May Day Anti-Nazi Demonstration

113 posts in this topic

I remember when May Day was about dancing around a maypole, It was nice, there were toffee apples and ribbons... No Neo Nazis, No Druggies, No Tossers just looking for a fight.

I tend to leave Organized Anachy like that to the hooligans like like a good fight.

Antifa and Neo Nazis are as iritating as each other, And I am SICK to death of reading NAZIS RAUS sprayed on every door in NeuKoln... the Nazis ARE raus, they raused in 1945.

I want my Maypole and toffee apples back!

these arse holes have taken May day and ruined it.

Regular People dont get involved with sh@t like that. They Dance around a Maypole and eat toffee apples

Hi All,

I was just reading about some cars being burn, in previous years!! I live in Prenzlauer Berg and my car is foreign, and of course its parked in the street... Do you think its dangerous and risky?

Thanks!!

Marina

Tip 1: if you go to May Day this year, be sure not to be right in the intersection of Oranien- and Adalbertstraßes in flip flops when the shit hits the fan.

Tip 1b: Bring any necessary cash with you, as all the ATMs in something like a three-mile radius of Kotti will be closed.

Tip 2: Get your kids out of there before dusk. Actually, bringing your kids to a noisy and crowded street full of dirty and smelly drunks and hipsters with all manner of garbage and broken glass underfoot isn't really my idea of a nice family outing in the first place, but to each his own.

Tip 3: When civilians start throwing potentially deadly projectiles at the police, not really caring or even noticing where they land, it is time to go.

Scaremonger much DD? It's worth pointing out that the Mayday punk/fuckwit/police troubles have steadily declined in the last few years, mainly due to a change in police tactics.

My tip for the May day fun is if you don't want to get involed in the problems then to avoid wearing black hoodies that day/night :ph34r:

or pop along to The Travolta where there will be a few english speackers hanging out watching the madness/entertainment

BC :P

The GDR doesn't exist anymore, the Bundesrepublik does. And before WW2 it was a traditional turmoil day, too. I wouldn't call the sanitized GDR Festtag a tradition.And the mayday traditions nowadays are western. Union demos and some riff raff here and there.And like Kato said, the first verse will brand you and it will lighten up some people around you, especially on mayday.Sing it and be at the receiving end.

you see, we don't fit together - west and east. We have different traditions, attitudes, opinions, habits....

This reunification was a total nonsense. When you'd been living separated for 40 years, you're not one nation any more. Especially when their political systems were so different. You Wessis might demolish your country on May 1st. We Ossis don't.

I want to have a some fun on this day.

And the May Day is a day for ordinary people. To celebrate your achievement, to enjoy the spring and the fresh green, and maybe to fight for an improvement of the living conditions of workers. But these rioters turn the meaning of this day upside down. People have to stay at home and cannot celebrate this day, coz it's too dangerous to go on the street.

The May Day is not a day to behave like idiots. For that we have carnival.

May Day has always been a day for riots and combat against the bourgeouisie, since the 1880s. Look up the Blutmai of 1929 and compare that to the measly little rioting nowadays.

Even in the GDR the day was nominally the Kampftag der Arbeiter.

You Wessis might demolish your country on May 1st.

¿Qué?

Kampftag meant to demonstrate your strength and your power, but not to destroy what you've built up. They destroy cars of workers, they destroy their houses and streets. So what's the sense of this? It's never a good idea to destroy anything at all.

If they want to fight against the bourgeoisie, they should do this in a reasonable way. They won't reach anything with a burning car and broken window panes.

Scaremonger much DD? It's worth pointing out that the Mayday punk/fuckwit/police troubles have steadily declined in the last few years, mainly due to a change in police tactics.

This is only my fourth May Day here, so I'm not able to compare to previous years. But I was there in the thick of things last year when it got hairy and I don't think it's scaremongering to advise you against wearing flip flops when there is about sixteen metric tons of broken glass on the ground and hurtling (yet intact) through the air. I don't think it's paranoid to advise people to avoid standing underneath a street light that is in the process of being rocked out of its concrete base before it comes hurtling down to the ground.

Couldn't find an ATM, was told none of them were open.

Wouldn't bring any animal there who couldn't consent.

A riot's not a good thing to be stuck in the middle of if you haven't got any armor or at least a big stick.

How does any of that amount to "scaremongering"?

And before we go on about the relativity of perception, Chocky, remember where I am from and how old I am. I have been involved in as many protests as you've eaten hot dinners. I was there for every second of the famous Battle of Seattle, besides numerous anti-war demonstrations, LEIU conferences, Neo-Nazi marches and of course the only Mardi Gras worth remembering in the history of our town. I've been tear gassed, pepper sprayed and rubber bulleted. What's not happened is that I was in the middle of a crowd of drunk, angry and disorganized to the point of comedy, people lobbing glass bottles in the general direction of the police while hundreds of people are standing between them... while wearing flip flops.

dessa - good post, although I assume you want an "anti" on the third line of the final paragraph... :rolleyes:

How do you know how many hot dinners i've had dessa? Presuming a bit much isn't it?

The bun fights i've seen on Mayday in Berlin since i've lived here are nothing compared to the demos that turned nasty in London, (including the anti Poll Tax and anti Criminal Justice Bill riots, both of which took place when you were probably still at school).

Thank everybody for your replies, but I am not a rookie in Berlin and I wasn't talking about the "Revolutionary May Day" demonstrations in Kreuzberg (I used to live there, the day is nice till about 5 pm); but about the Nazi parade in Prenzlauer Berg/Lichtenberg and the attempts to block it, which - according to the website http://www.1-mai-nazifrei.tk/ - are certainly not only an Antifa thing (read the other participating bodies in the bottom of the page). And a previous blockade of a Nazi demonstration in Dresden earlier this year was not only attended by "everybody" (including the CDU politicians, presumably not closeted antifa activists) and was mostly peaceful (except of course from those limited areas where those Antifa a-holes hanged):

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20100213-25237.html

But I guess nobody knows where that kind of people will be, or whether they would attend the demonstration or it would be taken over by Antifa.

Just in case dessa or anyone else feels like having a scrap, there's a big Nazi demo scheduled to take place in Pankow tomorrow.

andyandy: No, I guess I don't want an "anti" if you're talking about the Nazi march part? There are enclaves of Nazis who march with permits through some of the backwoods of the northwest. Naturally we were anti but the actual demonstrations are indeed led by rednecks carrying confederate flags and wearing white hoods and crap. And the police protect them.

Chocky, I'd guess you've had roughly ten to fifteen more years worth of hot dinners than I have? Certainly you're acquainted with the notion of a joke or even a sense of humor? I mean not judging by your general bitter tones but I'm sure you've read about them in books or something.

edit: didn't you flounce like two weeks ago? What happened, you get your alter egos yoinked? :lol: