Grilling Season is Here!

96 posts in this topic

Right, so the grilling season is now upon us (at least according to German custom) and so at the barber shop today, the only thing to read was the local Käseblatt (those useless free local newspapers filled with adverts) and on the front page is an article entitled: "So the barbecue season remains undisturbed" or something to that effect. Now being American (and I am sure you Canadians, Australians and others who have grilling in their blood) would have had their interest piqued by this article. As did I. So here is what I learned from the article that I must admit, that until now, I was most uninformed.

* You are only allowed to grill if doesn't bother the neighbors greatly (whatever that means)

* When grilling make sure the smoke doesn't go into the neighbor's property (Stuttgart court)

* A multifamily house is only allowed to grill once a month (Bonn court)

* The neighbors should be informed 2 days in advance

The rest of the article is a nice pedantic discourse on the proper way to grill with briquettes or electricity (hmmm.. no propane) but nevertheless informative for the beginner.

But I could not help but laugh when reading this article. So dear readers, be forewarned before you light up. Or invite the neighbors over to grill some pork steaks that have been marinated in some kind of orange goo. The court has also ruled that if you invite the neighbors over they can't complain.

Edit: And one great piece of advice was never put out a fire with beer. I have to agree with that. Beer is too precious to waste.

You can't grill with charcoal in balconies.

It is forbidden to grill in many parks, check your local rules. Some parks have specific areas for grilling.

* When grilling make sure the smoke doesn't go into the neighbor's property (Stuttgart court)

Lol... this one is great... "oh, wait... I'll get wind protections 3 meters high to stop the smoke being blown by the wind... NOT" :rolleyes:

That once a month rule is also funny because just this month I grilled at least 10 times already, not to mention my neighbors. And as soon as the weather clears up, more grilling will come.

People generally will only complain of bad smell (grilling fish for example) or if you don't warn them in case they have clothes hanging outside (of if you're a jerk and just ignore there's clothes outside). Other than that, happy grilling.

As for the charcoal thing... damn... me and my neighbors all need to swap to something else then, lol.

For reference, I live in Cappel, Marburg and everyone and their mothers either has a huge balcony (like me) or garden. Come and tell us not to grill... :rolleyes:

While we're at it, lets tell the neighbors that own horses to stop threading them down the street because of the poop...

Absolutely Euph. I have been grilling here for years. Never had any problems with any neighbors. That's what made me laugh about the article. I see you are Portuguese, I bet you are grilling fish often and all you put on it is olive oil. Yummmm! I think most Germans complain about fish smell because they don't appreciate it. That's why they put cream sauce on it.

Absolutely Euph. I have been grilling here for years. Never had any problems with any neighbors. That's what made me laugh about the article. I see you are Portuguese, I bet you are grilling fish often and all you put on it is olive oil. Yummmm! I think most Germans complain about fish smell because they don't appreciate it. That's why they put cream sauce on it.

I do grill fish but not as often as meat as I do know that the smell is really nasty xD

That the germans aren't very keen on fish is quite obvious but I guess it has to do with culture and not being a country by the sea.

Still, this whole article is great to have a laugh. :D

Says who?

My tip: When the grill gets hot, "clean" it with some fat bacon. It actually gets a bit cleaner and the meat won't stick to the grill.

I soak fish in milk for a short while to get rid of the smell sometimes if people are bothered by the smell.

or wrap in tinfoil? some olive oil and lemon hmmmmm.

That's a very good tip btomi - I absolutely HATE the smell of fish!

I'll be getting some boxes of Sosmix in the post soon, so even as a veggie, I can participate in the "grill season"!

... but I guess it has to do with culture and not being a country by the sea.

North Sea, Baltic Sea anyone? :)

This is one of the few times that I am happy that I live in a very small village. We BBQ/grill A LOT in the summer. We have a huge BBQ and patio set, and spend our summer days in the yard. Our neighbors have never complained, and the wind does blow smoke their way. heh.

North Sea, Baltic Sea anyone?

Yeah, I know but Marburg is in Hessen and I don't get a lot of fish here (except those frozen fillets that turn into charcoal if you try to grill them or those fish stick... that seems to sell a lot... <_< ). The fish market in frankfurt is a bit too far to go (100km) on week days because if you want decent fish, you have to go there early (aka, at the time I should be working) so I resort to the Portuguese shops to get things like horse mackerel or sardines.

Marburg is in Hessen and I don't get a lot of fish here

Can't you use some freshwater fish like trout to throw on the barbie? That should be available as a fresh catch in your area, not frozen. Just wondering.

just this month I grilled at least 10 times already, not to mention my neighbors.

I guess that's one way of making sure they don't complain.

Euph, you need to find the nearest Metro and get someone who has a business to get you in. They have fresh fish here in Mannheim and it's the best around. Everything from Cod, Dorado, Tuna, Swordfish, Lobster, Scallops, Mussels, you name it. I'm assuming that Marburg has one and it is the same though.

I'm assuming that Marburg has one

You're kidding, right? Marburg has something like 80,000 people and is in the middle of nowhere. The closest Metro is in Siegen in NRW, 60 km away. Offhand, Hessen has exactly two Metro Cash&Carry markets, one in Frankfurt and one in Kassel.

I know someone has already commented on this bullet :blink: , but I just couldn't let it lie. This is quite the most ludicrous piece of legislation that I've yet come across in three years of living in this fine country. What was the judge thinking of when he whacked his gavel on that one? Only in Germany, the country that gave us Fraunhofer, Gauss, Heisenberg, Hertz and Planck (amongst many other distinguished Physicists), could a provincial beak outlaw Brownian Motion. Quite, quite baffling.

K

That statement needs qualification. It is certainly the case that many Hausordnung (house rules) ban it, but there is not a blanket ban. That having been said, you're going to get less hassle with an electric grill, for sure.

Die Welt has a wide-ranging, if somewhat rambling, article.

Only in Germany, the country that gave us Fraunhofer, Gauss, Heisenberg, Hertz and Planck (amongst many other distinguished Physicists), could a provincial beak outlaw Brownian Motion. Quite, quite baffling.

Well, you could install a industrial-strength Dunstabzugshaube above your grill :D

I switched to propane when I moved into an apartment with a balcony, figuring that it would be uncool to use my Weber on a balcony. Sold my Weber and parted ways with it very sadly. Come the second day in my apartment I go out for a smoke, and what's the guy below me doing. Grilling on a coal grill. Everyone in the building grills all the time, nobody complains. The upside is, I get to brew on my balcony.