Report of Birth Abroad and US Passport

47 posts in this topic

Hi! We're expecting a baby in Sept and I'm trying to get all the paperwork to do the official Report of a Birth Abroad and get the child a US passport. (I'm American, husband is German).

Mostly it seems pretty straightforward but the Evidence of Physical Presence part seems awfully vague. I understand you need to show you spent a minimum of 5 years in the US, 2 of which you were older than 14. But how much materials do you need to bring in? I have old high school, college and grad school transcripts, an old passport, and a few years of old tax forms. I called the Consulate to see if that was enough and she said "Bring everything you can get!" I lived in the US pretty much continuously until I was 33 so there's A LOT and I'm not sure if I'm driving myself nuts collecting things unnecessarily or if you really do need to bring in piles of evidence?

Also, if there are any other tips that people have to making the whole process go more smoothly or problems they encountered I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much for your help!

I didn't have to provide any evidence of physical presence when I applied for my son's documents - just my passport, my (German) wife's passport, and the international birth certificate I got from the Standesamt.

I took a copy of my university transcript, plus my passport at the time.

When our second child was born, I showed them my son's certificate of birth abroad. I had the above transcript with me again, as well as my old passport and my current one-- but they said that just that CBA was proof enough-- that I had given them other documentation before so it was clear we met the requirements.

Once you get the CRBA, though, check it carefully. They printed the wrong date on my daughter's CRBA and and we have gone through all kinds of hassles in order to get it fixed...

Yeah I also had asked the consulate about that, and just bring something that shows you were in the states for at least 5 years HS transcripts and University transcripts will do. I just plan on bringing my HS transcripts and University Transcripts, a few speeding tickets that I got over the years lol. You could probably bring your old paycheck stubs also 1 for each year, just make sure its the last one of each year so they can see that you did actually work there the whole year.

Thanks medic82, okay, sounds like I'll just bring in what I have already and stop worrying about collecting documents. Whew!

I have to do the same thing this week or next- to report a birth. I do not have my HS transcripts. I wonder if secondary evidence is enough? I have my tax returns. Otherwise I will have to order transcripts and I don't kmow how fast or slow it will be. Anyone else not bring transcripts? Thx!

How about bringing copies of your 1040 forms for the years you were in the US?

Just as a side note -- my schools got the transcripts to me very quickly -- I was surprised but most arrived within a week of my request. It might be worth trying.

I think the need to document physical presence only applies if you yourself were not born in the US, but received US citizenship via a parent -- I only needed to bring my US birth certificate when I registered my children..but maybe that was the case here?

I recently tried to report birth, get passport and SS number for my daughter with 1040s and it did not work. Simply put, you could be paying taxes while not living in the US. They specifically wanted my transcripts...from 20+ years ago.

Thank you all. Looks like I will request my transcripts in case. I hope there is not a time limit to report the birth. We are 4 weeks since the birth date now, and my partner has to declare his fathership (he's European but not German, we're not married) which we are doing this week. Lots of details!

As a follow-up, we were at the consulate this week and all they requested was the transcripts...didn't even look at the other stuff.

Did it have to be a formal/ certified transcript, or is informal fine (printed off)?

It's been 2 years since I did the Report of Birth Abroad, and I did it in Berlin. You lefties probably don't do it in Berlin, so perhaps Frankfurt or wherever is stricter, and perhaps things have gotten stricter in past 2 years... I think I presented my own U.S. birth certificate, and certainly my passport, but otherwise I just had a piece of paper that listed out when I was present in the U.S. and when I wasn't (check your old passports, and memory) and that was it. Good luck. And congratulations!

I also found it amusing that though there was a big fuss about bringing the subject child to the consulate, I never actually had to make a written or verbal statement that the child that was with me was the subject child.

The rules have probably changed not only must the baby be there but also both parents.

And you have to have proof of physical residence.

Sideofranch- were they sent directly to the embassy? Or sent to you and you brought them?