Where can I get my fingerprints taken in Germany?

63 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I need to submit my fingerprints as part of my application for teacher certification in the US (Oregon and Washington).

Does anyone know where I can have this done in Berlin? I don't need any special "fingerprinting authorization," just someplace or someone that is competent and sounds somewhat official. Both states will accept fingerprints from just about anywhere in the US, so I don't think they'll give me a hard time.

However, I do need the fingerprints for a background check - that means all 10 fingers rolled from one side of the nail to the other. Not the usual simple 1-finger impression that you might get on a passport.

I've already spoken with the US consolate and the Buergeramt here in Schoeneberg and they weren't able to help me. They only provide fingerprinting for certain (other) purposes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Aaron

Try your local Polizeipräsidium

Polizeipräsidium‎ - Henning-von-Tresckow-Straße 9, 14467 Potsdam

Der Polizeipräsident Berlin - Platz der Luftbrücke 6, 12101 Berlin

Polizeipräsidium Schoneberg - Gothaer Str. 19, 10823 Berlin

Hello,

I need to do this but in Hamburg so I can mail stuff to the FBI for a background check and no one who speaks German well enough can accompany me.

Can someone please tell me what I should write on a note to explain this (i.e. I would like to get fingerprints on this form for a background check, etc)?

I didn't know an FBI Background check is now required to teach in the US.. :blink:

I had to get one to work in a hospital in NYC so let's hope the people teaching kids also have to get one.

I would like to apply for a summer teaching job in Korea, but must submit a Canadian criminal record background check to aquire a visa. As I won't be in Canada in the foreseeable future, fingerprinting and other documentation has to be done here in Berlin and then forwarded on to the Mounties. According to the RCMP website, this document must inlcude rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink, my full name, dob, sex, name & address of the local police agency & finally the signature of the official taking the fingerprints on the document.

Has anyone had fingerprinting done in Berlin (or Germany)? Did it match and include the above mentioned criteria? Also I am a little bit unsure about what exactly to ask for at my local polizeipräsidium as my 'fingerprinting' and 'criminal' vocabulary is (luckily) quite limited in German - fingerabdrücke is about all I know, but rolled, flat, etc ???. I would be interested in hearing any tips, advice or experience that anyone has had regarding fingerprinting in Germany or attaining criminal background checks while living abroad. Also if anyone has an idea of cost and processing time, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Update - I've bumped this to 'Germany - visas & permits' to appeal to a broader Toytown audience. I apologize in advance to any of our slighly more detail oriented Toytowners if it isn't exactly the correct category. Anyway, as mentioned above, I need to be fingerprinted in Germany to have a criminal record background check done in my country of origin, Canada to aquire a work permit abroad. As I understand it Americans and Aussies require this as well for similar background checks. I tried going to the Polizeipräsident in Berlin at the Platz der Luftbrücke on Friday and they said they had no idea about that, but directed me to a nearby Polizeiwache. The police officer on duty told me that the police in Germany cannot and will not do fingerprinting due to privacy concerns. I tried my best to explain why I needed it and he told me I would need to go out and commit a crime and then come back in order to be fingerprinted (yes, he really suggested that). I explained that would automatically defeat the purpose as it is for a work visa. The conversation went in circles for about 10 minutes before he became a little agitated and told me that he couldn't give every Canadian or Australian a stamp on the hand to fulfill the needs of their foreign governments. At that point I thanked him for his time and left, unsure what to do now.

On a similar Munich thread, someone had mentioned something about going to a police station. I am therefore not sure if 1) he knew what he was talking about or 2) just covering for his lack of knowledge and trying to get rid of me. I also plan on getting in touch with the Canadian embassy next week, although according to the web, they don't offer these services. If anyone has any pointers or experience with getting your fingerprints 'officially' taken here, that would be fantastic.

http://www.ehow.com/...rint-cards.html

Example finger print card

Why not buy a stamp pad, take it to the embassy, make your fingerprints in their presence and let them confirm your identity with a stamp or a signature or whatever. Can't be that difficult to make an identifiable finger print on a piece of paper? Maybe you can call a fingerprinting agency and ask if they can send you a blank card.

Taking fingerprints of people is something the police is not allowed to do unless somebody commited a crime, is a suspect or witness. Like no search without warrant. There are no fingerprinting agencys because using fingerprints for application purposes would be illegal. Employees can ask for a "polizeiliches Führungszeugnis" though.

If you can provide fingerprints and an explanation that there are no agencies in Germany, but the embassy can confirm your identity maybe it is no problem at all?

I just got my fingerprints taken for a Canadian criminal records check at the place recommended to me by the Canadian embassy. It is the Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten at Friedrichstr 219, 10958 Berlin. I was told to go to Herr Krause in room 208, 2 OG. The building is very confusing and there's no central information desk to tell you where to go, but Herr Krause's office is on the side of the building that has fewer people sitting in the waiting area. I took a green waiting number card (not blue) and a friendly worker helped me look for Krause, who wasn't there that day, but found a replacement lady to do the fingerprinting. You need to bring your passport and it costs 15€, but they've got the fingerprinting setup there and it's pretty quick. Hopefully it'll satisfy the criteria and it'll all work out!

The opening times for the Amt are:

Mon: 8-15

Tues: 11-18

Thurs: 11-18

Fri: 8-13

And just in case it isn't written anywhere else on here, if one needs a German Führungszeugnis, I got one at my local Rathaus, it was very easy to do and it came in the post a week later.

UPDATE

http://www.ehow.com/...rint-cards.html

Example finger print card

Why not buy a stamp pad, take it to the embassy, make your fingerprints in their presence and let them confirm your identity with a stamp or a signature or whatever. Can't be that difficult to make an identifiable finger print on a piece of paper? Maybe you can call a fingerprinting agency and ask if they can send you a blank card.

Taking fingerprints of people is something the police is not allowed to do unless somebody commited a crime, is a suspect or witness. Like no search without warrant. There are no fingerprinting agencys because using fingerprints for application purposes would be illegal. Employees can ask for a "polizeiliches Führungszeugnis" though.

If you can provide fingerprints and an explanation that there are no agencies in Germany, but the embassy can confirm your identity maybe it is no problem at all?

This is NOT AN OPTION at all if you require fingerprinting for getting a Canadian criminal record background check - you cannot make your own or do this at the Canadian embassy. I think the links above pertain more to getting copies of your children's fingerprints for safekeeping, which of course I think is a really great idea for that purpose. For official purposes, you must have your fingerprints taken on a form at an RCMP detachment or if abroad by an accredited fingerprinting agency (see below). As well, you are correct that the Berlin police (like the Canadian embassy) will not do this service for Canadians either (not sure about other cities, but I suppose the same applies).

I just got my fingerprints taken for a Canadian criminal records check at the place recommended to me by the Canadian embassy. It is the Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten at Friedrichstr 219, 10958 Berlin. I was told to go to Herr Krause in room 208, 2 OG. The building is very confusing and there's no central information desk to tell you where to go, but Herr Krause's office is on the side of the building that has fewer people sitting in the waiting area. I took a green waiting number card (not blue) and a friendly worker helped me look for Krause, who wasn't there that day, but found a replacement lady to do the fingerprinting. You need to bring your passport and it costs 15€, but they've got the fingerprinting setup there and it's pretty quick. Hopefully it'll satisfy the criteria and it'll all work out!

The opening times for the Amt are:

Mon: 8-15

Tues: 11-18

Thurs: 11-18

Fri: 8-13

And just in case it isn't written anywhere else on here, if one needs a German Führungszeugnis, I got one at my local Rathaus, it was very easy to do and it came in the post a week later.

Thanks Natasha, excellent information - this is exactly what I have done -Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO) in Berlin does fingerprinting ("Beglaubigung von Fingerabdrücken" - sorry link is only available in German) and you're right it does go quite quickly and there is no appointment necessary. You will need to forward this on to Canada with a fee of around $25 CDN. Right again in regards to the German background check, this was my experience as well. Cost me about 15 Euros at city hall and arrived 2 days later.

As I have found out, you need fingerprinting for a vulnerable sector criminal record background check, you need to plan for at least 6 months before you get your results back from the RCMP Civil Fingerprinting Screening Services, especially if you do it overseas. If you are in Canada, it can be done at any RCMP detachment, but they recommend making an appointment. It will also be done on paper (like LABO in Berlin) and they also say it can take anywhere from 120 days to 6 months as well. Do not expect any useful information at all when sending them repeated email inquiries - instead you will only receive this automatic response, "Given the information sent, the application has not reached our system at this time. Due to our quality control process, this does not mean that they are not in the building." Telephone number is also only an answering machine where you leave a message for them to get back to you - I'm still waiting for that call. Cost is around $25 CDN. (As an aside, I don't ever want to hear bitching about German bureacracy ever again).

If you are looking for the fastest method, which is only available when in Canada, go to the Commissionaires. This will cost you about $75 CDN. They will do digital fingerprinting, which they electronically forward on to the RCMP and it will take 3 days to check and about 1 - 2 weeks to get your results back. They have offices in most cities and you need to make an appointment. The ability to submit fingerprints electronically to the RCMP is not currently available outside of Canada.

You can also get a criminal record background check without fingerprinting at any city police detachment within minutes for around $40 CDN - but without the fingerprinting it is insufficient for most jobs, especially anything related to government, teaching, working with children, etc.

If in Canada, remember of course to bring 2 pieces of ID, one with a photo like a driver's license or passport. In Germany, only your passport is required.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello Everyone,

I need to submit my fingerprints to the FBI for a background check. I have the form that the fingerprints need to be on, but in fear of doing it myself and getting rejected, I am looking for a place in Berlin to get this done. I called the police station and it appears they do not do it there. Has anyone else had to do this in Berlin and where can I get it done properly? Thanks for your help, but I have a feeling this is going to be difficult here. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I just got my fingerprinting done here in Berlin. Here is the link (in German) - take someone who speaks German with you - http://www.berlin.de/labo/einwohnerwesen/dienstleistungen/index.php/dienstleistung/320310/

Landesamt fuer Buergerangelegenheiten

Friedrichstr. 219

10958 Berlin

Phone: 90269-2141 and -2172

I am a US citizen soon departing Germany for another job outside the US...

My new employers want to do a background check, by way of getting my FBI record. I have to send fingerprints to the FBI for this. Does anyone know where I can a professional fingerprinting service? Preferably near Goettingen, where I live. It has to be done right or else my application for my FBI record will get rejected.

If I was in the US, I could get it done at police stations. But not here...

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I think a background check would be the more appropiate term. In Germany a Polizeilichesführungszeugniss is the same as sometimes also asked for.

Hi... yes I saw that thread before but it only gave info for Munich residents.

Yes I have an FBI record... it is "no arrests", and that's what I need! You could call it a "police clearance", or "criminal background check", or whatever... that's what my employer wants from US citizens.

Any idea of what options I have in my area? I live in Göttingen, and Frankfurt and Hannover are not too far.

I would contact the FBI and ask if there is a service in Germany they recommend/approve. I've had to do something similar in the US and there were requirements for whose fingerprinting services I could use.