Hiking and pitching your tent on the trail

17 posts in this topic

I would like to go camping this weekend, in Bavaria. I want to go overnight, but I can't figure out if it's possible to pitch your tent somewhere along the trail (obviously not ON the trail, but I expect to find a clearing somewhere...), or if that's illegal and I have to find a camp site. Now, I don't want one of those huge camp sites made for families that has water slides and what not. I basically just need a patch of grass.

Can't even figure out how to find the information! All the websites about hiking in Bavaria talks about the great hiking and the great trails, but nothing about overnight hikes and how to do it!

Thanks in advance guys.

that could be a problem. afaik, "Wildzelten" or just pitching your tent where you fancy is illegal in Germany (and many other European countries). Asking a farmer is usually greeted with a gruff "Nein!" as they are afraid of you leaving a mess and disturbing their precious cows. And the alps aren't exactly known for the camp sites either.

OG's info is still correct. You stay in a cabin run by the Alpenverein or something.

See also: Regulations on wild camping in Germany

Trying to avoid "tourist" camping

Some huts run by the Alpenverein (at least in Austria) will let you camp next to them. Call and ask before hand though, as most do not allow you to cook, as they want you to eat at the hut, and some charge for the camping, so it is not always worth it.

I would like to go camping this weekend, in Bavaria. I want to go overnight, but I can't figure out if it's possible to pitch your tent somewhere along the trail...

nothing about overnight hikes and how to do it!

You'll plan to do camping or hiking, pal? We Germans often associate with camping the highly sportive activity of driving out to a lake, park the Merzedes near some BMW on the beach, and pitch the tent right nearby. Which pizzez off some of the neighbors, which in turn is not understood neither by the Mercedes campers nor the BMW sportsmen at all. Because they paid expensive money for their sports vehicles.

Going on a hiking trip, however, quite often is done on foot, and less so with a car, and as a hiker you usually enjoy more understanding about the need to spend the night somewhere in the magnificent outdoors. The latter I do all the time, and I never met anyone threatening me or somehow not sharing my desire to sleep under that apple-tree or on a freshly cleared meadow.

So as long as you don't sleep where the locals plant their vegetables or go for the nightly walk with the dogs, you should be fine. Just leave the spot as clean as it was on arrival, and don't cut any trees or start open fire. If you cook your Linseneintopf on a small stove, that's no problem either. Be sure to carry either several water bottles or take some water purifier with you; if you walk around the (flat) countryside, coming to drinking water can be tricky. By the way, we have plenty of ants in the forests...

And then don't forget we're in a time of high shooting star activity, so leave the tent at home and get a clear view of our galaxy out there. Enjoy!

postmann - now that's what I'm talking about.

The camping you describe isn't at all what I'm looking for, but the overnight hiking trip however is. Thanks for the tip! I only mentioned the driving because we can't just put on our gear and walk out the door, we need to drive somewhere to a trail.

Oh, and if you know any nice hiking trails in Bavaria, let me know (not talking about the alps this time, but slightly further north as we will be driving from Nurnberg)

I can't figure out if it's possible to pitch your tent somewhere along the trail (obviously not ON the trail, but I expect to find a clearing somewhere...), or if that's illegal and I have to find a camp site.

I usually pitch my tent every morning, but have not been told its illegal by anyone. :D

Hej, sorry, cannot recommend you anything specific, but you can go in any direction from Nuernberg and do great hiking in Franken, no need to see Bayern. :) South you have the Fraenkische Jura and Altmuehl valley, North is Fraenkische Schweiz and Steigerwald, for example. Go East and enjoy the wonderful Bayerische Wald or even better the Boehmerwald (but that's a natural reserve - Naturpark, so no overnighting out there, and they are a bit strict in the Bayerische Wald!), and West you can hike along the Tauber valley. Why not start hiking out East, along the ancient Koenig-Ludwig-Kanal towards Neumarkt for a start? And take the train back home then.

What you want to get yourself is some good maps, especially if you can read them. Possibly the UK - Umgebungskarten are suited best for you, as they show the hiking (and biking) trails. I usually do biking (and sleeping under the apple-trees) throughout summer, and hiking more in wintertime.

Cool, that's great advice. Thanks a lot. I think we'll do some reconnaissance this weekend, maybe Bayrische Wald.

Again - thanks a lot!

I usually pitch my tent every morning, but have not been told its illegal by anyone.

Try doing it on the trail and then see... !

You could always try pitching a tent somewhere else, like at work for example.

Find a field just before dusk, pitch tent, get up early enough and move on...

It may be illegal but you will only get into trouble if you get caught :-)

Here's a much more reasonable approach to allowing camping and recreational land use.

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=44&nocache=1

I do rather wish the German authorities would relax a bit concerning wilderness camping. It's a real pity that things are so complicated here.

Here's another slightly friendlier approach that might serve as a model for Germany:

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/Where-to-stay/Camping-in-Norway/Tenting-in-the-wilderness/

Pitch your tent wherever you like. ;)

Here's another one:

http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/what-can-i-do/relaxation-and-recreation/camping/

I do rather wish the German authorities would relax a bit concerning wilderness camping. It's a real pity that things are so complicated here.

You have to understand why the laws are the way they are and, IMVHO, it's again because so many people lack basic common sense, and especially an understanding for the peculiarities of the outdoors. You just have to look at the Flaucher (for non-Muncheners that's a popular riverside bbq spot near the city centre) the morning after a sunny evening to see what I mean. People leave crap near the overflowing bins that the local foxes then distribute everywhere and this could be avoided if everyone just took their shit home with them - you carried it there so clean up after yourself :angry: .

Generally folk who are interested in the mountains and real outdoors are better but near the mountains there are so many weekend sportsfolk that were wild camping generally allowed then all hell would break loose. It just couldn't work with the natives' natural sense of entitlement to everything that's not specifically forbidden. And so, we have this law and many others like it. It replaces what we Anglo-Saxons refer to as common sense. That's perhaps a little unkind to some but holds true for a great many.

As postmann states if you take care to clean up and respect what's around you then nobody will disturb you or care what you're doing, the locals passing by may stop by for a chat out of curiosity, or to offer assistance, but if you're careful they'll be happy. After all it's very unlikely that the Polizei will climb a thousand hohenmeter to issue you with a ticket. I know plenty of people who cycle into the forests around Munich at night and sleep in the open. They cook there, sometimes pitch a tent, do everything that's forbidden, and yet these are the people who care the most about the open spaces and are the most active in protecting them. Herr und Frau BMW X5 mit die Kinder are put off by the laws against doing this which makes it quieter, more enjoyable, and the nature is protected from their lack of appreciation at the same time.

Everyone is happy.

That was a very reasonable answer.

I live in Niedersachsen, which is quite a different world from Munich--no mountains unfortunately.

I think my original objection is the over all blanket ban. It makes sense in the area surrounding Munich, but perhaps not in largely depopulated areas of Meck-Pomm.

If you want to be unobtrusive, ditch the tent.Just get yourself an ex-army poncho and some bungees. You can have an adequate shelter up in two minutes. Being ex-army, these things are generally green or cammo and blend in a treat. To reduce your silhouette, you just move the bungees. You can really do low-impact camping with these things. As an added plus, the weight is minimal.