Dill! What the Dill do I cook with it?

41 posts in this topic

You could use it in stuffed zucchinis - dead easy to make and great for a quick meal.

Halve zucchinis lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop out flesh and chop finely. Grill zucchini halves until tender. Meanwhile dice onion and fry, then add finely chopped zucchini flesh and garlic and cook another couple of minutes. Chop up some feta cheese and add to zucchini mixture with a ton of chopped dill, salt and pepper, then spoon mixture into the zucchini halves and bake in the oven. Eat with a nice glas of wine and some bread, or whatever you fancy...

As others have already written, dill is always good in a salmon sauce for pasta.

we love to chop it up along with chives and add to our salads. Nothing like some fresh herbs to give the salad an extra boost of flavor...

2 Tablespoons of fresh dill

1 tablespoon of dried oregano

1 tablespoon of garlic powder

1 tablespoon of salt

1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper

1/2 tablespoon of mustard powder

lemon juice

olive oil

take 8 chicken thighs and de-bone and skin them. Marinate the thighs in the mixture for 4-8 hours. Grill them on the over indirect heat on the barbecue until cooked through.

Prepare a tsatziki and get some salad greens/red onion/tomatoes and pita breads.

Cut the chicken up in to strips and make up some well tasty greek-style chicken pitas. Well nice

A really easy way of using dill is in omelet. I like the omelet with fresh dill. (just chop some fresh dill and add it in the omelet composition).

Let me know if you tried and if you liked it.

I was about to say.... I love dill on top of fresh scrambled eggs or eggs of any sort. Potato salad, tomatoes, fish, anything with a bit of tang to it also.

Add a lot of fresh chopped dill to a buttermilk, white rice and broccoli soup. Divine!

Cucumber Salad

slice a cucumber

mic with a dressing made of:

3 tbsp sunflower oil

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

finely chopped dill

salt, pepper, small pinch of sugar

you can also add 1-2 spoonfuls of plain yoghurt/creme fraiche to the dressing

Thank you all for the advice. I hope to buy salmon from Fish man tomorrow to have a go at these recipes. Plenty of ideas now!

Dill is wonderful on cooked eggs of any kind or mixed with lemon for fish or even chicken. It also makes a great garnish. If you are completely overwhelmed with it, it dries beautifully. Just let it dry thoroughly and store it in airtight jars or ziplock bags.

Get your blender out (I use a magic bullet). Through in 1/4 cup of virgin olive oil, 1 medium onion, 4 garlic cloves (I love lots of garlic!!), lemon juice from 2 lemons, about 3 tablespoons of dill (fresh or dry - the more the better for me) and salt to taste. Blend it up! No chopping just blend that puppy 'till it's nice and smooth. Take a baking dish and lay chicken breasts (or what ever part you like) and pour the dill smoothie over it. Place in the oven at 170 and bake for 35mins (or until golden brown). Easiest and best lemon chicken you've ever had!

I like to serve it with white rice (made with olive oil and salt) and tzatziki (same recipe as TM above except I add a little lemon juice to it) and a roasted pita on the side. Chop up the left over (if there is any) chicken on top of salad the next night for a nice summer dish...mmmmmm!

P.S. Use the same dill smoothie/marinade mix for BBQ'n both chicken or fish, you'll be amazed!

Just so happens that I've been looking for a recipe for chicken soup, and this one uses dill. More recipes with dill can be found using the search box here. The Scandinavians seem to love dill with fish, and here's Sweet Dill Mustard Sauce to go with gravad lax.

Not read the entire thread so no idea if it has been up already:

Dill goes really well with salmon. Poach or cook en papiette your salmon. Your sauce should consist of sauted onions and mushrooms.When they are done, chuckin a good glass of white wine. Reduce. Add a little vege or fish stock. (just a little as they are quite salty and you don't want to overpower the taste of the fish and dill). Do not boil the sauce - you will kill it. When it is starting to bubble, chuck in a good punch of chopped dill. Chop it fairly fine. Turn heat off and stir in.

Poached salmon goes well with peeled new spuds and maybe a bit of steamed broc or mange tout. Serve the sauce and fish how you like however. To make it a little flash, just before serving, bung some concasse on top of the fish.

A quick dish and not too heavy or expensive.If you are feeling flush chuck just a few prawns and or fresh mussels into the sauce. (although if you do this, chuck em in with the wine - make sure those suckers are cooked ;-) )

Have fun with your dill - would love to hear how you get on with the suggestions on here

Taff

I wonder how dill would taste with baked feta? I remember loving dill pickle chips growing up...

I often copy a particular sandwich from a local shop back home that I loved which uses dill. They would make a panini with turkey breast, red onion, and some veggies of your choice and top it with dill. Delicious.

or alternatively, I bet a dill mayonnaise would taste nice on that sandwich..

For the best uses of dill, look to the Greeks.

I used a shedload of it last time I made spinach and feta spanakopita. You don't even have to stuff it into anything, the combination of dill, feta and spinach is delicious as side dish or a filling.

This post brought to you by:

Eleanor Rigby

Dill is wonderful with any fish...let it sit in some sour cream and it makes a great veggie dip. I like to add it with lemon and make tuna melts with dill...yumm..ok my mouth is watering now lol..enjoy!