Police stopped me and demanded my passport

188 posts in this topic

actually, would probably be a good topic to discuss in your integrations class, learn some new vocab. There are some personalities in the service positions here that will just speak louder if they think you don't understand, and it can be embarassing. And other personalities that think being loudest wins all together - and the more they feel they could possibly be wrong, the louder they get. Especially true of older german men. Its very confusing and frustrating at the beginning as there are so many rules to follow in Germany. Slowly you'll catch on, but you'll have to endure a few more unpleasant encounters yet.

Was probably the ordnungsamt, they are the power tripping thugs that most cops are without contributing the necessary social function that cops do..

I did laugh when I saw the ordnungsdienst van that looked like a SWAT wagon here and asked my german friend what that was... I can always imagine them busting through the windows if I accidentally forget and throw a bottle in the trash can.

I recommend carrying a wooden sword around with a big paper hat on your head. They will just think your crazy and leave you alone. Trust me it works.

I recommend watching "Achtung Kontrolle!" on TV to understand how these things work. Very educational.

I second that show...they can treat Germans pretty mean, but then most of the people they talk to have no respect for anyone of authority, with or without a gun.

Kabel eins at 7pm...:)

a little black handheld device that looks very much like an Iphone? That was what he took my picture with, and he 'typed' with a touchscreen my information.

What? :o

if you were riding on the wrong way well, I guess you did made a mistake so time to pay up.it's only 10 dollars/bucks,euro,what ever we get you. you were up-set and you have the right to feel like that it does take a couple of yrs to adjust to the different costumes,and laws,like rechts vor links etc...so shake it off your back,make a copy learn how to spell your name and learn the laws of riding a bike etc...good luck :D

I don't know if this is so easily possible in Ingolstadt but in Munich twice I have seen a guy on a mountain bike outrun a pigbeamer. Both times they raced pass me on the sidewalk with the pigbeamer giving chase in the road and the bikers have suddenly backtracked and dashed across some lights jammed with traffic or whizzed through some pedestrian area - it looks like a lot of fun.

I don't know, because if I was in the US I would have asked to see his identification, that is standard. Here, I have no idea if that is even allowed, and I am freaked out either way...

I think that you can ask for identification.

But then if they're in uniform, it's normally enough identification. At least I wouldn't know how the badge or ID is supposed to look to give me any further proof of their identity.

If it was something serious, I'm sure that they would expect to identify themselves. But in a traffic control the cops would just take it as you wanting to be troublesome. It kind of increases the chance that they then take the time to look at your bike to see whether the brakes are actually working and all that.

Has anyone mentioned the fact that it's only ten bucks, and basically just a traffic fine.

Yes, lots of posters before you.

Side note: Do these policemen or whatever they are supposed to be, use a little black handheld device that looks very much like an Iphone? That was what he took my picture with, and he 'typed' with a touchscreen my information.

I think they use these hand-held devices also for parking violations. It has an integrated camera to document the situation. The photo gets filed together with the fine in case that someone decides to fight the ticket in court.

The next time you want to go down that street in the wrong direction, dismount and push your bike along the pavement until the restriction no longer applies.

There's probably a good reason why it's a one-way street. It might be because the street is not wide enough to allow cars and bikes to go in both directions. In this case, it would probably be to protect you.

Yes, there are rules.. but sometimes they could actually be of benefit to you.

Yes, lots of posters before you.

Actually, no they didn't. Someone made mention that it was probably a ticket for riding the wrong way down a street, but not that it was simply a ten euro traffic fine of no actual consequence.

simply a ten euro traffic fine of no actual consequence.

Wouldn't that depend on whether or not one has 10 euro dollars to spare?

Yes, however I meant more in terms of legal consequence. It's not something that will go on criminal record, or affect her visa status, or her drivers license.

Soemtimes it is useful to carry around your ID. I was once asked for it on a train station as I looked similar to someone who left the army without permission. I carried an army bag so the military police asked for my ID. Of course with my ID there was no discussion to follow them and check if I am who I pretended to be.

Scary enough when paying with credit card and signature, they want to see an identification. ID is mostly the best one.

:( I was going to run errands on this nice weather day, but now I am somewhat paranoid that something else happens...even other bikers will yell at you here if you aren't perfect...Bavaria doesn't seem like the place to try right off the bat. It's sad that there are so few people with compassion who are willing to help or be nice.

A few days ago there was a big problem at the Post, as my packaged was said to have been delivered and waiting for me to pick up, but when I went they said it wasn't there and refused to do anything to help. Even when I took my German boyfriend along he became exasperated; we really don't understand what the peoples problem is here...

I think the OP has learned a good lesson, next time some jumped up traffic warden askes for her name and address, give them somebody elses.

It's not something that will go on criminal record, or affect her visa status, or her drivers license.

Correct. It's just a little Ordnungswidrigkeit or whatever you call it. Not a big deal at all.

even other bikers will yell at you here if you aren't perfect

Pssst, a quick tip, stop calling it "yelling". It's not; and by using it you are leading non-Americans into believing that a situation was much more serious than it actually was.