Useful Android applications

179 posts in this topic

Recently got myself an HTC desire, an amazing phone and far snappier than my old Samsung Galaxy, certainly gives the iPhone a run for its money.

I was wondering what apps (or widgets) all the TT android crowd are using regularly?

(should mention this doesn't include the standard android apps we all know and love like maps, mail etc. I mean apps from the market)

I'll start (regular use apps in bold):

Advanced Task Killers

Air Control

Aloqa

Barcode Scanner

Barrage Lite

Berlin City

Bonsai Blast

Calculator

Checkers

Chess

Classic Simon

Compass

ConnectBot

Currency Converter

Dropbox

ES File Explorer

Facebook

FxCamera

GODroid

Google Goggles

Google Sky Map

Google Translate

GPS Status

Jewels

Labyrith Lite

Layar

Leo

Line-rider

LineUp

Listen

MeteorLite

Google My Maps Editor

NetCounter

NetMeter

Places Directory

RingDroid

RunKeeper

Sand Blaster

Shazam

Solitaire

Traffic Jam

Trap!

Unit Converter

Are there any you use which I'm missing out on?

Oh and any word on a TT android application or thelocal.de app?

I use DB's Rail Navigator a lot. The Quickpedia interface to Wikipedia is great for settling drunken arguments, and FBReader is an e-book reader that hooks into the free library on FeedBooks.

Thanks for the list. I jut got my Desire at the weekend, and so far I've only put Opera, Fring and SIPdroid on (although not set up and tested the latter 2 yet), but I was going to post something asking what people used, so you beat me to it.

I came across a couple of "top x android apps" articles online:

PC Pro's 36 best Android apps

The Register's 10 essential Android apps

An interesting one from the PC Pro list if you're worried about your phone being stolen is Wavesecure:

15. WAVESECURE (Free) WaveSecure was one of the overall winners at last year’s Android Developer Challenge thanks to its innovative range of smartphone security features. Should your handset be stolen and a new SIM inserted, for instance, the handset will be locked, your previously assigned “buddy” will receive a text alert, and the phone’s GPS can be used to track the stolen device.

You can access your backed-up data on WaveSecure’s website and even wipe your phone completely. Our only qualm was reduced battery life but, if security is a concern, that could be an inconsequential price to pay.

Advanced Task Killer is often blamed for poor battery performance, so take care. Perhaps it's just the widget that causes the issues?

QuickDic offline German-English dictionary

Barcode Scanner for pulling stuff off androlib.com

RMaps for hiking

Opera Mini which will store your bookmarks online

Ape Map (useful if you have the Kompass hiking maps)

Android LightSaber (useless but amusing)

Compass

Explorer file manager

gStrings guitar (and other instruments) tuning

GPS Status

Google Listen (podcast player)

Munich Transit Map

WeatherBug

@MunichMag & others: had my desire for a couple of weeks, I have noticed that a few times my 3g "H" connection stalls and I can't get any data through it. I found a workaround which involves adding the HTC Mobile Network widget (add widget -> settings -> Mobile Network), then if you ever have the same problem when using maps etc. and no data is coming down just tap to disable the mobile data connection, wait 15-20 seconds, tap again and it should work.

Had the same problem with my Samsung galaxy so I think maybe it's a 2g/3g thing but would be interested to hear if you experience the same kind of issue.

Ok can anyone tell me should I root my new Desire or not and why? Pros/cons?

@meckle: I think if you're asking then you probably shouldn't. Rooting a phone will pretty much void the warranty and you might end up bricking it (none of these tutorials are supported in any way).

Unless you really want to run another OS on it and hack around with it then it's generally a bad idea.

iPhone people have much more of a reason to root their phones as it's then allows them to unsigned applications not just applications apple approves through it's [cr]app store.

Hope that helps.

Not really.

I wanted to know what the advantages are - will it run faster, battery last longer etc???

And what the pitfalls might be. I already knew about the warranty stuff. Not concerned.

Well if you google it you'll find out..

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-desire/desire-guides/474135/how_to_root_the_htc_desire.html

You'll get access to update the firmware, the core filesystem, in theory can run pretty much anything you want to on the phone (whether something useful actually exists to put on the phone is another thing entirely), but you would need to check if the process is reversible.

As I said before if you can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes googling yourself then it's not a good idea to do it; the people who root their [android] phones are people who like to 'look behind the curtain' and would be classed as 'hackers' because they figure out this stuff for themselves and know full well the risks of doing such things with their shiny new HTC phone.

Plus if you go figure it out for yourself you've only got yourself to blame if/when you're phone won't boot at all.

will it run faster, battery last longer etc ???

No and no. That's not what 'root'ing a phone is about. Think of 'root'ing a phone as re-purposing rather than a performance improving exercise.

If you are for whatever reason interested in performance increases for the phone then keep your ears to the ground for HTC firmware updates as that's where you get improved battery life/stability issue fixes.. and they're official/supported.

Are you quite finished patronising me?

I did google it. All I got were year old articles by journalists who made vague claims (such as it running faster and having better battery life.)

I asked because I wanted to discuss the pros and cons, not read some article. This is a discussion forum isn't it? Wait yeah oh yes it says that on top of my screen all right.

Maybe I should include a picture if you don't believe me:

post-376-12748062284666_thumb.jpg

Now do you have anything more helpful to say, or is it just patronising smaryness from here on in, brainiac??

I'm not patronising you, I'm giving you solid advice, heed the warning and if you want to find out more about rooting an android phone then I'm sure there are many posts on it here (I know there are for the Galaxy, not sure about the desire): http://androidforums.com/ It's a much more relevant forum as you'll only be asking questions that have been asked before.

I phrased my posts this way because it's to the point and stresses how dangerous of a process it can be. It sounded like you've the wrong end of the stick and I didn't want to see you fuck your expensive phone up because you've misunderstood.

I did google it. All I got were year old articles by journalists who made vague claims (such as it running faster and having better battery life.)

Google 'htc desire root' ... *ta-da*

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=htc+desire+root&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=12efafbbf0c1fa4a

Apologies for being so helpful. <_<

@MunichMag & others: had my desire for a couple of weeks, I have noticed that a few times my 3g "H" connection stalls and I can't get any data through it. I found a workaround which involves adding the HTC Mobile Network widget (add widget -> settings -> Mobile Network), then if you ever have the same problem when using maps etc. and no data is coming down just tap to disable the mobile data connection, wait 15-20 seconds, tap again and it should work.

Had the same problem with my Samsung galaxy so I think maybe it's a 2g/3g thing but would be interested to hear if you experience the same kind of issue.

Had loads of problems when i first set it up on Sunday evening, not least because the APN details that the phone got from the tchibo sim card were the generic o2 APN details, and not the tchibo specific ones. Took a while before i got around to thinking the problem might be there, but then quite quick (thanks to google) to find out this was the problem and get the correct details and get it working.

I'd already put the mobile network and wifi widgets on the home screen so i could turn the on and off easily to save battery, so i having got it working i turned it off, and the wifi back on. Monday morning, i went out, and turned the wifi off and the wireless back on, and didn't get a data connection of any kind. Turned wireless off then on again, but still no data. I had to turn the phone off then on again to get the wireless connection, but since then it's been fine - i can turn it off and on again and the 'H' is there. I was even pleasantly surprised to see the H on the u-bahn on the way to work.

Any, back on topic, I've downloaded a bunch of apps to play with, so will have to see they are.

Edit: having spent €500 on the phone and being very happy with it, there's no way i'd risk rooting it.

I have the same problem with the data connection going away after turning wifi on and off. Rather than turning the phone off, you can just toggle airplane mode on and off and the data connection will come back. Hopefully that'll be fixed with the Android 2.2 release.

Having said last night that the wireless connection was working fine, I turned wifi off and wireless back on on the way to work this morning, and...nothing. Had to turn the phone off and on again. Thanks for the airplane mode tip. Will try that next time.

According to Techradar, the official word from HTC is that they will release 2.2 for the Desire as soon as possible, likely the 2nd half of this year, although no specific date mentioned, although there is a rumour doing the rounds on the web that it will be June 23rd (google).

Thanks for the list. I jut got my Desire at the weekend, and so far I've only put Opera, Fring and SIPdroid on (although not set up and tested the latter 2 yet), but I was going to post something asking what people used, so you beat me to it.

I came across a couple of "top x android apps" articles online:

PC Pro's 36 best Android apps

The Register's 10 essential Android apps

An interesting one from the PC Pro list if you're worried about your phone being stolen is Wavesecure:

I just uninstalled WaveSecure today. I couldn't believe how easy it was to get around the "security", as it ended up crashing, so all I had to do was force close the program. If someone steals your phone, I don't think this is going to help at all

Ok can anyone tell me should I root my new Desire or not and why? Pros/cons?

No, because if you don't know why you're doing it, you shouldn't.

My top pics

Dolphin Browser HD

LauncherPro

Öffi Directions

Astrid Tasks

3Banana Quicknote

Last.fm

Mapdroyd

Nimbuzz

QuickDic