emailed yet as I wanted to check here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

10 minutes ago, Nkwal said:

I am reviving this old thread. My Swiss pension needs proof I am not married. They said just go to an "amt".

So I emailed the Munich Standesamt and they said they can provide me with my registration that says I am "single". However, this isn't enough as I already sent this to the Swiss pension. How do I prove I am actually not married???

I also checked the US consulate in Munich and the website also said to check with local amt. I haven't emailed yet as I wanted to check here.

Sorry no help, just a comment that it seems weird that they need proof you are single. I can understand them wanting proof of marriage since that can impact a pension ( a wife can inherit a portion usually) but why would they not accept your word that you are single? In fact the only official document I have ever seen that showed I was single was my first marriage certificate that stated I was a bachelor prior to the ceremony, but clearly that would not be much help.:)

You might need to prove not only that you are unmarried now, but whether you have ever been married.  When I got married here, I needed to request a document from the US (from whichever legal records office does births, deaths, marriages IIRC) to state that I had never been married.  So maybe what they want is your marriage history, and you might need to provide them with information from each country you've lived in... just a guess.

When I got married here I had to apply at the regional court in Germany for an exemption for the certificate of no impediment. 

Maybe they want a certificate of no impediment?

2 hours ago, Nkwal said:

Perhaps you can use this Swiss form which certifies you are alive, and your marital status.  Ask your local Amt if they are able to complete it.  Lots of nice stamps, etc.   A bit more substantial than just your registration. Or at least ask the swiss pension people if this will be enough.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/spain/de/home/dienstleistungen/sozialversicherung/ahv-iv/lebensbescheinigung.html

There is a link  download the form about halfway down.  "Formular Lebens und Zivilstandsbescheinigung".  

Update: got the form, thanks so much!!! Went to Munchen Burger office and they filled it out, stamp and all :) Sent it to Switzerland, hope it works.

Thanks to all for suggestions.