Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Embroidery, Cross stitch, Needlepoint

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I have been a long-time lurker and am posting my first post. I visit the Frankfurt/Darmstadt area several times per year to visit family. My wife cannot travel with me due to her disabilities and I thought it would be nice to bring her back some needlework kits and supplies. Can anyone please recommend any needlepoint, cross stitch and embroidery shops in the area? Thanks everyone for your help

These items can be found in Karstadt where they sell material, but also in some of the smaller stores around the Zeil area.

Go down the street next to Karstadt to Idea, they have tons of stuff. Or if you walk down Neue Kräme to the Römer, take a left on Töngesgasse next to the Liebfrauen church. There is a store almost on the corner there that has all kinds of sewing stuff. If you continue walking up this street, you run into Hasengasse. There is another store on this corner that mainly sells wool, but they might have thread and needlepoint items also.

elpasatom, how thoughtful.

I am a needleworker as well, and though I would have thought Germany would have a lot of nice patterns, fabrics, and supplies, I actually found that the States really has Germany beat for that kind of stuff. I used to order supplies from Nordic Needle in Fargo to be shipped to me in Munich (or to my mom's house so I could bring it back into Germany with me.)

That said, I did find some unique-to-Germany designs, like maypoles and these large fabric bows that can be embroidered, then made up and hung on a door, in Munich.

There is also a type of whitework embroidery called Schwalm (aka Hessenstickerei) that comes from the region of Germany that includes Frankfurt. Your wife might be interested in exploring that. In case you can't find Schwalm kits where you're looking, you could order from the Schwalm Museum website and have it sent to your relatives in Frankfurt, to take back to your wife.

I use a site out of England that has an enormous selection for all types of handwork. They have kits, patterns, fabric, threads and just about anything you could ask for. The shipping is reasonable and very quick. I've ordered from them many, many times.

Sewandso.co.uk

A few of the small shops in D'dorf that used to have such supplies have closed down in the last couple of decades. This is sad, but whenever people see my needlework they say "Oh, I don't have the patience/time". Maybe people's attention spans really have shortened? Dunno.

Anyway, I second Karstadt. I'm there nearly every week checking out what they have.

I recently used this site:

http://www.sticken-und-stricken.de/start.php?cond.php

to order a nice pack from Lanarte - a design of blue flowers in a vase by a Dutch designer. A present I made for someone else.

True, they only deliver within Germany, but you could tell your family in Germany what you like and get them to pay for it via bank transfer and you can pay them back and pick the stuff up when you visit them.

I've only used them once but they seem nice people. Once the payment went through, the goods came quickly.

As others have said, the range and availability of embroidery materials is much less than in America, and the cost is quite a bit higher as well. When I embroider out of the house, (when at the playground with my toddler, for example) I also get a lot of comments from people about how they don't see else anyone doing embroidery, and that the last time they saw it being done was thirty years ago, or not since their granny died, or some such.

Nonetheless, there is some stuff available here. if you do visit Idee, as suggested above, you might want to look out for thread from Vaupel & Heilenbeck, as a product which is not so easily available outside Germany. It's matte, single-stranded cotton thread. I've seen it in Idee (in Berlin, though), and not in Karstadt.

If your wife likes doing counted cross-stitch, rather than a kit, she might like this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkskunst-Kreuzstich-Werkbuch-Steirisches-Heimatwerk/dp/3702004211