New in Saarbrücken (or new to this forum)

78 posts in this topic

My son is 3, and has just started at Kindergarten. We live in South Dudweiler, near the University by-pass, and my wife works at the Uni. I'm doing a distance learning degree in Renewable Energy Systems.

He understands English and (we think) some German, but it's hard to tell as he only speaks about 5 words. We don't tend to meet many people outside of Kindergarten.

We are not new to Saarbruecken but we have found finding activities and ideas over the last two years difficult, there was one playgroup we went to that dissapeared, and we go to a Musikgarten but my son does not join in activities and follow instructions well.

There is a new Facebook group intended to help English-speaking families network.

Facebook group name: English-speaking Families in Saarbrücken

Description: The goal of this group is to facilitate social connections and to promote information sharing among English-speaking families living in and around Saarbrücken, Germany. Multilingual families are welcome to join; the group's language of communication will be English. This group is intended for families with children, and for anyone planning on future children. The group's activities should generally relate to family life and associated topics (living in Saarbrücken and Germany, leisure time, health care, childcare and schooling, requests for specific information, proposed events, English-language resources, etc.). Please feel free to introduce yourself, after you join. Welcome!

I cannot find this new facebook group. Can you please post a link to it?

If you are logged into Facebook, you should be able to see the group via the link below. The group's privacy is currently set to "closed" (posts are visible only to members).

http://www.facebook.com/groups/EnglishSpeakingFamiliesInSB/

Hi haydensphere! Thanks for posting the Facebook group info. I just sent a request to join. We've been living in Germany since last July and I've been hoping to connect with other expat moms with small kids. My son is 2.5 and my daugther is 7, and while my husband is German, my kids (and I) speak English and it's been rather hard finding other English speakers. Hoping to make some connections here and on the new Facebook page. :)

Hi chicagomom, haydensphere and Rankersbo,

I think we're in a similar boat! I'm in Püttlingen - but willing to travel to or around SB. I'd love to meet other English speakers with kids, it's been rather lonely since December (that's when we got here)!

Yes, but they're generally advertised through the facebook group. We've been having a quiet patch as a lot of families seem to have running illnesses.

Thanks to all who have requested to join the Facebook group "English-speaking Families in Saarbrücken". If your request hasn't been approved yet, please be sure to check your "Other" message folder in Facebook.

Directions: On your FB page, click on the conversation-bubble icon (for private messaging) to reveal a small pop-up window. Links across the top of this little window are "Inbox", "Other", and "Send a New Message". Click on the "Other" link to see any messages that Facebook has filtered out of your "Inbox" (for example, sent by people FB thinks you don't know, such as group moderators).

Apologies in advance to anyone who has not noticed a message waiting in this "Other" folder!

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum, and this discussion! I also just sent a request on FB to the group also. I am french and moved to SB to join my boyfriend who is german. We're going to be soon parents of a little boy and we're pretty much excited but we'd love to meet other families and parents! We need some advise as future new parents :)

Hope to meet you soon,

Claire

We are as expat family in Southern California right now, but after beeing here for 5 years now, we are going to move back to the Saarlouis area in 4 months. We have 2 kids who learned to speak english here and we are looking for familys with also english speaking kids to meet up, because we don't want the kids to loose the ability of speaking the english language. Our kids are almost 7 , a boy and 2 a girl.

I saw your posts and I was wondering if you did find a playgroup or other american familys with little kids in the saarbruecken/Saarlouis area?

Thank you

Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian graphic desginer with fluent English but limited German living Saarbrucken with my husband. If anyone hears of a job where I might be able to work in my field without knowing fluent German (or even another job, not in graphic design, where I could work), I'd love tips :) Thank you! Juba

I have passed by the offices of these people before and/or seen some of their designs. I don't know if they're hiring though but I suppose it never hurts to ask:

http://www.bureaustabil.de/kontakt.html

Hi i am mia and just moved to here in March. I'd like to know some friends here since i work in a small company and the social circle is quite small. I lived in Berlin before,so living here is a little boring: ( I am interested in running, sport, games and also movie, music. 

Iet me know if you are also interested and very nice to meet you: )

Mia 

Hi chicagomom, haydensphere and Rankersbo,

I think we're in a similar boat! I'm in Püttlingen - but willing to travel to or around SB. I'd love to meet other English speakers with kids, it's been rather lonely since December (that's when we got here)!

If you or any english-speaking parents you have met are looking for a 6-7 year old girl to have play dates with, please contact me directly at gitarreman@gmail.com. My daughter is in desperate need of a girl her age to play with in English. Thanks in advance

jimi

Hi haydensphere! Thanks for posting the Facebook group info. I just sent a request to join. We've been living in Germany since last July and I've been hoping to connect with other expat moms with small kids. My son is 2.5 and my daugther is 7, and while my husband is German, my kids (and I) speak English and it's been rather hard finding other English speakers. Hoping to make some connections here and on the new Facebook page. :)

Chicagomom,

Are you guys still in Saarbruecken?  My daughter is 7, but usually plays with older girls. Might work. Let me know. Gitarreman@gmail.com

Jimi (and others), You might be interested in joining the group "English-speaking Families in Saarbrücken" on Facebook! Juba