Police stopped me and demanded my passport

188 posts in this topic

do you look 'different' to German people then taverabera?

I got randomnly stopped by the police in my car some months ago, wonder if that was cuz I am foreign too.

I think what the person means that they do not know the way to pronounce the German alphabet.

Most policemen know the ICAO spelling alphabet (also known as NATO phonetic alphabet) but that probably wont help most people...

One of my successful moments at my previous job was on a Sunday evening telephoning with a Beamter at Munich police HQ and instructing him how to remove a faulty disk from the server configuration.

1) He did exactly as I told him

2) He knew the ICAO spelling alphabet

Look Op you did the right thing. You got off your bike and listened to the officer. Its part of learning the german system. Now you have your first impression of german society and I know you are going to remember it. Honestly I think you will have a 50/50 chance of getting a ticket for going the wrong way. Imagine if you had not stopped and he caught up with you . Your situation then would be much worse since you are applying for the integration course. Germans love to keep records...and not the cool vinyl ones that play Its a family affair I mean the legal ones. Chalk it up to experience and now you can tell your friends back home "I was only in Germany one month before I got stopped by a cop". They WILL be impressed. Hell I am right now. It took me three months before I got stopped and Im an ugly bastard.

taverabera, honestly, just stop... breath... slow down.

You broke the law, then couldn't identify yourself. The cop isn't going to accept some state ID from a foreign country, or wait while you run on home (presumably he waits there for you to return?).

You were under a lot of incorrect impressions, that's all, now you are not.

It sounds like you're simply upset the cop wasn't friendlier, but, based on your admitted level of German... perhaps he started out friendly, then became annoyed by an adult breaking down into tears and being non-communicative.

edit: I'll second keydeck's accound of Americans using the term "yelling"... I bet the cop was simply doing a combination of the usual stern authoritative German, with the "talking to foreigners" slowness/loudness

There was another man who was 'dressed' like what seemed to be a cop in the khaki uniform...though the guy who stopped me was dressed in black and did not have any badge or anything official showing...

Like I said...

You sure he was a cop? Others rode right past him?

You sure you didn't just hand some perv that hangs around outside schools your address to match his photo of you?

There was another man who was 'dressed' like what seemed to be a cop in the khaki uniform...though the guy who stopped me was dressed in black and did not have any badge or anything official showing...

Then maybe it was just some guy asking you out, did he ask for your phone number? Local mating habits can be a bit odd.

The German police is currently changing its uniforms, so you get mixed looks. Might also have been someone from Ordnungsamt plus a cop working together in traffic control.

the police can be quite rude here,

Strangely enough I've found the police to almost universally polite, even when I've done something wrong, (just traffic offences). I recently had to go to the police to have my ugly mug compared to the nice photo they'd taken of me and they could't have been nicer about it. Of course I speak the lingo so that probably helps.

Like I said...

Regensburg has city officers that work the inner city controling bicycle riders and what limited car traffic that comes through. They do not wear badges, have dark blue uniforms, and they do have the right to ticket you. Although most of the time they just warn you especially tourist.

I don't know, because if I was in the US I would have asked to see his identification, that is standard. Here, I have no idea if that is even allowed, and I am freaked out either way...

And by him 'yelling' I mean it was enough that everyone in the street was turning to look. He was not speaking slowly, despite me saying in German that I did not understand. He had no mercy whatsoever.

Then maybe it was just some guy asking you out, did he ask for your phone number? Local mating habits can be a bit odd.

Jesus dude she is not in fucking Munich.

A cop will show you his/her official id. Even on the trains they show you their id before checking your ticket. Unless they show me their id, they get nothing from me. Unless they are in obvious uniform...'dressed' like? The uniform is pretty obvious methinks...but I haven't been stopped or asked...

Local mating habits can be a bit odd.

Jesus dude she is not in fucking Munich.

I meant Europeans.

betcha it was the Ordnungsamt. Responsible for keeping order, cause without them, the germans would be outta control. Jaywalking, playing loud music, mowing their lawns on Sunday, not sorting your garbage properly, not using your bicycle bell properly, walking on the bike path... watch out, they have your picture now! :P

Regensburg has city officers that work the inner city controling bicycle riders and what limited car traffic that comes through. They do not wear badges, have dark blue uniforms, and they do have the right to ticket you. Although most of the time they just warn you especially tourist.

betcha it was the Ordnungsamt. Responsible for keeping order, cause without them, the germans would be outta control. Jaywalking, playing loud music, mowing their lawns on Sunday, not sorting your garbage properly, not using your bicycle bell properly, walking on the bike path... watch out, they have your picture now!

Hi-five

Edit:

Which could explain why the other riders ignored them. Most of the local ones have seen to many beer gardens. If it was Bavarian Cop I can guarentee everyone would have stopped . Still you were smart to stop.