Aufenthaltstitel electronic residence permit (eAT)

392 posts in this topic

howdy all

I've been in the country for 3 years (yesterday). I'm a non-EU national (Aussie) but married a german in March 2011 and after which I got the eAT card and sat and passed the A1 proficiency test. I had to touch base with them after 12 months (March 2012) to effectively extend my Aufenthaltstitel/-erlaubnis for a further 2 years (totalling 3 years).

Now my 3 years is nearly up (in March 2014)... can someone tell me what my options are?

What changes for me? Do I get a different kind of ID card?

thanks in advance

ok so I got the forms from the KVR to fill out and need to tick a box regarind "application for issue or prolongation of residence permit"

1. Aufenthaltserlaubnis
  2. Blaue Karte EU
  3. Niederlassungserlaubnis
  4. Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt - EG
I think I want to get Niederlassungserlaubnis, but am not sure what the difference between each of these are!

Anyone been through this process already and can put in their two cents worth?

Has anyone been able to make the aufenthaltstitel online function to work?

Just applied for a renewal of my residency permit and they sent me a letter with some pin codes (much like the banks do) I went here to login but I'm getting an error message. I also did a search under BAMF.de but nothing there either. On my abholschein there is a link which takes you to the online portal for Munich but again no luck.

Second question, and this is the only one I really care about. Do you send you a letter when eAT is ready?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Has anyone been able to make the aufenthaltstitel online function to work?

I believe you need a fancy card reader to make use of the Online Identification function.

Never tried that myself though (mainly because the cost of the device offsets any possible benefit I could have imagined)

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Second question, and this is the only one I really care about. Do you send you a letter when eAT is ready?

If you meant 'Do they send you a letter when eAT is ready', then the answer is Yes.

1 hour ago, raddops said:

If you meant 'Do they send you a letter when eAT is ready', then the answer is Yes.

Thanks that's all I really needed to know. when we moved here the company paid someone to help us get the necessary paperwork so that's why I was a bit unsure. 

23 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Just applied for a renewal of my residency permit and they sent me a letter with some pin codes (much like the banks do) I went here to login but I'm getting an error message.

You have to change the 5-digit "transport PIN" which you got in the letter to a 6-digit personalized PIN. You either do this when you get the eAT using their hardware (... they'll probably not even know what you're talking about since no one uses eID) or you do it at home using the eAT, a eID-certified card reader and the AusweisApp2 software. To actually use the eID function you'd need that hard- and software anyway.

The other codes used in connection with eID are the PUK (also in the letter) to unlock the card after you entered the PIN wrong three times and the CAN (on the eAT, not in the letter) which is used as a security item if you entered the PIN wrong twice.

The eID function of the eAt is virtually identical to that of the Personalausweis. Outside a limited list of municipal, state and federal institutions eID is currently supported by a grand total of 7 insurance companies, 4 banks and about ten other companies or organizations, in most cases for only limited services, single forms or services that have to first be supported by others.

The end-user functionality is currently somewhere around zero. All you save is the time it takes you to log into online portals and stuff like that. There's a somewhat interesting field test by one bank for an ATM where you can withdraw cash - for free - from up to four connected bank accounts (by ELV) using the eID functionality, i.e. you don't have to carry around cards for those accounts and remember separate PINs. The only ATM for that is (gee, where else) located at the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin, where the eID cards are made.

On 8/19/2016, 10:24:14, kato said:

The eID function of the eAt is virtually identical to that of the Personalausweis. Outside a limited list of municipal, state and federal institutions eID is currently supported by a grand total of 7 insurance companies, 4 banks and about ten other companies or organizations, in most cases for only limited services, single forms or services that have to first be supported by others.

The end-user functionality is currently somewhere around zero. All you save is the time it takes you to log into online portals and stuff like that. There's a somewhat interesting field test by one bank for an ATM where you can withdraw cash - for free - from up to four connected bank accounts (by ELV) using the eID functionality, i.e. you don't have to carry around cards for those accounts and remember separate PINs. The only ATM for that is (gee, where else) located at the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin, where the eID cards are made.

Is all this information still valid, or functionality has been extended since then, and it is now worth to activate the online function?

The only useful functionality that i see is that Deutsche Post is offering PostIdent using eID. But: Only if the company that buys the PostIdent service for identifying customers selects to use that.

As perhaps interesting variants there's also a few cloud services that offer authentication through eID as a possible option.

Applications are listed here - though the German version of that particular page has a lot more. Offhand compared to back then a couple banks and insurance companies dropped eID support.

Having to buy a card reader, and keep it, which i see as the biggest downside of the OnlineAusweisfunktion, seems to have been eliminated. Those who have an Android smartphone with the NFC function can use their phones as the card reader.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for iOS users for the time being. :(

Video tutorials are available here. (In German)

i grew up in Germany and i travel back n forth as parents have retired there. i translated this letter but i really don't what this permit is. At first glance i thought it was a scam. Can someone help me get my head around this?

thank you

Kim