Accepting a Deutsche Post parcel for a neighbour

35 posts in this topic

Accepted a parcel for a neighbour who is a little old lady. Shes Japanese (just mentioning this in case I'm missing some cultural thing here) and is away a lot.

Anyhow, about a week ago the postman asks me if I would take it. I say sure seeing as its flowers and they seem to be from her daughter. I rang the bell a few times and also checked if garbage was in the can just in case shes on vacation and also the overflowing mailbox.

So I thought thats to bad because by the time she gets back those flowers are gonna be dead. On the second day I see her pass me in her merc. WTF? The mailman always drops a card in the other persons box so they know where the package is but she doesn't react.

So I ring a few times more, chat with my next door neighbour who tells me he no longer accepts anything for her because each time it's such a hassle.

Question is: Can I toss the stuff or hand it back to the Postman or possibly just put it on her doorstep?

(Last time I'm gonna accept anything for her) :angry:

It's entirely possible that the mailman forgot to leave the note or that the lady overlooked it somehow.

If it isn't too much trouble, you could drop a note of your own (in English and German) in her mailbox.

Maybe stick a note through her door yourself saying I've got your flowers here they're gonna be dead soon.

I'd just leave it on the doorstep if it's a secured building. Where I live, I can see directly down to the front door and can see if it's a post person. Because my building is secure (and all the doors can't be seen from the street) I will take a package and then leave it for my neighbors. It saves them a trip up/down the stairs.

Otherwise, I've had them do similar for me - which is great because I've found that often the lovely blue card gets mixed in the shuffle of werbung and newspapers I get on a daily basis... :blink: But then again - I think that the post person takes a special pleasure in stuffing them in between the pages of the newspaper...along with my letters, cards, and etc.

We have a small company in the ground floor of our building which accepts packages for half the house regularly. Very nice of them,the only problem is, they only work between 09.00am and 13.00, a time where both my partner and I are working likewise. So they very kindly started putting the packages in front of our door.

I would put the flowers in front of the Lady's door, provided it is inside a building. Perhaps she just doesn't like opening her door to people she doesn't know?

Is she still alive? You never know

On the second day I see her pass me in her merc.

My opinion of Merc drivers is not particularly high - but dead?

I take parcels for neighobours all the time.

Once I took a huge thing, and the neighbour did'n show up. After a few days I met her on the stairs and told her I had this huge thing for her...that i thought she was on vacation. She immediately collected it, apologizing. The mailman didn't write anything to her!!!

The next day she brought me some flowers...

Try to contact the japanese lady, may-be she wasn't noticed...otherwise i think she would have collected the flowers.

Friends of ours once accepted a parcel a few weeks before they moved. The neighbour never answered the bell and in the end they left it on the doorstep the day they moved. They also left a note in his postbox. They got sued for "Verletzung des Postgeheimnisses" among other things as the parcel had disappeared (or the neightbour at least claimed it had disappeared).

Conclusion: Maybe you should get a nice urn for the dead flowers as you can't legally throw them away of leave them on the doorstep.

We don't always get notes, but I am at least for now home during the day. Our neighbor sometimes gets our packages...we prefer they don't as they packages then will reek like smoke and garbage. We also normally always know what is coming. I saw leave her a bunch of notes, just in case she misses the first 10. On the door in the mailbox etc...

It can be a curse. We are on the first floor and the first bell on the wall outside, so we take in parcels almost every day for people. I've never had someone take more than a couple of days to collect anything, but I definitely think you can stick flowers on a doorstep along with a note through the letter box.

They got sued for "Verletzung des Postgeheimnisses" among other things as the parcel had disappeared

That would mean that the recipient was accusing his neighbours of stealing or tampering with the parcel, not for putting it on their doorstep.

I don't know how the story ended, so it couldn't have been that bad. It seems that the neighbour never got the parcel, he held our friends responsible for it and instead of just presenting a bill he overreacted and thought that "Verletzung des Postgeheimnisses" would make an impression (up to 5 years in jail for that one).

Still I would never leave a parcel on a doorstep after that story.

The contents of the parcel are not relevant. In the cold light of day and the law, the fact is that you have accepted responsibility for the care of someone else's property. This transfer of care has been almost certainly documented by the parcel delivery company (and you could have refused it). Loss or damage to the parcel due to your carelessness (for example leaving it on the step whereupon it is stolen) could get you into deep water. You should take all reasonable steps to care for her property, let know where her property is, and when she can pick it up at a mutually convenient time, possibly even setting a deadline for collection. All that means is a note on her door or in her mailbox (with a witness to show you have left one). So long as you do that you have done pretty much all you could do (reasonably). If she doesn't collect it, or the flowers die it is not your problem. If you have taken these steps, then after a reasonable time (3 months is the accepted norm, but things might be a bit smelly by then!), you can dispose of the goods or claim ownership yourself. Alternatively you can return the parcel to the sender (but again make sure this is documented)

I met her on the stairs and told her I had this huge thing for her...She immediately collected it, apologizing. The next day she brought me some flowers...

Had to chuckle reading that.