Aufenthaltstitel electronic residence permit (eAT)

405 posts in this topic

howdy all

I've been in the country for 3 years (yesterday). I'm a non-EU national (Aussie) but married a german in March 2011 and after which I got the eAT card and sat and passed the A1 proficiency test. I had to touch base with them after 12 months (March 2012) to effectively extend my Aufenthaltstitel/-erlaubnis for a further 2 years (totalling 3 years).

Now my 3 years is nearly up (in March 2014)... can someone tell me what my options are?

What changes for me? Do I get a different kind of ID card?

thanks in advance

ok so I got the forms from the KVR to fill out and need to tick a box regarind "application for issue or prolongation of residence permit"

1. Aufenthaltserlaubnis
  2. Blaue Karte EU
  3. Niederlassungserlaubnis
  4. Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt - EG
I think I want to get Niederlassungserlaubnis, but am not sure what the difference between each of these are!

Anyone been through this process already and can put in their two cents worth?

Has anyone been able to make the aufenthaltstitel online function to work?

Just applied for a renewal of my residency permit and they sent me a letter with some pin codes (much like the banks do) I went here to login but I'm getting an error message. I also did a search under BAMF.de but nothing there either. On my abholschein there is a link which takes you to the online portal for Munich but again no luck.

Second question, and this is the only one I really care about. Do you send you a letter when eAT is ready?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Has anyone been able to make the aufenthaltstitel online function to work?

I believe you need a fancy card reader to make use of the Online Identification function.

Never tried that myself though (mainly because the cost of the device offsets any possible benefit I could have imagined)

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Second question, and this is the only one I really care about. Do you send you a letter when eAT is ready?

If you meant 'Do they send you a letter when eAT is ready', then the answer is Yes.

1 hour ago, raddops said:

If you meant 'Do they send you a letter when eAT is ready', then the answer is Yes.

Thanks that's all I really needed to know. when we moved here the company paid someone to help us get the necessary paperwork so that's why I was a bit unsure. 

23 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Just applied for a renewal of my residency permit and they sent me a letter with some pin codes (much like the banks do) I went here to login but I'm getting an error message.

You have to change the 5-digit "transport PIN" which you got in the letter to a 6-digit personalized PIN. You either do this when you get the eAT using their hardware (... they'll probably not even know what you're talking about since no one uses eID) or you do it at home using the eAT, a eID-certified card reader and the AusweisApp2 software. To actually use the eID function you'd need that hard- and software anyway.

The other codes used in connection with eID are the PUK (also in the letter) to unlock the card after you entered the PIN wrong three times and the CAN (on the eAT, not in the letter) which is used as a security item if you entered the PIN wrong twice.

The eID function of the eAt is virtually identical to that of the Personalausweis. Outside a limited list of municipal, state and federal institutions eID is currently supported by a grand total of 7 insurance companies, 4 banks and about ten other companies or organizations, in most cases for only limited services, single forms or services that have to first be supported by others.

The end-user functionality is currently somewhere around zero. All you save is the time it takes you to log into online portals and stuff like that. There's a somewhat interesting field test by one bank for an ATM where you can withdraw cash - for free - from up to four connected bank accounts (by ELV) using the eID functionality, i.e. you don't have to carry around cards for those accounts and remember separate PINs. The only ATM for that is (gee, where else) located at the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin, where the eID cards are made.

On 8/19/2016, 10:24:14, kato said:

The eID function of the eAt is virtually identical to that of the Personalausweis. Outside a limited list of municipal, state and federal institutions eID is currently supported by a grand total of 7 insurance companies, 4 banks and about ten other companies or organizations, in most cases for only limited services, single forms or services that have to first be supported by others.

The end-user functionality is currently somewhere around zero. All you save is the time it takes you to log into online portals and stuff like that. There's a somewhat interesting field test by one bank for an ATM where you can withdraw cash - for free - from up to four connected bank accounts (by ELV) using the eID functionality, i.e. you don't have to carry around cards for those accounts and remember separate PINs. The only ATM for that is (gee, where else) located at the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin, where the eID cards are made.

Is all this information still valid, or functionality has been extended since then, and it is now worth to activate the online function?

The only useful functionality that i see is that Deutsche Post is offering PostIdent using eID. But: Only if the company that buys the PostIdent service for identifying customers selects to use that.

As perhaps interesting variants there's also a few cloud services that offer authentication through eID as a possible option.

Applications are listed here - though the German version of that particular page has a lot more. Offhand compared to back then a couple banks and insurance companies dropped eID support.

Having to buy a card reader, and keep it, which i see as the biggest downside of the OnlineAusweisfunktion, seems to have been eliminated. Those who have an Android smartphone with the NFC function can use their phones as the card reader.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for iOS users for the time being. :(

Video tutorials are available here. (In German)

i grew up in Germany and i travel back n forth as parents have retired there. i translated this letter but i really don't what this permit is. At first glance i thought it was a scam. Can someone help me get my head around this?

thank you

Kim

Great, so I get to pay an extra 67€ or so for a card that is not a legal ID?

Since no one is obligated to accept it as ID and, has been made abundantly clear, one is not required to carry it or any ID, it is just a way to get my information. I guess that is fine but I would appreciate a ID similar in function to the German's Ausweis.

I have a unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis (uNE) and didn't bother getting one since my last US passport had my Niederlassungerlaubnis. Nor did any Amt inform me of the requirement to get an eAT (Germany, Rule No 1, you have to know all the rules).

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__78.html

and due on 31 August 2021.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__105b.html

My question is: does anyone know of any penalty for not getting your card? They made it clear earlier old uNE were to be respected (bring along the old passport). Or does anyone know a reason to get the card if you have in your old passport the uNE. (It is pretty rare if not unheard of to have to show the NE, so I don't see it as an issue. Since I don't have to carry ID (ad nauseum) when the police bring me home for me to get my ID, all my old passports are there.)

3 hours ago, mako1 said:

My question is: does anyone know of any penalty for not getting your card? They made it clear earlier old uNE were to be respected (bring along the old passport). Or does anyone know a reason to get the card if you have in your old passport the uNE. (It is pretty rare if not unheard of to have to show the NE, so I don't see it as an issue. Since I don't have to carry ID (ad nauseum) when the police bring me home for me to get my ID, all my old passports are there.)

I have the exact same question. Himself told me that I will need it soon yet it is impossible to get an appointment.

On 7/8/2021, 2:31:28, mako1 said:

Great, so I get to pay an extra 67€ or so for a card that is not a legal ID?

Since no one is obligated to accept it as ID and, has been made abundantly clear, one is not required to carry it or any ID, it is just a way to get my information. I guess that is fine but I would appreciate a ID similar in function to the German's Ausweis.

I have a unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis (uNE) and didn't bother getting one since my last US passport had my Niederlassungerlaubnis. Nor did any Amt inform me of the requirement to get an eAT (Germany, Rule No 1, you have to know all the rules).

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__78.html

and due on 31 August 2021.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__105b.html

i wouldn't bother until you have to. By the way, I think it's just an NE. An NE is always unbefristet. Otherwise it's an AE :)

Just got my new card after I got a new passport. It's a new design. The cool thing is, THEY MAILED IT TO ME AT HOME DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS! IT WAS BRILLIANT! The letter is clearly outdated and states that the ABH is closed due to the restrictions (it isn't), but I'm not going to complain. I just hope they expand the mailing of documents. The post is generally reliable, and they can send it in a secure manner. Hey, the US sends passports and immigration stuff using regular mail (maybe not the best :)) so I think secure post would be a good compromise.

I received a new card last week and this is what i was told.  

The card is sufficient as identification in Berlin (where i live).    For travel outside of Berlin, one needs to bring passport and a small slip of paper (which is not attached with adhesive) along with the passport.   

I mentioned to the very friendly and professional Beamter that I was glad to have an identification card which is the size of a credit card, but disappointed that a loose piece of paper is needed outside of my city of residence.   She rolled her eyes and explained that everyone in her office feels the same way. 

By the way, even though Germany announced that there was some flexibility on expired documents back in 2020, as far as I know, a NE is only valid if the document to which it is attached is valid.   In other words, in normal times, a NE in an expired passport is not valid. 

Good luck. 

To those who recently got their eAT renewed... did you receive an appointment letter to renew? If so, how early did it arrive? Thanks!

@fraufruit - they make appointments quite quickly in München. I have already declined two in the last two weeks. I wanted to get more info.

According to the rules, the end of the acceptance for any non electronic Aufenthaltstitel (including an unbefristete NE in an expired passport or any non electronic NE) is the end of August 2021. It sounds like we are required to have one even if we have the unbefristete status. They actually say the acceptance of the old NE passport was a mistake made my some beamte, according to i4a.

§105b AufenthG:

"Aufenthaltstitel ...[Aufzählung, beinhaltet Deine unbefr. AE], ... sind ..., spätestens aber bis zum Ablauf des 31. August 2021 als eigenständige Dokumente mit elektronischem Speicher- und Verarbeitungsmedium nach § 78 auszustellen."

But I guess you are like me, been in sausage land for years and/or married to one of 'em since someone else was Chancellor/in. The advantage there is we should qualify for the same looser travel restrictions as someone with a Daueraufenthalt-EU:  (more accurate, the DauerEU has the same rights as the NE).

Die Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU erlischt nach § 51 Abs. 9 AufenthG nur, wenn

..(list of things that are not relevant)

Analog zur Niederlassungserlaubnis erlischt die Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU nicht bei einem längerfristigen Aufenthalt außerhalb der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, wenn sich der Ausländer länger als 15 Jahre rechtmäßig in Deutschland aufgehalten hat, sein Lebensunterhalt gesichert ist und kein Ausweisungsinteresse besteht (§ 51 Abs. 9 Satz 2 AufenthG).[4] Bei mit Deutschen verheirateten Ausländern erlischt sie unabhängig von einer Mindestaufenthaltsdauer nicht.[5]

I don't remember ever having to pay for the stickers. And having to renew something that doesn't expire also seems a bit silly. The dumbest part is they couldn't make it as functional as a Deutsche Ausweis. That I would sign up for, even if it had a big red A on it for Auslander.

10 minutes ago, mako1 said:

they make appointments quite quickly in München. I have already declined two in the last two weeks. I wanted to get more info

Please tell me who you contacted and how.

I probably won't be back in Germany until end of Sept. or in Oct. but maybe we can get rolling online.

On 19.8.2016, 10:24:14, kato said:

The end-user functionality is currently somewhere around zero.

Except if you want to use OLAF to get yourself a Führungszeugnis online.

Which I did successfully last autumn, but now kid#3 needs one, and our Bürgeramt is essentially non-functional at the moment, so OLAF is the best choice BUT I can't find her pin/puk letter. Is there some way of regenerating that?