What made you laugh today?

18,610 posts in this topic

Just watched Alf Garnet in 'In Sikcness and in Health' :

Warning: This was made in 1985 so it's not suitable for snowflakes or those who cannot see it in the context it was made.

Brilliant, FrenchBean! I am old enough to remember the earlier Till Death Us Do Part! If someone was reasonably intelligent at that time, they realised it was the most anti-bigot series ever! Totally misunderstood and misinterpreted in modern times.

Superb dialogues and acting!

🙏🏻
When I think back to my youth, I was the epitome of the long-haired Scouse git later! ( Without being a Scouser!)😂

54 minutes ago, French bean said:

Just watched Alf Garnet in 'In Sikcness and in Health' :

Warning: This was made in 1985 so it's not suitable for snowflakes or those who cannot see it in the context it was made.

May I ask what prompted you to watch that ?

I think I watched a couple of episodes, just before it went off air ( just being too young )- just thought it was a comedy 

I don't know really, I was telling my daughter about how things were when I was growing up especially with the racism and bigotry that went on, I think that then led to showing her Garnet as the epitome of old attitudes and nastiness. People who don't know the series need to realise that the writers were taking the piss out of the racist arseholes through Garnet, they were not wanting to give credence to those views.

100 per cent correct, French bean🙏🏻.

Any reasonably aware person at the time knew that. And the actor was Jewish and was aware of neo-Nazi type thinking.

By the way, I remember him being in Australia and refusing to sing God Save the Queen at some event later in life. “ She doesn’t sing my songs, so I won’t sing hers!”

😂

Yes he was the opposite to Alf, Labour voting, educated, supporter of Tottenham as well as being Jewish

The problem is resolved! My Nicole trimmed my hair and beard yesterday! So my SmartPhone FaceID recognises me again!😂😂

91992142_693996718086824_584165242021137

One of many photos of people wearing costumes to take out the garbage. Notice that this woman has the aristocratic toe (2nd toe longer than great toe), used by almost all sculptors from the Greeks to today.

14 hours ago, katheliz said:

Notice that this woman has the aristocratic toe (2nd toe longer than great toe), used by almost all sculptors from the Greeks to today.

Of course, the toe is the first thing you notice, right?

28 minutes ago, Acton said:

Of course, the toe is the first thing you notice, right?

That's more polite than mentioning the cellulite...

Of course, you only noticed the smile and her eyes, didn't you?