Does desperate advertising ever work?

32 votes

1. 1. Do you buy what you see advertised?

• Yes, and I'm naturally drawn to shiny things and thrown sticks too
    • Yes, but only if the advert is funny or has birds in it
    • Yes, but only if further scientific research proves the product to be of high quality
    • Yes, sometimes but I hate to admit it.
    • No, I make my mind up at random in the shops
    • No, I read, plan, research then buy.
    • No, and I actively boycot products with inane adverts, and sometimes throw the remote at the TV too
    • I'm confused and just want to click somewhere

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

In exactly a week we'll all be thinking of ways to creep out of work early and install ourselves in a bar somewhere to consume the results of product placement and watch hours of advertising, punctuated with some football. The advertisers know this and everywhere is full of increasingly desperate attempts to link everything from a beer to a bank to the football, so obviously it must work, right? After all even spam emails advertising penis enlargements, enhancements and other nonsense also work too.

I can't remember anything I bought after seeing it advertised on the TV, especially not when the plot was as daft as someone on the TV kicks a football through the bank's window, goes in to say sorry, comes out with a mortgage, investments, a credit card, and guaranteed unsolicited marketing phone calls for life. Or does anyone buy a car because a target-group bloke in a Germany shirt is punching the air next to it? Seems like a lot of tosh to me.

So 'fess up, did you ever get convinced by an advert and what was it?

I have bought Langnese ice cream because of an ad showing people eating ice cream enjoying an African sunset with a giraffe wandering by. We normally buy Mövenpick.

Half the battle is name recognition. If you don't know the name and don't know the product exists, you're much less likely to buy it. But if you are shopping around for something and have at least heard of the product or manufacturer then you're more likely to check them out, find some reviews, and see if it meets your requirements.

(I badly disappointed my sis-in-law when she showed me her new TV and boasted that it's from some manufacturer I'd never heard of. Seems that it is a premium and very expensive German brand whose name I've already forgotten. It didn't look very impressive, and my shrugging of shoulders almost put her in tears since she had been so happy about it. Guess it is some sort of status symbol in her eyes while to me it was just another unknown brand TV that seemed ok but nothing special for such a high price.)

basically i agree that I cant believe it works enough to plough so much money into it

but I will 'fess up that during euro 2004, after a disappointing defeat, I whipped out for some McDonalds after I saw the advert....

Yes, I have bought products because of the advertisement, however, if the procuct doesn't work out the way I expect it to, I don't buy it again - simple.

Ok, drunken food fair enough but they'd have to make a lot more effort to persuade me that I want to drink a Bitburger or a Krombacher on my route to that state.

I'm a sucker for a deep discount. Sometimes I'll even spend more than I would have for an equivalent item at the regular price. Sometimes I'll even buy something I don't need. But it generally has to have at least some intrinsic worth; I try not to by crap.

If it's a product or service advertised through mailshots or somebody shoving unwanted Werbung in my mailbox, then there's absolutely no way I'm going to buy it.

On principle, I don't buy the products or services from anyone using the word "Solutions". A while ago in the UK, Tesco supermarkets even had an "Indian Meal Solutions" section. Honestly, I don't have an Indian Meal Problem.

I have to admit that sports advertising does work on me.

There's two campaigns at the moment that I especially love - I'm a pretty loyal Nike customer as their stuff fits me well and I can identify with their style. So I loved, loved, loved the Rock Victorious campaign. And I've just watched the Prepare For Victory one, it's really inspiring.

They aren't dolly birds, they are athletes. With sweat and muscles and all that goes with it.

Yes I prefer the Nike Womens' ads to the men's, but even the new football one got a laugh from me. Especially Wayne Rooney as a pikey.

But then again, I buy Nike and will continue to do so.

I also love the latest Asics ad.

It's just beautiful. And it touches on exactly why so many pull on trainers in the first place.

But I know I'm not the only target market.

Back when I worked for a certain sports apparel company, the marketing break-down was as follows:

sportspeople < people who like sports < people who like the look of sports

So from Ronaldo to the guy on the sofa watching the match to his mate in the supermarket in tracky dax, there is a flow-through.

Sadly it also means that it is getting harder in the UK to find sports gear actually meant for playing sport in :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3000607/David-Beckham-stars-in-new-Adidas-advert-set-in-Star-Wars-bar-scene-alongside-Noel-Gallagher-and-Snoop-Dog.html

That's pretty fun though. Han Solo makes me happy.

I'd buy this for my wife if I could find it. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_OVyHvxOSI

Ads don´t work well on me. I can never remember names of products UNLESS the ad is really funny...and that´s rare

The level of self delusion in the poll (and on this board) is interesting.

Apparently ~90% of people also think they're above average drivers as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

In exactly a week we'll all be thinking of ways to creep out of work early and install ourselves in a bar somewhere to consume the results of product placement and watch hours of advertising, punctuated with some football.

Define "all".

I, for one, am sick of the World Cup already, and it hasn't even started properly yet.