What made you laugh today?

16,707 posts in this topic

Yeah I always encourage my students that if they do not know the correct word for something, to use words around it to get their point across, the only way they will learn is by making an attempt. I have never laughed at any of the things my students say. I think it could destroy their confidence in you.

Ok so what made me laugh today was reading this post about the Fridge for sale

@Chad - Is that the same woman from the country hip hop video? I actually saw a woman at the gym the other day with a thong bodysuit/unitard with tights and I think a sweatshirt (but I don't think she was trying to pull off the Jennifer Beal/Flashdance thing!). First reaction - horror and then a giggle, chuckle and full laugh!

Sadly...it's not the same woman :blink: . Haha I would crack up if I saw something like that!

Yeah I always encourage my students that if they do not know the correct word for something, to use words around it to get their point across, the only way they will learn is by making an attempt. I have never laughed at any of the things my students say. I think it could destroy their confidence in you.

Absolutely. Many years ago I went to the Caribbean on holiday with a German tour group. My German wasn't very good then and one day I was trying to explain that we had a lizard in our room. I didn't know the German word for lizard, they're not exactly common around here, so I described it as a snake with feet! (Schlange mit Füße). Everybody laughed at this, but knew exactly what I meant and then taught me the real word. (Eidechse)

Serena: made me laugh, too! Gave you a greenie but apparently someone had a different opinion...

I love the ingenuity of that question (wo ist Mama) and the 'snake with legs'.

I was in Hong Kong in 2004 and I was in some back street looking at a jade stand and I wanted to find a pendant for my Chinese horoscope sign (snake, what else?) and I couldn't find them with the rest. So I looked at the Chinese guy and waved my hand about in the air making the slithering motion of a snake and he showed me where they were hanging on the other side of the stand. Who needs words?

It's something that I try to practise with my students - the skill of paraphrasing or describing what you want. So often, people are reluctant to say anything if they don't know all the words. I think.. hell.. even I forget words in English sometimes. Which is why we have words like 'thingamjig', 'thingamabob' and 'the wotsit' and the like.

This from the favorite smells thread:

Melted butter (so long as you remember to take the pot off the cooker before it burns!)

Reason: It reminded me how (but more so why) I hate that smell. When one of my kids was little, he took a pound of butter from the fridge on one of the hottest days of summer and proceeded to cover the entire enclosed, sunlit, back porch as well as his body with it. To this day that smell makes me gag, but being reminded of it made me laugh.

"we see us later"

gets me every time. Not because of their ignorance, (Lord knows I am, with German) but merely because its so hilarious. How can you expect to see yourself later?

Oh I screw up equally with german. I told my dentist, when describing my dental routine that I cleaned by teeth with my breasts. Bruste, Burste...

Or that I wanted to go to kaufland to buy new breasts...

Gets me every time.

My husband also says we se us soon. I always thought it was sweet. He used to say hot for outrageous. This price is hot lol. Then I taught home some nice english phrases like,"It makes me want to touch myself". So e walks in sees a nice computer and replies it makes me want to touch myself, nice.

He was even told he used God damn and son of a bitch like a proper american, I was so proud :P

I also describe what I need with similar words, emergency car for ambulance, garden clothing hanger for laundry rack, lol. But people have always understood me and been super nice about it.

Just don't tell your mother in law on your wedding day that you are not wearing a "slip", damn Germans and their use of english sounding words with totally different connotations.

While we're on the topic of bad translations, the best I've seen lately was on the list of ingredients (in English) for a dessert in a local restaurant... mixed in there was "Anti-roll bar". It took me a minute to find "Stabilisator" in the original German.

The bus driver as we arrived at Bizplatz:

"Ladies and gentlemen, your pilot would like to thank you for this flight and informs you that we've reached our destination. You can now get off or buy me an ice cream!"

Had he time, I would have bought him an ice cream. It reminded me of NoBullJim at the chemists.

Lit up my day, that did!

saw some german wiggaz.

made me seriously LOL for a while.

The response by Inessa to UpQuark gave me a hearty chuckle.

Mother wants a yard for the children to play in, ...

In the future, please refer to me as either "the wife" or "my old lady" rather than "Mother". Thanks :-).

What made me laugh? A guy freshly on crutches saying that he would walk away from his relationship problem.

A very animated police officer who regaled me with many funny stories today, including how pitbulls are not the scary monsters that everyone thinks... his two are total wimps and are VERY afraid of his wife's killer cat. :lol:

A very animated police officer who regaled me with many funny stories today, including how pitbulls are not the scary monsters that everyone thinks... his two are total wimps and are VERY afraid of his wife's killer cat.

Nice one, mlovett! My cat is a wimp (bit like his mum :

ie me)!!