Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

American Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer

5 posts in this topic



I have been searching this forum and found very scarce info on the KitchenAid Mixer dilemma. My mum bought me a mixer from Ebay, but its from America, it 350 watts, 120 volts and 60hz. I am going to try and use it here, but can anyone please tell me what transformer do I need? And where can I buy them from here in Germany. Will Saturn have them?


Please no comments about how this may have been posted before, Like I said i've searched and nothing much has come up, also now my baby is crying so im typing with one hand!!


Thank you everyone in advanced for any help/info


really appreciated!




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my convertors from travel shops in the US. But I am not sure if the small kind like I have would work with a big kitchen appliance.


Normally stores here would not carry them, unless targeting travelers as normal germans are not buying these.


Look i specialty travel shops. But your best bet may be to contact kitchenaid and ask them what kind of converter or transformer you would need.

Then seek it out online.


Best of luck.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

you'll need a transformer that is rated above 350 watts. like this one. ;)


Technische Daten

Ausgangsspannung 115/125/230/240 V/AC

Eingangsspannung 230/240/115/125 V/AC

Typ AT-400 NV

Gewicht 3.5 kg

Leistung 400 W


If you don't want to order online, here's the address and phone info for Conrad in Köln:



Horbellerstr. 2-4,

50858 Köln



0180 5 564445

(14 Cent/Min. aus dem Festnetz, maximal 42 Cent/Min. aus dem Mobilfunknetz)


hope that helps.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be of interest to you:



Over the years, a number of people have asked if it was possible to bring a KitchenAid mixer from the United States to Europe, and use it here. I certainly couldn't live without my 5-quart mixer, and since they're less-expensive in America than they are abroad (because of the electrical modifications and shipping), many folks, naturally, want to know if they can bring their mixer with them.

Several readers kindly chimed in with comments and suggestions (thanks, Sunny!), noting that theirs worked fine with a voltage transformer.


And I have friends who've had their kitchens in Europe wired for 110V as well as the standard 220V. But I thought I'd ask the folks at KitchenAid what their policy was and I posed a few questions to them, which they kindly responded to. I've paraphrased their responses, in italics, for clarity.


Q: Will the US-model KitchenAid mixer work in Europe?

A: Yes, they will work. But we do not recommend it. US units are 110V, Europe runs on 220V. This will slow down the unit causing it to overheat.


Q: Is it possible to use a converter or transformer?

A: That is possible as well, and again, we don't recommend it.


Q: If I take my mixer out of the country, is the warranty still valid?

A: If you take the unit out of the United States, it does void the warranty.


Q: Are there any other hazards to using a US-model KitchenAid abroad?

A: Hazards include: overheating, possible property damage, and personal injury.

The bottom line is we don't recommend use of the units outside the US...due to the hazards that could arise.

Not an expert on this stuff but could frequency (50 Hz vs 60 Hz) also be a problem? Maybe someone else can chip in.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, i think Kitchen-Aid would really just like to sell more mixers. ;) the difference between 50 and 60 hz would only possibly cause the motor not to spin quite as fast...this from the link you provided:


"By Ellise Pierce on June 28, 2009 8:25 AM


I brought my KitchenAid mixer with me to Paris (it's also an up-and-down one and almost 20 years old), and so far, after nearly 3 years of constant use, it works just fine. I bought an expensive transformer -- it's not in front of me, so I can't tell you the specs -- also, like Sunny, from a reputable source (think that it was, and if you call them, they're really helpful and can tell you what transformer you need for which appliances) and I've not had a problem. It's not a pretty thing to have on the kitchen counter -- it's a large metal box about half the size of a shoe box -- but it does the job. I also use this for my large and small Cuisinarts.


The alarm clock that I brought from the States, however, blew when I plugged it into the wall with a simple converter plug."


"By susi in the jungle on June 28, 2009 12:16 PM


i lived in germany for 6 years and brought all my us appliances and 2 big heavy transformers the beefy kind and never had and issues... with phones, cuisinart, kitchenaid,... and everything worked and survived. i couldnt have lived without."


with that type of transformer, you could actually plug in a US power strip and make it available to any other US-based appliances you might have. one other caveat though, i found a recommendation to have your transformer rated 40% higher than the total wattage you need it for (or maxxing at 60% of its rating), you'd want to get a transformer rated for at least 500 watts instead of 400.

here's the same transformer but rated at 1000w, which would give you some leeway to run a couple of other things should you choose to use a power strip:




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0