German car insurance and foreign no-claims bonuses

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm currently living in Dublin and want to move to Germany, preferrably Munich (having been to a good few cities in Germany, Munich is may favourite) in a few months (lots of things to tie up this end!!). I have a question regarding car insurance. I'e been insured with my own policy for a couple of years now but I have about 7 years driving experience before that as a named driver. I have been trying to find out will any of the German inurance companies give me schadenfreijahres or whatever they call a no claims bonus, for these 7 years in particular. Obviously this amount of time could considerably reduce my premiums! Has anybody got similar experiences trying to secure no claims discounts from German insurers? Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Surely it doesn't matter how long you've been a named driver as this doesn't go towards any sort of no claims bonus, even in Ireland.

Anyways, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the cost of insurance here by comparison to Dublin. There's a massive difference.

If you want the phone number of the insurance guy I use here then drop me a mail or message. He speaks excellent English and will be able to give you an idea of what exactly is involved.

Cheers for the reply keydeck,

Eagle star (my current shower of extortionate fcukers) INSISTED I send them the letter from the crowd that had me insured as a named driver, they said they'd based the quote partly on it (I know cos they rang me after I said the same as you-'sure fcuk it, hardly forms part of the quote, I won't bother sendeing it in'!!!).

So it seems some 'Irish' insurers do take it int account. I guess when I approach a broker (I will email you for that if it's Munich I wind up in) and tell him I was driving BEFORE I hade a driving licence, ie., on the ould provisional, they won't compute that, being German and not unerstanding that there's nothing at all wrong with letting unqualified drivers out on the road for IR£12 or wahtever it is now ;) .

Probably they'll give me credit for anytime since I passed the test.

thanks again.

Yeah, as far as I know, years as a named driver is taken into account by all insurers. And also as far as I know, based on previous enquiries, no claims bonus (which incidentally is always limited to 5 years) cannot be carried over or somehow taken into account. But like keydeck said, they are not that high anyway.

Hello

I wanted to ask some of you lucky people driving cars here what insurance plan you may have and did you run into any problems in them recognizing your foreign auto coverage?

I have been driving and been insured since I was 16. As a student in the US, part of the time I was insured under my parents plan as an "addition." The German insurance company I contacted will not recognize the time I was on my parents policy. Simply as I understood it, everyone here is insured by themselves and there are no additions to their policies. Well over 20 years of driving and being insured in a different system will not be recognized. Again, I contacted a small Bavarian insurance company. Did anyone have these issues? I am looking for an insurance provider that is more open and tolerant to drivers from other systems. They seem to want to offer me a 85 percent than the 100 + percent that I should be offered.

Thanks

Topics merged by admin

They seem to want to offer me a 85 percent than the 100 + percent that I should be offered.

i would have to start at 120% because i've never had a car insured under my name in germany, so the guy is indeed reconigzing you having paid into other insurances.

I just brought in a bunch of letters from my previous insurance companies both when I was a named driver and my own car and I got a substanial reduction.

The thing they need is proof that you've never had an accident, if you can get letters from any previous insurers stating that you have never made a claim, the German insurers may accept that. The important thing is the number of years, so if you've always been with the same company they should be able to write a letter that states you were insured with them from...to... and in that time never made a claim. Just saying you had maximum no claims bonus,(In Britain usually 60%), will not be enough. It only takes 4 years to get to 60% so that's all you'll get here.

If you've been with lots of different companies then you're going to need letters from all of them.

It's actually up to the insurance company but most will accept a letter confirming your number of years accident-free in calculating an entitlement here. Note "accident free" is the key - "claims free" does not count (because some foreign policies have protected no-claims). Get the letter first and hawk it around the insurance companies or agents first, to check they will accept it. Some may need a certified translation.

TIP 1: I've seen some insurance companies accept letters from an insurance agent rather than a insurance company itself. If you happen to know someone in this business back home maybe they can write a suitable letter for you. Not that I am suggesting forgery of facts, of course, but I am sure it happens.

TIP 2: Many of the direct/internet insurance companies can't be bothered with this, so better to try a better known company or via an agent wchich will almost certainly be more expensive. At the year end (latest end of November) you can cancel your policy with them, get a formal certificate of accident-free years (now conforming to German rules) and go to a cheaper direct company of your choice

I went through this just over 7 years ago when I moved here. My problem was compounded by the fact that I had driven a company car in the UK for the last 10 years, wheich meant I had no insurance in my name for that period.

I tried a couple of insurance agents here before I found one who would quote based upon my UK "accident free" time.

It took a letter from my previous employer and a lot of discussions here but they finally accepted it.

MY recommendation is as above, make sure you get a certificate of no claims from your existing insurer and you should find it accepted here.

WH

Hey TTers,

I am reviving this topic a bit. I am moving back to Germany after a four year gig in the U.S.

When i sign up for car insurance again will they start me back at the 140% rate, or will they take into account my earlier five year accident free history in Germany? 

Also, what happens if i do have an accident? Will my rates immediately go to 100%?

22 minutes ago, eblah said:

Hey TTers,

I am reviving this topic a bit. I am moving back to Germany after a four year gig in the U.S.

When i sign up for car insurance again will they start me back at the 140% rate, or will they take into account my earlier five year accident free history in Germany? 

Also, what happens if i do have an accident? Will my rates immediately go to 100%?

There are some experts on Insurance on TT- John and Starshollow, amongst others.  Try pm to them.

When we came over from Canada, we brought letters/emails from our insurance- claims free/accident free for last 6 years ( I think that is the period they look at). We used  local insurers-brokers, and they accepted them, in English. Gave us credit for this.

http://culpeck.com/

Thanks for the kind words, RedMidge. Car insurance is the only common insurance I don´t deal with because I hate it: it´s boring and I don´t like it and people hassle you just before Christmas to switch tariffs just as you are having a Glühwein at a Weihnachtsmarkt!:lol:

I´ve read a few times on here that Starshollow mostly also refers people to Astrid at Culpeck for vehicle insurance for English-speakers.

Oh, and no, I´m not on referral commission -I´ve never even met Astrid but send our clients in that direction.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

http://culpeck.com/

Thanks for the kind words, RedMidge. Car insurance is the only common insurance I don´t deal with because I hate it: it´s boring and I don´t like it and people hassle you just before Christmas to switch tariffs just as you are having a Glühwein at a Weihnachtsmarkt!:lol:

I´ve read a few times on here that Starshollow mostly also refers people to Astrid at Culpeck for vehicle insurance for English-speakers.

Oh, and no, I´m not on referral commission -I´ve never even met Astrid but send our clients in that direction.

I did not know if cars were your area too! Good to have info!

I even got someone else (a competitor in Hamburg) to sort out our company car insurance, RedMidge!!!:D Honour amongst thieves!!!!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Reviving this old thread. We as a married couple are considering which one should register our future car.

One spouse had a car registered (in our homeland) in their name for 4 years (50% bonus) and one additional year (35% bonus).

The other one had 8 years with 50% bonus.

(both could obtain a translated paper to prove this)

Now, since the preferred option would be the first listed spouse, how much of a difference in insurance amount might be expected (+/- 100 €)?