Weather in Berlin and surrounds

121 posts in this topic

Former NYC transplant who just moved to Berlin. Got here in mid-April and had fantastic weather! I was like "damn, the weather in Berlin isn't so bad!" Then, since the end of April and up to now mid-May, it's been FREEZING! And if it's not freezing or raining, the sky is a color gray I've never seen before...ugh! I looked at the 10 day forecast this morning and it doesn't look promising either.

What gives? Is it normal to have temperatures in Berlin topping out at 6 or 7 degrees Celsius in mid-May?

But seriously, it happens. The latest forecast on wetter.com says things should warm up a bit next weekend, then drop down again the weekend after that. The warmest months are typically July and August.

Don't forget that we're further north than Vancouver.

Don't forget that we're further north than Vancouver.

Well I hear you on that...I mean I'm originally from Cleveland Ohio which could possibly be the worst weather city in the U.S. but even their 10-day doesn't look near as bleak. I'm hoping we get over-the-hump by next weekend. Prior to Berlin I was in Mainz and it was pretty bad there too. It's been a tough German winter that's for sure. So much for global warming I guess.

I'm in Heidelberg and its the same, super crappy for the last week and still going strong. Can we put any kind of positive spin on this? Mine is being able to keep the beer outside on the patio and it stays ready to drink. :) Trying to stay positive...

Its because of the "Eisheiligen".

This has a long tradition in Europe, and it refers to a period in May when, according to popular farmers' lore, the weather is still too unstable to plant crops because of the danger of frost. There are five saints (Mamertus, Pancras, Servatius, Bonifatius, and Sophie) whose feast days fall from the 11th to the 15th May. Today is is "cold Sophie".

Can we put any kind of positive spin on this? Mine is being able to keep the beer outside on the patio and it stays ready to drink.

Well one thing that could be perceived as positive, loosly...haha, is that I have been sick with a cold the past week. And I would rather be sick during crappy weather than being sick during beautiful weather and forced to stay indoors. But, I always seem to get sick when it goes from cold-to-warm-then-back-to-cold.

The weather today in berlin is AWFUL

My firefox thermomether says 6 C...and it's raining constantly.

I don't think this low temperatuers are normal...we are heading towards june!!

I'll spend the day with a book and a cup of tea...

Sorry folks, it seems normal.

My first year in Germany - on the 4th of July, the high was 55 F (13C) and rained off and on all day. For the picnic some friends and I had, we wound up with heavy jackets and leaving once the sun set (too cold). That was pretty much the entire "summer". After 4 years in the "lowland" countries, I realize that this is our summer. About the best weather we'll get is in April / October - and it rarely gets above 30 C. We should be investing in SAD lamps (to be used all year).

I was never so happy as to go to Egypt on holiday - because it seems I'd forgotten what the sun looked like... Of course, the resulting blinding of the native populations from my pale white reflective skin may have had its consequences, but at least I got to bake like a lizard (lobster?) on a rock and be warm for a while. :D

it is definitely not "normal". worst may for years (said in all the weather forecasts as well). stuff with eisheiligen is true though, but this is lasting only five days usually. not two weeks. good news: eisheiligen should be over around 20th.

What gives? Is it normal to have temperatures in Berlin topping out at 6 or 7 degrees Celsius in mid-May?

just wait for the cold days in june - the "Schafskälte" :rolleyes:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t99507.html

no seriousely

it is normal for may around the "Eisheiligen" to even have temperatures below freezing at night as stated above

- enough weather proverbs/contry sayings exist to show it also has a long history

if you happen to catch the wrong year it can be a bit extrem though

stuff with eisheiligen is true though, but this is lasting only five days usually. not two weeks. good news: eisheiligen should be over around 20th.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a European fairy tale about ice saints is most certainly not causing poor weather in Berlin. I mean it makes for a good story and a laugh but it never ceases to amaze me how people believe science is somehow being controlled by "higher beings." That's like saying the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus are causing our poor weather lately...haha!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a European fairy tale about ice saints is most certainly not causing poor weather in Berlin. I mean it makes for a good story and a laugh but it never ceases to amaze me how people believe science is somehow being controlled by "higher beings." That's like saying the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus are causing our poor weather lately...haha!

The important thing is not from where the traditional name came, what it is important is that it is normal that the weather turns cold and then finally rise up. However, this year has been colder than normal.

There is just a whole network of low pressure regions and not a high in sight - except possibly over Spain.

The satellite picture is depressing..

I tell ye it will likely stay this way - I'm going on flying holidays in Southern Germany 29.5. - 5.6. and invariably I attract bad weather. I did warn the organiser but he claims excellent (flying) weather has been promised...

Well I hear you on that...I mean I'm originally from Cleveland Ohio which could possibly be the worst weather city in the U.S. but even their 10-day doesn't look near as bleak. I'm hoping we get over-the-hump by next weekend. Prior to Berlin I was in Mainz and it was pretty bad there too. It's been a tough German winter that's for sure. So much for global warming I guess.

Speaking as someone who also grew up in Cleveland and lived in NYC before moving here, I can say that the weather here has its pluses and minuses. November through March: think Cleveland's cloud cover minus most of the snow (thankfully) but also minus 2 additional hours of daylight. June - August: none of that NYC triple H (hazy, hot, humid) weather, and wonderfully long days that last until 10:30 PM or so. April and May can vary from year to year but tend not to be as warm and sunny as back home. Fall is nice but ends sooner than you are used to (even October tends to be wet, cold, and dark).

My advice: enjoy every beautiful spring and summer day that you can, it will help get you through the winter.

Are you sure you are in Europe? Your location says Bielefeld, you can be anywhere.