Required to get a Schufa without registration

7 posts in this topic

Hi there

This is my first post on the forum and have been here only a few days. I have been having a read through many posts and realising how helpful the forum is I thought I would give it a go. I am currently staying in temporary accommodation in Berlin hotel/short term lets whilst I am looking for an apartment in Berlin.

I am in the process of putting together the documentation I will need to prove I have the ability to pay the rent and seem to be a little confused as to how I go about getting a Schufa report without officially being registered in Berlin. I understand that I can only be registered in Berlin when I have a permanent address and at this stage, it seems a bit like the chicken and the egg.

I was wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience who could point me in the right direction or people who may know whether agents would accept other credit reports from the UK like Experian etc?

I thank you for any help in advance

Best

Do you need a credit reference report to rent a flat in Germany? What would a Schufa report say about someone who has no history in Germany, anyway? Presumably that you are not proven as creditworthy, I'd have thought. They can hardly give you a endorsement.

I don't think any of the newbies I know here did although I can't recall any of us using agents (so if it is necessary for agents, that'd be an alternative). Certainly never came into pay for me. "Credit-worthiness" here means having your own money - income (ie solid job prospects) or cash. The opposite of living off other people's money and paying them back later that (strangely) is the UK definition now.

I'd not hang your hopes on a UK one. Would a German understand it? Would they place any importance on your being on a UK electoral roll (which matters not one jot here)? They will certainly not be impressed by your capacity to pay any loan / debts off on time but more alarmed that you actually dealt in debt - it'd be seen here as showing you might well not be able to not pay the rent here.

An Experian credit report? Or a bank statement with a nice healthy balance? Or an employment contract with a nice healthy salary? Which do you think shows you "creditworthy" in a cash-based nation?

Agree with the above.

Having never been asked by three previous landlords, I showed my Schufa rating when I moved into my current place in Berlin, but it was all something of an afterthought by the agency. If I’d said I never registered with Schufa, I doubt it would have been a problem. I wouldn’t worry about it. Berlin landlords are desperate to fill apartments.

swimmer and hodd, thanks for your time and coming back to me, it all makes sense...I will see how I get on without one with the flat I am going for at the moment :)

I am in the process of putting together the documentation I will need to prove I have the ability to pay the rent and seem to be a little confused as to how I go about getting a Schufa report without officially being registered in Berlin. I understand that I can only be registered in Berlin when I have a permanent address and at this stage, it seems a bit like the chicken and the egg.

Sounds to me like you are confusing 2 different things. You need to register where you live at the Burgeramt, within 14 days of moving in. This registration has absolutely nothing to do with Schufa.

Schufa is a credit reference agency, a bit like Experian in UK. You don't 'register' with them in any way.

What would a Schufa report say about someone who has no history in Germany, anyway? Presumably that you are not proven as creditworthy, I'd have thought. They can hardly give you a endorsement.

From personal experience, a Schufa report on someone with no history in Germany is blank - there is literally nothing written on the page. That blank was fine for a German bank to give me a bank account with an EC card and credit card. My understanding is that a Schufa report is a list of facts about the person, and the organisation or individual who asks for the report decides for themselves whether that person is creditworthy.

One more point: if you rent from a private individual, consider asking them for permission to get a Schufa report on them. One potential landlord for a flat I saw admitted that his Schufa report would contain information about a debt of several thousand Euros to an internet provider, and that he could not get internet service for the flat as a result. Maybe I could have got an internet provider to take me on at that address, but I decided it was simpler to look for another flat.

I had the same problem back in 2002 when I moved into my current flat.

I simply explained to the new landlord that I have only just moved to the country so no official body knows that I am here - seeing as i need a permanent address before they'd even let me through the door (that was pre-legal training days, unfortunately)...anyway..upon producing a letter saying that my parents would cover the rent if I couldn't pay (which they've never done or been asked to do - so it's totally proforma) they were fine with it...

and also...how are they going to have a negative entry for someone who they don't know exists? Basically, once you explain what I wrote above about just moving to the country etc, then they shouldn't have a problem at all