Moving to the Ahrensburg area

18 posts in this topic

My husband and I along with our 6-yr old son are planning to move to the Ahrensburg area for work reasons. I am looking for recommendations on villages to consider moving to in the area besides Ahrensburg (which is also a consideration). We currently only have one car and hope to avoid getting a second, so I am looking for a village that offers (within walking distance) a grocery store, bakery, school, bus line etc. and one with some charm! I am also interested in hearing about life in general in this area, as we are currently living in Aachen.

You have presumably looked at the Wikipedia entry for Ahrensburg (in German).

My wife spent her first 9 years in Ahrensburg until she moved with her parents to Husum.

Been there once or twice - nothing spectacular, nothing negative.

You'll have to spend a weekend up here & take a view. ALso depends what your various interests are.

Take a look at neighbouring Volksdorf ... a popular relatively rural, quiet residential area with all the necessary facilities and good public transport links to the rest of Hamburg

Grosshansdorf is a good (but expensive) neighbourhood close to Ahrensburg with good transport links into Hamburg. Ahrensburg itself has some nice areas and it also has good links into Hamburg. Other places close by are Ammersbek/Timmerhorn which is more of a village but has some shops etc. Another small but nice town in the area is Bargteheide.

I can offer Reinbek. 15min drive to Ahrenburg and a might lot easier to get around if you have no car. Everything here is in walking/biking distance. 25min to downtown Hamburg or 45 by PT. Couple of UK nationals live here and I'm here (Canandian) and theres a US family in the area too.

I visited Reinbek a couple of times but over 20 years ago. Bismark country. Close to the Sachsenwald.

I was invited to the spacious house of a colleague of my father - a Professor of Chemistry at Hamburg University. Looks as if hes still there...

Reinbek is on the S-Bahn...

We have been living in Ahrensburg for 5 years now, my husband an 2 children and managed without a car till now. It's a lovely town, and bit expensive too. You can also look at bargteheide just outside Ahrensburg. Have you decided yet?

Grosshansdorf, while yes a bit on the expensive side, is a small community of about 8500 folks with nice schools. It also has 3 U-Bahn stops which makes for commuting to HH very easy, while Ahrensburg with two inconvenient U-bahn stops is less so, depending of course, on where one lives. Ahrensburg has a regional train service as well. Volksdorf is also very nice and home to a twice weekly open market and great vendors...supposedly one of the best open markets in HH. Grosshansdorf is just off the A-1 so access is easy. We like the area and have been here for about 6 years and I know there are other English speaking families in the area.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Sorry for not responding until now. We are still searching - Grosshansdorf is really beautiful but definitely expensive. I initially liked the layout of Bargteheide, but after staying there a few nights, I didn't get a good feel for it. But, I’m still keeping it open. My son just started Grundschule, so ideally we would like to hold off on a move until next summer, but if something comes up that we like, we will move sooner. Not ideal, but I would rather get settled somewhere than continue living here when I know we will be moving.

Hopefully there are some meet ups in the area, as I am looking forward to meeting English speaking people.

Thanks again!

ivv,

I think you'll find it tough locating a village offering all that you want. The conveniences such as a grocery store, bakery, school, bus line etc. (and charm) all within walking distance are going to mean considering a small town, such as Großhansdorf or Bargteheide or maybe a larger village like Bargfeld-Stegen (but that means catching a bus to secondary school for the kids and no easy link into Hamburg).

The big advantages of Großhansdorf and Bargteheide is that they have banks, shops, primary and secondary schools right there within walking/biking distance and they have excellent transport links by rail/U-Bahn into Hamburg when you need to to get into the city and are also close to Autobahns (A1,A21 and A20,A24 not far away) for exploring further by car.

Bargteheide 100%. Charming, friendly, walking distance to the train and shops, nature. It has it all. Moved here from Eppendorf and haven't regretted it one day!

Hi, the original post was made awhile back but maybe this will help. Bargteheide might be nice ( I don't like it, I work there) but I understand

its quite expensive. Bad Oldesloe is cheaper and it's only 16kms away, closer to Lübeck and the beaches (Timmendorf, Travemunde etc) Ahrensburg is even more expensive. The closer you get to Hamburg the more you pay.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions! We ended up in Bargteheide and love it. So much for first impressions!

Hi there, glad you found a place. Bargteheide is great! Have a few english friends there. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime, we are in Ahrensburg and quite a few english ladies as well.

Ah you canadian I see! I have 2 canadian friends here in Ahrensburg, they also have a canadian anual club. If you interested!

sure, we could have a meet-up. Do any of your native English contact train adults? We are looking for a few more freelance trainers. info@speakeasy24.com.

This thread is everything that is on my mind right now. Anyone want to bring this thread back to life?

My options are:

-Grosshansdorf - Close to Ahrensburg's bilingual schools

-Ahrensburg - Bilingual DRK KITA and Schule there

-Bargteheide -Bilingual DRK KITA and Schule there

I am also curious are there any english speaking families (still) around that have experience with the bilingual KITA's / Schools in this area?