New in Saarbrücken (or new to this forum)

78 posts in this topic

Have you tried Krua Thai? It tends to be more expensive, and the service can be slow, but I find it better than the other Thai restaurants in SB. I particularly like the green papaya salad (note, always available but not on the menu for some reason).

I've been in Homburg for a week or so now, and I'm looking to make some friends in the surrounding areas. Is it ok for newcomers to come to the English Stammtisch? I must admit though, I'm more than a little shy :/

captious: I haven't tried Krua Thai yet. I tried the one in the Europa-Galerie ("Asiatische Tisch" or something). It was actually decent, finally, but not yet great. The "Saigon" restaurant on Richard-Wagner-Straße is very good though---they at least have something that vaguely resembles the pho I left behind, if pricey, and the service is great. The Chinese restaurant next to the crepe place in SJM was quite good too.

I've been to Saigon. I find it acceptable, but it's (supposedly) Vietnamese, not Thai. Last time I was there though, despite claiming to be a Vietnamese restaurant, they didn't have many standard Vietnamese dishes on the menu. I didn't see any pho at all. Maybe they've changed the menu since then.

The Chinese restaurant next to the crepe place in SJM? Asia King? Are you joking? I actually just ate there this week for the first time (by chance) and the gloopy brown sauce was pretty disgusting. My husband did say that he ate there once and ordered something (doesn't remember what) that didn't come with the cornstarch MSG gloop, and it was edible.

I've been in Homburg for a week or so now, and I'm looking to make some friends in the surrounding areas. Is it ok for newcomers to come to the English Stammtisch? I must admit though, I'm more than a little shy :/

Yeah, new people show up all the time. I was there this week (my fourth time I think) and I only recognized one person!

Yeah, Saigon is supposed to be Vietnamese, I know. However, they had on their "dinner specials" menu for two Saturdays running a Pho item. It is not North-American quality pho. It uses the wrong noodles. But it is recognizably pho-like that I appreciated it, and they staff are friendly and the service is good. They believe me when I ask for "scharf".

Asia King? Is that what it's called? I didn't order anything with gloopy brown sauce, although I've had plenty of gloopy-brown-sauce "Chinese" food in the USA. Gloopy MSG brown sauce is itself a form of cuisine :) But I had their hot and sour soup, which I asked for "scharf, sehr sehr scharf, ich bin nicht Deutsch, scharfer als was Sie denken, dass scharf ist" (which usually gets me mildly piquant at best), and I liked it. And then I had their fried noodles with chicken (I was feeling cheap), and they did a good job compared to the 2-3 other places I've so far had it at. I'd go back.

Since you were at the Stammtisch, I have therefore met The Captious One, and in fact I can pretty much guess who exactly you were. Nice to have met you!

Messaged :)

I went back to Asia King and had the gloopy brown sauce. Um, I see what you mean now. I'd still get their noodles, though, and the soup.

There's the Star of India (I think) in Nauwieser Viertel. I haven't tried it. A credible real-life source tells me that it isn't very good.

Hi everyone, I've been living in SB with my husband for about a year. We're both American, and we'd love to drop in on the Stammtisch sometime!

Also, I have a recommendation for an Indian restaurant-- Pizzeria Punjab on the Kaiserslauternerstr - http://www.pizzeria-punjab.de For whatever reason, they also serve Italian food, but the Indian food is pretty good, and the prices are reasonable.

I'm from Atlanta, which has some pretty spectacular Indian restaurants, and I'd be lying to say that I don't still miss them. However, Punjab does a nice job considering the availability of ingredients for Indian dishes can't be that great around here.

Great. There's also (I discovered this week) Mohan's on Halbergstr, only a couple of blocks away from one of the Saarbahn stops on Mainzerstr. It was pretty good. It's also a pizzeria, technically, but it has a Mexican and Indian menu, and appears to be cheaper than Pizzeria Punjab and way cheaper than Star of India.

Indian food doesn't really require particularly exotic ingredients. I think the spice shop in the Diskonto Passage has most of what you need and is not very expensive. I've seen cilantro in grocery stores. I only am just collecting appliances right now, so I haven't tried yet.

I ate at Punjabi Pizzeria once a few years ago. Maybe I was there on an off day but the Indian food was awful. Some of the worst I've eaten. Perhaps I should try it again...

We've ordered Indian take out from Mohan a couple times at work. One of the north Indian students really likes it, but (at least for the veggie dishes) I thought it was way too much cream and not enough other stuff. My husband, who is pickier than I, said it was inedible. He won't eat at Star of India anymore either.

So we end up just eating Indian food at home. Other than some of the Indian vegetables, we can get most of what we need quite easily. The City Basar Turkish store carries a number of Indian ingredients (various pulses, chickpea flour, fresh coriander/cilantro, spices, okra, etc.), and the Sri Lankan grocery store that's a few blocks away even has fresh curry leaves.

Is that the one near the city centre Netto? It's currently closed after a fire.

That's Central Markt, not City Basar, and its closure kind of bummed me out because it's very convenient.

I tried the Chicken à la Mohan at Mohan's, and they believed me when I said I wanted it spicy (I look and am ancestrally South Indian and am used to far spicier than even the Asian restaurants here will give me). It was on the whole pretty good. It doesn't hold a candle to what I could get in Ottawa or Toronto, but it was acceptable and cost under 10€.

Speaking of Netto, especially the Netto in Alt-SB near Sparkasse-SB HQ, there's a Chinese restaurant next to it which served me the closest thing to ma la cooking I've been able to find here. It was pricey, and it was a little runny and bland (the ma la beef), but I was grateful for its existence. They have a special menu all in Chinese with no translation; kind of frustrating because I am suspecting true deliciousness can be had off that menu.

Hi there,

I am new to this forum . Looking to find some English speaking people to make friendship . I am German but like to speak English . Ages and skin color no matter for me,everyone is very welcome . I am living in Dillingen near Saarlouis. Working in reatail business ,employeed. Wish someone to meet to talk to by having a coffee or a drink . Havev got a car so no problem for me to come to Saarbruecken or elsewhere around . Have already been to the US , to Canada also to the UK . Know strange mentalities and I am open for every topic to talk about . Would be very nice to say Hallo to a English speaker . Can help to learn German of course.

Thanks a lot for a quick replay as soon as possible.

Gina :-)

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I've been in Saarbrucken since June and just had a baby in September, so it's been hard to find time to meet people. Anyone interested in meeting up for coffee sometime?

I'm also interested in finding someone to do a language exchange with. My German is very elementary, but I'd be happy to exchange English or Spanish for German lessons.

Hi, I have been living in Saarbrücken since September, Have found it somewhat of a challenge to make friends, so if anyone fances a coffee sometime, that would be great :-)

Hello! My 2.5-year-old son speaks only English, and I'm looking for opportunities for him to spend time with other English-speaking children. We already attend several German-speaking group activities, so I'd like to add more English into the mix. We are American, although we came to Germany by way of England, where my son was born.

If you have any ideas/suggestions, or fancy meeting up, please message me. If you are new to Saarbrücken, feel free to contact me for ideas on what to do with your young child in the city. (I did not give birth here, so I can't help with health care advice.)

About us: I care for my son while my husband works. We live in Dudweiler near the University. No car, but I have a bus pass. I dabble in foreign languages, and am happy to practice intermediate-level German or French. I'd be delighted to participate in a language exchange (German for English). My educational background includes languages, computer science, and statistics. With young children, I'd be happy to help facilitate music, art, and movement activities.