May Day Anti-Nazi Demonstration

113 posts in this topic

Tip 1b: Bring any necessary cash with you, as all the ATMs in something like a three-mile radius of Kotti will be closed.

The best bit of advise on this thread. Thanks Dessa I totally forgot the all the ATMs are boarded up.

I personally stay clear of Kreuzberg during this time...

Yeah anyone else living in the PLB area might want to take a look at this pdf here that shows the blockades/rally point.

http://jpberlin.de/antifa-pankow/pberg/1-mai09/S-Bhf_Bornholmer.pdf

Source: http://www.1-mai-nazifrei.tk/

Not sure how bad it's going to get so going to stay home tomorrow to keep an eye on things.

And a previous blockade of a Nazi demonstration in Dresden earlier this year was not only attended by "everybody" (including the CDU politicians, presumably not closeted antifa activists) and was mostly peaceful (except of course from those limited areas where those Antifa a-holes hanged):

Just to clarify this, as far as I know there were no CDU politicians at the actual blockade in Dresden Neustadt - they were at the symbolic human chain in the Altstadt far away from the protest. There's more discussion about this in this thread, especially by annaf...

Edit: okay dessa, just that it reads "numerous anti-war demonstrations,..., neo-nazi marches...", implying you were on the neo-nazi marches, which I assume wasn't the case. :rolleyes: Knew what you meant anyway!

Is this the thread where I boast about how old I am, how many hot dinners I've eaten, and how many famous protests I've been on?

Because I have lots to share!

Anyway, I live in X-berg, staying in tomorrow. Maybe.

^I think that the english-speaking expats actually come on here to make the jokes cos there's so little humour here in Saxony... :P

But I guess nobody knows where that kind of people will be, or whether they would attend the demonstration or it would be taken over by Antifa.

That's pretty much my No.1 reason for not going. I just have a feeling that because it's going to be 1.Mai there are going to be more clowns out- but like the Northern Territoty (Australia) tourism ads say "You'll never never know, if you never never go".

Die Polizei have been placing the crowd barriers like crazy all over the place here in Prenzlberg. Attached is a photo I took today.

Edit: The Local just posted an interesting article related to parts of this topic.

post-43521-12726278361924_thumb.jpg

Anti-Nazi Demo my ass... that is a lame excuse for a bunch of equally intolerant and hateful hoodlums to get together and disrupt polite society... the whole May Day thing in Berlin is out of control and due to the extremely weak disposition of the local government and equally and ineffective police to actually protect and serve (and maybe a bit of well needed ass kicking) law abiding and tax paying citizens are those who suffer...

if you are going to bring in water tanks... use them... fire those rubber bullets... issue a wide memorandum... "we see hoods, we beat"... at least you know... if they begin crying and whining (like most wimps do and let's face it most of them are wimps to begin with) "police is aggressive, they are nazi like, blah, blah, blah.." who cares? Would be finally good to see a REAL LEADER in this country have the balls and back bone to stand up and say "yeah, so the fuck what? We arent putting up with this shit any longer... GOT THE MESSAGE?"

Im not suggesting a Guillani 24/7 approach (although Berlin could use a bit of cleaning of the massive corruption and extreme no responsibility accepting lame duck elected officials)... but in particular instances where they keep having the same old fucking problems: be like Dirty Harry... just kick some ass... amazing how these hoddie dorks and so called nazis are so fucking lazy to get a job, brush their teeth or do anything for anyone much less themselves... but have energy when it comes to causing a ruckus...

Berlin: get a spine and grow some balls!

Went out to get some food shopping just now and noticed around PLB that there are lots of small piles of old furniture, chairs, lots of wooden stuff put out for collection. I don't think a worse day could have been picked, I hope this gets cleared up before tomorrow otherwise I imagine these lovely little piles of combustible rubbish will either be used as kindling to set fire to cars or as missiles to be thrown at "the man".

Berlin fail.

Not a Berlin fail, dcgi. Berlin doesn't have Sperrmüll pickups unless they're ordered. The people who put all the stuff out are probably many of the same people who will set it on fire and/or throw it at Nazis/the police tomorrow, or at least sympathizers.

Anti-Nazi Demo my ass... that is a lame excuse for a bunch of equally intolerant and hateful hoodlums to get together and disrupt polite society... the whole May Day thing in Berlin is out of control and due to the extremely weak disposition of the local government and equally and ineffective police to actually protect and serve (and maybe a bit of well needed ass kicking) law abiding and tax paying citizens are those who suffer...

if you are going to bring in water tanks... use them... fire those rubber bullets... issue a wide memorandum... "we see hoods, we beat"... at least you know... if they begin crying and whining (like most wimps do and let's face it most of them are wimps to begin with) "police is aggressive, they are nazi like, blah, blah, blah.." who cares? Would be finally good to see a REAL LEADER in this country have the balls and back bone to stand up and say "yeah, so the fuck what? We arent putting up with this shit any longer... GOT THE MESSAGE?"

Im not suggesting a Guillani 24/7 approach (although Berlin could use a bit of cleaning of the massive corruption and extreme no responsibility accepting lame duck elected officials)... but in particular instances where they keep having the same old fucking problems: be like Dirty Harry... just kick some ass... amazing how these hoddie dorks and so called nazis are so fucking lazy to get a job, brush their teeth or do anything for anyone much less themselves... but have energy when it comes to causing a ruckus...

Berlin: get a spine and grow some balls!

Are you kent?

@El Jeffo: hmm ok thanks for the info, I didn't realise that Berlin doesn't have a free Sperrmüll service.

I'm staying in tomorrow anyway to guard the fort, luckily I don't have a car anymore so one less thing to worry about, I just need to bring my girlfriend's bike inside and that's about it.

It's my first May-day in Berlin so not sure how it will go down, (there's a big rally about 2 mins walk away from me) I'm sure everything will be fine, but 'hope for the best, plan for the worst' and all that.

I'm staying in and watching all three Lord Of The Rings movies, back to back.

They Dance around a Maypole and eat toffee apples

I think you're living in the wrong country..

My hausmeister just replaced our old awesome wooden front door with one that is about 85% glass. We live on Warschauer Strasse, right near Boxi Platz. Interesting timing.

Last year.. just wanted to know what "could" happen (videos also available on youtube in 720p)

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GQ2qHpw5I

(Karma lol @3:46)

Part 2:

Charging my video camera and have fresh batteries in the photo camera, will be sure to upload if I capture anything interesting.. I hope I don't :unsure:

Then my apologies, dcgi - I stand corrected. AFAIK Berlin had ended the regular Sperrmüll collections years ago.

I have to say this whole business is really making me crazy mad. We live right on the corner of Schönhauser Allee and Bornholmerstrasse and have to put up with this stuff being directly outside our windows. Fortunately for us, we live high up. How is this meeting of two very angry, prone-to-violence, extremists groups even legal?? People live here! Kids, families, etc etc.!!! Our entire Saturday will now be spent cooped up inside with mobs of loud, irrational people just in front of our door. If I had more money, I'd be going away for the weekend.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but this seems ridiculous to me. The city is all but providing the extremists -- on both sides -- a platform on which to stage their violent activity. It's like "let's see what happens if we fill a room with gas and then light a match." Berlin is a fantastic place to live, but that the city is allowing this kind of thing to happen makes my blood boil.