Where to buy a haggis in Munich

70 posts in this topic

Hiya,

I am looking for a haggis for Burns' Night.

Editor Bob has sent me through info for the Munich Caledonians Burns' Night bash but it isn't on Burns' Night itself so I'm looking for a haggis still (I couldn't find them in Karstadt @ MUC-Freiheit by the way Bob).

Has anyone seen one or failing that know of another Burns' Night event (pref. on Burns' Night itself)?

I might have spent a lot of time in Essex but I am still a Doonhaemer (person from Dumfries - where Robert Burns lived, worked and died)! ;)

Katrina

@katrina,

Well this prompted me to google for haggis, could it be anything like Buffalo Wings? :P

Not sure this is the best site, but I had to see who Burn's was as well, this is what I found - http://www.smart.net/~tak/haggis.html (for the other Americans on the board)

I would also be curious if there are any restaurants in Munich with haggis on the menu? I will probably need beer the first time I try this from what I found on the web, but willing to give it a go nevertheless.

Thanks!

Hi again!

Nice to meet you last night btw.

Haggis lovely and peppery, nothing in there that you wouldn't find in any other sausage to tell the truth! Mind you, sheep's stomach isn't generally used now apart from when large ceremonial ones are made, usually non-edible plastic is used as a casing (and seeing as most sausage skin is pork intestines, well, no-one can start saying one is more grim than the other). Haggis has a lot of white pepper and with pearl barley to give that certain texture.

Robert Burns was a great romantic poet who also wrote a lot of lovely drinking songs (like "Green Grow the Rushes Oh").

If worst comes to the worst I'm in Stuttgart on 24th Jan and there is a good British Shop there so they might be worth a go.

Has anyone ever been to the Scots pub which is allegedly in Regensburg?

Cheers

Katrina

I'm *sure* I've seen Haggis at Mü Freiheit Karstadt. Maybe it was a one off. Or maybe I am confusing it with Galleria Marienplatz, or Karstadt Stachus. Sorry to be so vague. But I'm sure it's out there.

Failing that, see the for latest news: there will soon be direct flights to Edinburgh from Munich so maybe you can pick up a couple of bags of the real stuff (although not in time for Burn's night, admittedly).

Well everyone must keep their eyes peeled! There *might* be a reward...

I had heard about Duo starting but it is nice to know the dates, cheers Bob :)

Shame it isn't to Glasgow but heck I'm picky. A direct flight to Brum would be nice too...

Katrina

Hi

I was also having a haggis supply problem. Thanks for the link. McSweens haggi are the business.

I was also looking for a Burns' night on the right night but no joy. Has anyone been to the Munich Caledonian's Burns' night before (even though their do is off by a few days?)

That delivery is steep!

Is anyone else buying any as we could split the costs?

McSween is the best generally available (but the Dumfries ones have even more pepper in!).

Katrina

Fedex delivery is steep, particularly when one orders the Ceremonial numbers. I am going to order a couple for the people coming round here so happy to take orders and then split the bill. Looks like it takes 4-5 days extra to source them so probably an idea to place order monday at latest. If anyone wants one PM me.

Your hurdies like a distant hill...its bringing back memories.

Can't help with the "beastie" katrina but the pub is in Straubingerstrasse and not worth the travel time to visit.

Thanks for answering Granny!

Actually has anyone else heard talk that as Munich is twinned with Edinburgh there will be a Burns' Night supper in Munich Rathaus?

I shall investigate but should anyone hear anything please let me know asap!

:) Katrina

A friend from work shared this with me, thought I would pass it on in case anyone else might be interested in learning about Robert Burns.

Robert Burns

I know this is an old chain of conversations ... but Katrina did you ever find anywhere in Munich selling haggis ? I want to have a St Andrews Night (30th November for those of you that don't know !) but struggling to find the main course !! :blink:

according to this post from last year's Burns night at the Arc you can order McSween's online...

don't ask me where though, sorry

Yes everyone, if you'd like to buy the haggis and cook it, please do. I'd even be able to offer suitable CDs, books and DVDs (The High Life being new to my collection but I might save that for Eurovision).

Frankly I'm not sure if I'm personally up to doing such a large public event this year (I will celebrate it in any case, just not sure how), I'm afraid, but there are enough Scots here who could do so instead.

Thomas Green sell MacSween, I don't know about Editor Bob's sponsors' haggis.

Although benpanther could get some from Edinburgh for an East Coast vs. West Coast death match?