Best campsites around Bavaria

21 posts in this topic

OK so we have our new tent and are really hoping to try it out soon :) I checked the two other camping threads but they were mainly geared to camping in and around Munich. We want to go a bit further out.

We last camped at Königsee...was beautiful and a great site...but we are hoping to go somewhere different.

Any recommendations within 200 kms?

Am sure you'd be able to find somewhere near this little villiage in Oberpolz. Lovely area, very thick Bavarian accents though...

Lam

hehe...that is just the one that I showed Tommy ;)

Thanks for that site...my search did not bring that up.

Just checked the location of Waging am See and it's only an hour and half drive. Cool. Y'all planning on bringing friends? ;)

Hubby and I made a little vacation for a week biking around Bodensee. It's an easy bike trip that can be done in less time, but it's nice to take your time, stop for lunch in a new town, and set up camp at one of the many campsites in the afternoon in time to take the blowup raft out on the lake. In fact, we talked about how nice it would be to go back for a weekend and bike up to Meersburg and just stay at one campsite the whole time. I'd still like to do that.

You can get there on a Bayern ticket + bike ticket.

There was a huge storm in the evening toward the end of our trip, and it was great! It's not necessarily a bad thing being confined to your tent for a bit. ;)

We went a few weeks ago to Hohenschwangau camping (where Neuschwanstein castle is). You can travel with a Bayern Ticket (up to 5 people for EUR 24,- each way) and takes only 2 to 3 hours. Buy a ticket to Füssen, then take the bus from across the road from the train station to Hohenschwangau to see the castle. For camping, there are at least 2 camp sites but are a little further away from the castle. You can take the bus there (ask at the tourist info in Hohenschwangau).

We were at Bannwaldsee (I think it was called that) campsite but I recommend not going there. We paid here €50,- for 3 days but the ground was FULL with stones and I knackered all my pegs trying to get them into the ground. There is no shop on site for essentials. The restaurant there opens at 11:00 and closes at about 20:00. Sometimes the whole campsite has "Rühetag" when everything is shut, so no chance of a beer... had to walk 5,5KM just for a beer :} Maybe it is worth checking out the other site...

We would have preferred not camping on a campsite, but in this area it is highly protected and there are very few (if any) places where you are allowed to camp (we found that out the hard way after tramping around hours in burning sun with 40KG on our backs.

We have been advised by the locals, however, to speak with the farmers next time and you should have no problem to camp on their land. Next time we plan to go to the village of Schwangau and do just that... there are better facilities there (shops, bars if you need them), and is not so far away from the castle and other sites.

Possible activities:

1) NEUSCHWANSTEIN CASTLE: amazing fantasy castle from King Ludwig II - a must-see. There is also another castle here which, we have been told, is just as interesting as Neuschwanstein. We rode up the mountain on a horse-drawn carriage (which was relaxing and hilarious as the horses were doing synchronised farting with every step LOL)

2) CABLE-CAR: you can see some amazing views from the mountains (the scenery is amazing here and we plan to go back soon!);

3) PARAGLIDING: a tandem jump costs €110,-;

4) CAMEL RIDES?!? LOL WTF??

5) SUMMER RÖDELBAHN (TOBOGGAN): costs €2,50 per ride or 6 rides for €10,- which is also fun :)

6) LIVE CLASSICAL CONCERTS;

7) LUDWIG THE MUSICAL;

8) KÖNIGLICHE KRISTALL-THERMÉ: Sauna complex with outdoor pool with wonderful view of the mountains. By full moon they are open late outside;

Hope this helps...

4) CAMEL RIDES?!? LOL WTF??

OK I see your 'WTF' and raise you a 'huh'?! :lol: I am almost tempted to go just to see that. Interesting.

Thanks for all the info guys!

do you know if it's aloud to do free camping in Germany? i hate to go to the "organized" campings, i just want to place my tent wherever i want with no signs of civilization!

b

Hey Blimeygirl, the camping at Garmisch is good, niche and flat and by the river. also Prien am Chiemsee.

Otherwise not in Bavaria but within 200k, I can totally, utterly recommend the campsite by the big, famous waterfall in Austria (so famous that I've forgotten the name, ask me when it's not sunday morning...).. crikey. Anyway the campsite is flat, grassy, cheap as hell and friendly. fab walks through to the waterall and along the valley to all the cute villages.

Otherwise why not Merano? (just over Italian border). This is about 2 hours from Munich (less if Tom drives), fantastic alpine walking but with Italian food and wine. the campsite in merano is cheap, flat, grassy and has a lovely heated pool! Perfect.

Just got back from camping at Gardasee and it sucked. The place was a glorified parking lot full of stones and RV's. I guess you could say standard European camping.

I'd love to do more camping anywhere within a 400km radius of Munich, but am hoping for more of a traditional camping experience (i.e. no restaurant on-site, a bit of privacy, woods).

Can anyone recommend a place where we could at least build a campfire and maybe swim on a lake or something? I'm interested in a campsite, not just walking into the woods. Just hoping to find something more akin to American camping, even if we have to go to another country to do it.

hi there Blimeygirl. Im looking at going camping around Konigsee, can you recommend anywhere?? Many thanks :D

I need some recommendations.
My German husband has never really been camping.  I've never been camping in Europe, though I brought my tent over  when I moved here.  I camped mostly in national and state parks, where there were mostly tents, shade, a bit of space between camp sites and, yes, bath houses.  I like plumbing, flush toilets, and hot showers.  What I don't like?   Restaurants, shops, and all the nonsense I see on most of the website for camp grounds over here.  Sheesh, the hotels I stay in have fewer amenities than German camp grounds.  The pictures show mostly RVs.  Blech.  That's not camping.  I am also amazed that some of the shoddy little places here charge more in low season than the most expensive Florida state park campground (and really beautiful) down in the Keys.  

Okay, done griping.  I'm just disappointed that it won't be the sort of experience that I want my husband to have, beauty of nature and all that, just outside the tent.  (One time, I woke up in the middle of the night to armadillos scuffling around outside my tent.  Just on the other side of the nylon.   Scared the snot out of me.  Glad it wasn't a bear!  And the dog wasn't with me.  And I kept a clean site, too...all the food locked up in my cooler, in my truck!)  

We were going to go to Slovenia in June, after Pentecost.  CoVid put an end to those camping plans, so we're looking closer to home.  We're taking the Airedale with us, too, so we need somewhere dog friendly.  We live in Bayern, but are happy to drive a bit.   Any suggestions, recommendations, ideas?  
Thanks, Sus

There are numerous books and websites dedicated to camping sites throughout Germany and Europe.  Doing a google search is going to provide more up-to-date info.  The vast majority allow dogs, but one does need to pay a bit extra.  Most will separate tent areas from RVs.  Googling will also provide reviews and costs along with what is on offer. 

Wild camping is mostly forbidden in Germany, although there are areas where it is allowed.  Here in the Allgäu there is a route one can take that does involve camping or overnight in a Hütte.  It offers nature and only a wee bit of luxury with the ability to shower, toilets, biergarten, bed (if desired) and food.  One can camp nearby if desired.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  

Could you tell me more about the Allgäu route?  Where would I find more info about it?

Yes, we've googled our little hearts out, looked on all those websites sites, looked at dozens and dozens of camp grounds, and read hundreds of reviews in both English and German.  We already know that dogs cost extra and that often even showers cost extra.  To be honest, I surprised that some places don't charge each time you flush the toilet.  

I was hoping for perhaps a personal and specific recommendation.  "We went to this place and really liked it.  It's more about nature and less about being a resort for old people in RVs."  Nothing against old people.  I'm pushing 60, but I don't want camp in a retirement community on wheels.  That's all I see, even when my husband googles using "Zelt" in his searches.  Either that, or kids' camps.