What made you laugh today?

22,481 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tor said:

last subpoena.jpg

Reminds me of the little couplet, 

'The golf links lie so near the mill that almost every day

The laboring children can look out and see the men at play.'

Knitted and crocheted tributes are just one of many ways people across England have found to honour the late Queen.

Queen Elizabeth II died at her Balmoral estate in Scotland on Thursday at the age of 96.

Since her death a number of postboxes across the country have been decked out with special woolly tops.

The Royal Mail said it appreciated "the creativity" but has asked people to ensure they do not prevent mail from being collected or posted.

Many of the toppers feature images of the late monarch, her beloved corgis and an array of crowns.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-62893596

About C3PO, will they have to replace all the mail boxes now? If I remember correctly, they are marked with ERII. Though it isn't really the royal mail anymore, is it?

I visited an ageing friend in our Cretan village today. I saw a dead snake being visited by wasps on the footpath!

First, I said hello to Pete and then he said " my cat was noisy in the night. Probably a mouse."

" Pete, there's a dead snake out there."

So I put it in a bag and got rid of it. 😂

On the other hand, I am also a father and felt sorry for the snake. He/she/it/ ( and some modern gender stuff ) also has/had relatives...

8 hours ago, Elljay said:

will they have to replace all the mail boxes now

According to the post-office website existing postboxes will stay the same. No announcement will be made regarding new ones until after the funeral.

In sunny Scunny there are still pillar boxes bearing the GR insignia.

Even in Ireland there are plenty of GR postboxes still doing their job over a century later without modification (apart from the colour).

https://images.app.goo.gl/ucQejeun7SXeAXJR9

Postboxes like these are time capsules. It would be sacrilege to grind off the monarch's initials and weld on new ones. Thank God that never became a custom. Probably only because welding didn't exist when George died!

Not much can go wrong with a post box. Few moving parts, no electronics, metal designed to handle the elements (even Irish weather)

That postbox in the picture looks like it could last another 1000 years, certainly until post is no longer a concept.