How to obtain a US birth certificate for a newborn

44 posts in this topic

My husband and I are both American citizens. We are about to have child #2 in a few weeks (child #1 being born in the US). However, I am feeling a little overwhelmed at obtaining a US birth certificate. I found this site from the Embassy but it is a little difficult to understand. Is there anything special I need to do before leaving the hospital? Any extra stamps to get? :)

Someone told me I need to make sure to get an International Birth certificate at the hospital but so far have been unable to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Just go to your states "Department of Vital Statistics" office and they will do the rest. It will cost you a few bucks but save a big headache. Simply google the above and you should get the address and phone number as well as a link to email them.

You don't need to do anything at the hospital. When you go to the Standesamt to register the birth, that's when you request the international birth certificate. Once you have this document and your passports, you go to Consular Services on Clayallee and apply for a consular report of birth abroad. You can apply for the baby's passport and SSN at the same time. They have a passport photo machine in the office and they don't care if the baby's eyes are closed in the passport photo (at least they didn't 3 years ago when we had my son's made).

The consular report of birth abroad is the equivalent of the baby's U.S. birth certificate (which s/he will not get, because s/he will not have been born in the U.S.).

It's a very simple process, so don't worry too much about it.

The clinic where my daughter was born in Munich gave us a folder after the birth with all the instructions we needed to make sure she was registered properly in Germany and in the US.

El Jeffo's information is abolutely accurate. You don't get a US birth certificate unless the child is born in the US.

maybe for "international birth cert" they meant to get the internationalised version of the german birth cert (from your local city office) that has the info written in german english and french rather than german only.

It'll save on translations down the line if you leave germany at some stage.

Clevername, All the best for the impending birth!

Don't be overwhelmed, it's really easy-peasy.

If you follow the link you gave above, it leads you to this Checklist for obtaining a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad. Just go down the list and tick off each item as you collect it. There it says that what is needed is the Child’s German Birth Certificate – “Eintrag aus dem Geburtenregister” This is the German Birth Certificate, issued by local authorities. This document must show the biological parents’ names. Short form birth certificates, which do not indicate parentage, are not acceptable. As others have said, this is obtained from your local Standesamt. The hospital will automatically report the birth to the Standesamt but you will have to deliver the complete paperwork there yourself as well. The hospital will give you all the official paperwork (stamped or whatever) you need from them within the first 24 hours of the actual birth; you don't need to ask as it is standard procedure for them to bring it to your bedside.

Then, when you go to the Standesamt with the paperwork (ASAP in the first few days after the birth; normally dad goes while mom and baby are still in hospital), simply tell them you need an official copy of the "Eintrag aus dem Geburtenregister" for your new child. There may be a small charge for the copy, which they will send you by post or else ask you to come pick up at a later date. Like Equitius said, you might as well order a few copies of the international birth cert, too, while you're there - you may need them for any number of purposes and it saves on having to re-order them.

GL

Do people ever use the search function? I don't even know how many times this question has already been answered on other topics.

Thank you everyone for your help! For future reference for anyone reading the thread, here is how it went. After the birth, we took our birth certificates (no translations needed) and some paperwork our midwife gave us to the Standesamt. 10 days later, the German birth certificate and the International birth certificates were ready. They also gave us 3 Bescheinigungs for Kindergeld etc..

After that, we made an appt to get his American "Consular Report of Birth Abroad," passport and SSN. (Note: you have to make an appt online now) We filled out all of the paperwork beforehand. We took his picture at the Embassy. His eyes were closed and his head slightly turned but they accepted it. The Embassy told us that processing all paperwork is only taking 2 weeks. Since we are both American citizens, they didn't even ask us for proof of residency in the US.

Good Luck to anyone else doing this and I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for us.

Those people at the Clayallee consulate are funny. The German guy and the younger woman(at the last window you visit) had a good laugh at my son's passport photos. Nice people and nice visit overall. Even the Berlin cop(s) outside the consulate were VERY helpful.

May I ask what you ended up paying in total fees at the embassy?

We missed the deadline by only a few days so we had to pay the higher fee schedule but everything together was $205. They had an exchange rate sheet in front of them for paying in Euros.

The German guy and the younger woman(at the last window you visit) had a good laugh at my son's passport photos.

Yeah, this is my son's current (U.S.) passport photo (with my hands):

post-47703-1280822332618.jpg

The Germans, on the other hand, demanded open eyes, no parental fingers, and all the other biometric requirements for his German passport photo. Silly, paragraph-riding Germans...

The deadline when the price went up? Or do you have a time limit?

I have to do this in January. So sounds like you did the certificate of birth abroad and then passport.

You do it all at once, Serenajean1: certificate of birth abroad, passport, and SSN. The deadline was when the new fee schedule came into effect.

The deadline when the price went up? Or do you have a time limit?I have to do this in January. So sounds like you did the certificate of birth abroad and then passport.

The fees for many US consular services went up on July 13. The updated fees are now listed on the embassy website: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/passport_payment.html

@serenajean1 - El Jeffo is right. You do it all at once. I was talking about the fees increase. I don't know about any deadlines for applying but I would guess that you have quite awhile.

Also, there is supposedly a deadline for applying for the German birth certificate (within 7 days) but we went in to apply after 2 weeks since we had to get our US birth certificates sent from the US. We were far from being the latest ones there.

@El Jeffo - That pic is classic!!!

Is there any time limit on when to report a birth abroad? I find no reference on the consular website.

We've had a long 14 months: my wife was hospitalized twice, her father twice and her mother went completely bonkers.

Thanks

Hey,

My wife and I will be going down to munich soon to report the birth of our daughter, and apply for her passport, SSN , and register her birth abroad. The fees should total about $205 or something in the region. I have everything on the checklist that I printed, I have filled out the app for a passport, but there are some silly parts that just cant be answered for a child. for example, I cannot put the SSN because she does not have one yet, I cannot really put eye color because it most likely will change as she is a newborn, and right now she has greenish blue eyes. Are they going to accept a partially filled in App, or will they be strict and want all details.

Also for my proof of physical presence om the US, I Have my official college transcripts, and I plan on also subitting my HS Transcripts. the issue is that My HS transcripts are being faxed to me, and they have scanned them and emailed them to me in PDF format. Does anyone have experience with wether they will accept this or not, Or do I need to pay the $50 UPS fee to have it sent overnight from the US?

Lastly, for those who have recntly went through this, is there anything else that I might have forgotten that I should try and bring with me. Everything that is on the checklist from the Consulate site I have with me. Though you never know, I might get there and they start asking for other stuff.

Obviously you cannot put in a SSN. You put in the eye color as it is now.

They deal with babies all the time, when she gets a number it will be added to the app.

As for the proof of physical residents. I am not sure if they require certified copies or not. But take what you have and if they request the other, they will allow you to mail it in a few days or week later no problem. I am taking origionals its always the best option, but not an emergency to over night anything, worse case you would just mail it in.

If you have everything on this list then you are fine. Make sure both parents are there, and it should be quick, easy, and painless, you are not an immigrant going through the interview process, its just paperwork.

But do note, your daughter will never have a US birth certificate, she will only have a certificate of birth abroad, it serves the same function.