How to watch BBC and other English TV channels

16 posts in this topic

I live in Munich. When I first connected my new flat screen to the cable(already supplied for the entire block of apartments), it first scanned for channels. After 15 mins or so, it came back with nearly 200 of them (with about 20 digitals and the rest analog), clearly listed, numbered and labelled, and including BBC World, BBC1, BBC2, Bio, CBBC (for those with kids), all the SKY movies channels, and a lot of other foreign channels.

Unfortunately, when trying to view any them, they turned out to be all scrambled, except for BBC world and CNN. I then contacted the cable company (in my case, "Kabel & Medien Service"), with the hope that I could access the scrambled channels for a fee. Instead they sent me a list of premium packages I could buy, but the only one with English channels was still restricted to ... GOD TV and Sky News! So no BBC channels or SKY on offer.

Does anyone know how it can be that foreign TV channels seem to be available at first but there is no cable company that allows them to be watched? or is there any?

Thanks

Lazuli.

No answers to this I see, but here's another question.

We have BBC World on our Cable TV system here in Berlin. It's PYOR and seems to be the only option we have at the moment.

Over recent months, the audio reception has begun to break up, Sometimes it's so bad that it isn't possible to understand anything.

Does anyone else have this problem and maybe a solution? It only happens on the BBC World channel. The others are fine.

Thanks for any help.

You usually know what you're ralking about Black!:D Could you be more specific please? Does this package have a name?

Or  try with a big satelite dish to get a UK spot beam of ASTRA 2

I have M-Net cable in Munich like the rest in my building. I also receive CNBC Europe, Al Jazeera, Russia Today (RT), France 24 (in English), Bloomberg. Mainly news channels, but also SRF 2, RSI LA 1 and 2. These Swiss channels often show movies and series in English. Also, free Champions League football on Wednesdays with a top match. No package, just standard cable. Spread the word!

For a satellite dish I need permission from the Hausverwaltung which I will not get.

15 hours ago, Acton said:

You usually know what you're ralking about Black!:D Could you be more specific please? Does this package have a name?

Hi Acton,

They offer BBC World News in their satellite package.

http://www.senderinfo.de/MagentaTV_Sat.pdf - page 2, 3rd column

I think they used to offer BBC Entertainment too but I can't see this. I don't really watch TV so much as Blu rays and Amazon/Netflix.

To see the 'two channel' English options on extra bookable channels  in that PDF look for the little symbol that looks like glasses to the right . That starts from page 5, immediately with Big TV section, first option Kanal 200 - little symbol to the right. There are a lot of channels with that.

You could also stream BBC World News through other providers

https://www.netzwelt.de/tv-sender/bbc-world-news.html#bbc-world-news_streaming

I have the same problem in Cologne with cable and no chance of adding a satellite dish. To circumvent this and watch TV programs such as BBC1, I use my computer with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to bypass any georestrictions. 

. After installing the VPN on your computer, chose the country where you want to watch TV and connect to it.

. Google BBC or whatever you fancy and follow their procedures to see their programs.

. Connect the computer to your usual TV screen with an HDMI cable.

"Le VPN" is a reliable VPN and costs about 5 Euros a month.

6 hours ago, orsonbuggy said:

I have the same problem in Cologne with cable and no chance of adding a satellite dish. To circumvent this and watch TV programs such as BBC1, I use my computer with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to bypass any georestrictions. 

. After installing the VPN on your computer, chose the country where you want to watch TV and connect to it.

. Google BBC or whatever you fancy and follow their procedures to see their programs.

. Connect the computer to your usual TV screen with an HDMI cable.

"Le VPN" is a reliable VPN and costs about 5 Euros a month.

I am with Spiderpig on this one

Buy a firestick about 40 euro's

Configure your VPN on the firestick

Sit in a comfy chair and watch TV on your TV, while holding the remote to change channels etc -- No more cables 

On 16/11/2020, 16:32:59, Acton said:

No answers to this I see, but here's another question.

We have BBC World on our Cable TV system here in Berlin. It's PYOR and seems to be the only option we have at the moment.

Over recent months, the audio reception has begun to break up, Sometimes it's so bad that it isn't possible to understand anything.

Does anyone else have this problem and maybe a solution? It only happens on the BBC World channel. The others are fine.

Thanks for any help.

FFS, exactly what era do you live in?  oh I forgot you live in Pankow, never mind we'll save that for another thread, get yourself an Amazon Firestick and a smart dns connection and you'll get BBC, ITV and All4 etc.

Or...get one of the new chromecasts from Google, install a VPN (you'll need a subscription), set it to Switzerland and then use Zattoo to watch all FTA UK channels at no further cost.

On 19.11.2020, 00:24:55, Sir Percy B said:

FFS, exactly what era do you live in?  oh I forgot you live in Pankow, never mind we'll save that for another thread, get yourself an Amazon Firestick and a smart dns connection and you'll get BBC, ITV and All4 etc.

FFS?? What is your problem?