this is what I did today,

the sheet thing

living room and kitchen.

however I reached the 30° mark.

Maybe - if I manage to move my arse

I'll ride to a lake tomorrow.

Teufelssee?

It's summer so what?

I found that I can keep my place cooler if I close the windows, shutters and everything else early morning and don't open again until late at night.  Even then, if it's still uncomfortably hot, I sit in front of the fan.  If I need a bit more cooling I might wet a dishtowel and keep it at the back of my neck.  Putting cold water in the tub to cool your feet is good too.

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

I found that I can keep my place cooler if I close the windows, shutters and everything else early morning and don't open again until late at night.  Even then, if it's still uncomfortably hot, I sit in front of the fan.  If I need a bit more cooling I might wet a dishtowel and keep it at the back of my neck.  Putting cold water in the tub to cool your feet is good too.

Yes doing this is very helpful. I bought a towel set recently (reminded by towel day) that came with 4 flannels but was still cheaper than just buying the towels alone. I thought 'when am I gever going to need 4 flannels?' but now, haha, I use them all - dampen them and put one on my head or wherever and it has helped loads in this heat :)

In Ireland, when the sun comes out, everything is opened up to let the sunshine in, so when I came to Germany first, I couldn't understand why they closed everything down, I learned fairly quickly why.  I get up early in the mornings, between 5 and 6, and everything is open wide, then around 7, when the sun starts to appear over the Spessart mountains in the distance, I close everything down.  I also have flannels and they're really helpful in this weather.

Here in the Frankfurt area, we're expecting storms tonight and cooler temperatures from tomorrow.  I've enjoyed this blast of heat, but it's time for a break.

doesn't the thing with the dampened towels/sheets over the windows just increase the humidity in the apartment?

Last year, the door to the room I do sport in swelled up and couldn't be shut properly for months.  The windows of that room remained closed all day, then the moisture from the shower only had a couple of windows to escape from later in the day.  I've amended that a bit this year by leaving the door to that room open and the fan on most of the day.  So far the door is still shutting just fine but it's early days yet.

So yeah, I've also heard about the damp towel thing but not keen to increase the amount of moisture in the air, it's muggy enough already.  When I get real desperate I spray myself with water while sitting in front of the fan.

11 hours ago, ooch said:

I do not heat in winter and now I shall cool?

I keep thinking about this, too.  Whenever I think about the people living in insane parts of the US where millions of people have AC running 24 hours a day, most months out of the year, I also can't help but think of the tremendous environmental cost. As far as personal cost, I don't know how much electricity they use, but I already feel a little funny having the fan on all day.  I mean, I DO it :lol: but I'm keenly aware of it, too.  Southerners like fraufruit are maybe more accustomed to the concept of air conditioning because they come from places where every home is fitted with a whole system for the entire house.  But for me it's totally weird.  I do heat in the winter but until she mentioned that I had never considered AC in the summer.  Now it's this little temptation niggling in the back of my mind, thanks for that @fraufruit ;) 

29 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

doesn't the thing with the dampened towels/sheets over the windows just increase the humidity in the apartment?

So yeah, I've also heard about the damp towel thing but not keen to increase the amount of moisture in the air, it's muggy enough already.  When I get real desperate I spray myself with water while sitting in front of the fan.

I don't put damp towels on the windows, that can't be good. I use small flannels/face cloths on myself when I start to overheat.

38 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I keep thinking about this, too.  Whenever I think about the people living in insane parts of the US where millions of people have AC running 24 hours a day, most months out of the year, I also can't help but think of the tremendous environmental cost. As far as personal cost, I don't know how much electricity they use, but I already feel a little funny having the fan on all day.  I mean, I DO it :lol: but I'm keenly aware of it, too.  Southerners like fraufruit are maybe more accustomed to the concept of air conditioning because they come from places where every home is fitted with a whole system for the entire house.  But for me it's totally weird.  I do heat in the winter but until she mentioned that I had never considered AC in the summer.  Now it's this little temptation niggling in the back of my mind, thanks for that @fraufruit ;) 

My younger daughter is very environmentally aware and when I mentioned getting an AC system last year, she told me she'd never visit me again!  Lets face it, it's a couple of weeks a year here in Germany and it's doable.  There are parts of the world where they need it more than we do.

7 minutes ago, Tap said:

Lets face it, it's a couple of weeks a year here in Germany and it's doable.

Yea, that's the crap Himself tried to feed me when I came here. They all said  that but each year there were weeks and weeks of scorching hot weather. We AC'ed up and stopped all the bickering. Barely noticeable on the power bill but they all said, you know the ones without AC, that the cost would be enormous.

It's fun having this discussion every year.

It's definitely tempting and as you say, it's only a few weeks a year (though in Berlin in recent years it's been more like months :( ).  I also don't relish listening to my husband complain about it.  If I really want one, I might do it.  So far I'll try to stick with my little fan.  It's been such a faithful companion so many years.

In other news, I'm seriously (not seriously) weighing the risks of contracting a pioneer disease vs the comfort of living permanently in the cellar.  Our cellar floods often during heavy rain (don't know if it's bad drainage or proximity to the canal or what) so always a permanent smell of mildew and who knows how much bionic mold and swamp critters down there.  Maybe I'll just take a book down there and hang out (definitely not).  But every trip to the cellar is like a vacation from this heat!  Just a couple feet underground and it's already like 20 degrees cooler.

Is Stosslueftung worth trying?

Just read about life in Vegas, Nevada, warnings are issued above 105°F. Someone working in a hotel complained that he oftentimes was going out to fetch luggage from vehicles, then back inside, then out again in the sun, awful.

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

It is a desert trick. Only sheets, never towels - those would block the air flow. Latent heat of evaporation. Most of the moisture is not going to end up inside, although we don't do it during high humidity, because after years of reading TT we have a healthy fear of damp and mould.  

Here it seems to vary a lot. Yesterday was very humid. Today is not, but there is enough breeze that opening opposite windows/doors is doing the trick. We have been able to move and do useful stuff without weeping :lol: The trick is keeping the curtains shut whilst propping the window open.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Is Stosslueftung worth trying?

Just read about life in Vegas, Nevada, warnings are issued above 105°F. Someone working in a hotel complained that he oftentimes was going out to fetch luggage from vehicles, then back inside, then out again in the sun, awful.

Stosslüftung is just opening all the windows completely for a few or more minutes.  It will help when the outside temps are lower than inside.  Right now, it's 31 outside, 27 inside so I would not benefit from an open window but in the evening I will.

Here I'm on the ground floor and have metal shutters to keep the sun out whilst letting the light in. And it does work, for a few days anyway but the heat eventually gets in and it's feeling quite warm now.

I find AC tends to make me ill. And it just makes it feel worse when you inevitably have to go outside. Better to just drink lots of water, take lots of showers and deal with .

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Here I'm on the ground floor and have metal shutters to keep the sun out whilst letting the light in. And it does work, for a few days anyway but the heat eventually gets in and it's feeling quite warm now.

I find AC tends to make me ill. And it just makes it feel worse when you inevitably have to go outside. Better to just drink lots of ̶w̶a̶t̶e̶r̶  beer take lots of  s̶h̶o̶w̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶   ( men smell better without ) and deal with .;)

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Heck, on Malta you are happy in the evening when it cools down to 35°. What would you do if it were 40+° for three or four months?

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

Heck, on Malta you are happy in the evening when it cools down to 35°. What would you do if it were 40+° for three or four months?

I'd move.

We spent most of the day in the cellar, drank a gazillion litres of lemonade, now my daughter is cycling to the supermarket to buy ice cream because she does not stand it anymore.