What made you laugh today?

20,563 posts in this topic

Wikipedia on Hanover:

In the district of Anderten is the European Cheese Centre, the only Cheese Experience Centre in Europe.

Quick everyone, off to Hanover!

@Chad8504

Sorry but that's just all wrong

Cowboy hip-hop

Bowl haircuts

Bad clothes, music and dancers

It didn't make me laugh but just say 'WTF?' many times and shake my head.

My husband used leo while trying to translate some medical terms and explain what the dr said. Well leo translated broad ligament (in german) into master tape (in english). So he came back to inform me I have an issue with my master tape. :lol:

Thanks Orla, I book marked it. I told him if my master tape is broke, I want to take it back and exchange it for some duct tape. Duct tape fixes everything :)

@Chad8504

Sorry but that's just all wrong

Cowboy hip-hop

Bowl haircuts

Bad clothes, music and dancers

It didn't make me laugh but just say 'WTF?' many times and shake my head.

:lol: When I first saw it I almost died laughing. The things she says, her bowl cut, the outfits, how the dancers are introduced...it's all just too much :lol:

Nobody scares me nearly as much as Mr. Simmons

My cousin used to make me do the videos with her when she babysat me, the trauma has never faded.

My husband used leo while trying to translate some medical terms and explain what the dr said. Well leo translated broad ligament (in german) into master tape (in english). So he came back to inform me I have an issue with my master tape.

Translation mistakes are the best. They always made teaching 1,000 times better for me. My two favorite translation/German mistakes from students were.

"Die Ventilatoren klatschen nach dem Konzert"

&

"Die Armee scheißt auf den Demonstranten" :o

:lol:

I was talking to a friend the other day, about how odd some old ladies look with their perky, breast implants, that it just looks so wrong and out of place. We are talking about 60-65 year old women with the breasts of a 20 year old. She started laughing and said her brother was a mortician, and that he said they look even more out of place when he gets to see them.

Thanks for the hip-hop country dancing., Chad. Will use those moves next time I go out. Hope I remember to use my shoulders for even more fun.

Nobody scares me nearly as much as Mr. Simmons

My cousin used to make me do the videos with her when she babysat me, the trauma has never faded.

They made us do Buns of Steel in Summer gym once. I think that scarred me emotionally and physically :ph34r: .

If you want to play some "bee ball" make sure you get your warm-up in beforehand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQOhztgdvsE

I have the sudden urge to cause that women grave bodily harm.

This is one part of the 80's I pray to god never makes a comeback.

@Chad - Is that the same woman from the country hip hop video? I actually saw a woman at the gym the other day with a thong bodysuit/unitard with tights and I think a sweatshirt (but I don't think she was trying to pull off the Jennifer Beal/Flashdance thing!). First reaction - horror and then a giggle, chuckle and full laugh!

"Nobody scares me nearly as much as Mr. Simmons

My cousin used to make me do the videos with her when she babysat me, the trauma has never faded."

:blink: :blink: :blink:

OMG.. is he for real?

I feel traumatised, too. Must go and lie down in a darkened room to recover...

Nina- He is the most well known fitness trainer in the US. He has 40 years worth of videos. And he always obnoxious in little short shorts. :unsure:

One of my English students, in a desperate attempt to correctly translate 'pommes', finally came up with 'stick potatoes' - I had to laugh.

that awesome. My husband has had tons of good ones, I really ought to write them down.

You should see the text I'm correcting now. All 225 pages of it.

It's a financial text. He has admitted to using the Prompt translation website.

Instead of slumps, he has used burglaries.

Instead of course of events, expiries.

Instead of receiver, insolvency governor

Instead of operative, surgical

This is one of today's doozies:

Prior experience in question are placed in eight of the company's equity ratio is to question seven is used as a control issue and to inquire about the general attitude of the subjects compared to alternative forms of financing

And to think people think that translating is just a bit of typing "and anyway, you've got programmes to do the work for you, don't you? You just put the text into the programme and press a button."

"One of my English students, in a desperate attempt to correctly translate 'pommes', finally came up with 'stick potatoes' - I had to laugh."

One might laugh.. but I think it's a brilliant description. I think that if you are lost for the right word and said this term, then the other person has a good chance of imagining what is meant.

You should have seen me in Spain. Lived there once. Needed matches for the gas in the kitchen. Looked up 'matches' in the dictionary, walked to the supermarket on the other side of the road and ended up having to mime striking a match. The assistant smiled and led me to what I wanted.